Next generation snatch-block

• HTML tutorial

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

2CEAB435-FE45-4C43-89EC-D48D6C83BB69.jpeg Or rather, snatch-ring.
I picked this up on Friday and put it to the test yesterday, works like a charm. It designed to work with synthetic rope and shackle.
For reference, a Warn snatch-block with shackle weighs over 9 lbs.

Reactions: MazeVX

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Interesting. The coefficient of friction between the aluminum and nylon is only .06. Given the geometry of the wheel youd have an effective coefficient of about .02 to perhaps .05. In other words, very roughly only 2-5% of your pulling force would be wasted as heat, which is probably as good as any metal shackle that doesnt ride on ball nearings.

Of course, as mentioned, this doesnt account for mud and such. But, I would honestly be more worried about damaging the soft shackle in that situation.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
That's pretty neat. Gonna have to do some more looking into this. Really need to drop some weight from my recovery gear bag.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Just a thought. Harbor freight, sells one that works fine for cheap! Most work fine also with synthetic winch line, if you start new and only use synthetic winch line. With one of the coupons, like $10 Dollars! Works great for me! Vance.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Oh I definitely like this...no bearings to clean or grease. Never worry about rust....I'm getting this set up for sure...

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Every time I've had to use a snatch block it was a muddy nasty situation, I'm concerned about that and wear on the soft shackle.
I agree, it might work great in a dry desert, but not in a mud pit, or after slipping off the top of deep ruts into even deeper mud! That is when you really need the advantage of a snatch block! But for those of you that do buy and use this in muddy conditions, please report how this product worked out for you? Vance.

Last edited:
Reactions: madcratebuilder

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Soft shackles are so light, easily carry a spare if headed out for a weekend of gritty winching. That said - it’s the strongest, low friction fibre made by humans. RED made these rings (inspired by sailing rigging) for Race winching, designed to be abused it seems [emoji108]