Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Where is the best area in the US to get the most of stars light
@jarredBrown
Anyplace on the map darker that the Blue/violet 1690249470980.pngor Greyscale 1690249511180.png:
1690249300665.png

Zoomable map available from Light pollution map

Lots of options available out in the West and SW since they are fairly open. Midwest is kinda hard. Best place I know about is the the UP in MI (ESP if you get Aurora instead of Milky way core), or Mark Twain NF in MO. Your best bets on the East coast are likely Baxter State Part in Maine, Haut Island is I'm told is awesome as well. A friend also has Great Milky way pictures from Arcadia NP.
A bit further south Monongahela Natl forest on PA, the Okefenokee NWR in GA, or Tates Hell State Forest / Appalachia NF SW of Tallahassee FL.

AK is awesome. and HI is doable if you can get away from the tourist areas Volcanoes NP is great as is the Na Pali Coast on the NW shore of Kauai. If you are on Maui maybe try Haleakala but dress WARM! at 10k feet you'll have a Hell of a view!:
1690250522895.png

Regards
Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: NMNomad and TCorona

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Oh man.. I love this kind of stuff. Don't know why, but night photography just seems like a whole 'nother level for some reason. Hoping to get some actual 'camp' shots this weekend, but here are a couple I snapped with my phone on an impromptu Joshua Tree visit while in the area for work a few years ago.

View attachment 268104

View attachment 268105
Wow, how did you manage to get such clear shots? Does your phone camera have adjustable ISO settings?

AviatorJones

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Georgia, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Jones
Wow, how did you manage to get such clear shots? Does your phone camera have adjustable ISO settings?
I can't remember if I downloaded a different camera app or not, but I know I had found a way to do manual settings, so I was tinkering with everything. These are the two best of about 10-15 attempts. Ha

GroovinMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Smith
Oh man.. I love this kind of stuff. Don't know why, but night photography just seems like a whole 'nother level for some reason. Hoping to get some actual 'camp' shots this weekend, but here are a couple I snapped with my phone on an impromptu Joshua Tree visit while in the area for work a few years ago.

View attachment 268104

View attachment 268105
Incredible night shots!