Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Hello everyone - I hope this finds you all healthy and well.

I am a complete newbie in the overland community, and truly just getting started. I am going through a transition (of sorts) with my primary hobby, which has led me down this path. I am an avid upland bird hunter, chasing grouse, pheasant, and any other upland game all over - seeing as how there are very few wild birds in Georgia, I must travel to pursue my game. Over the last few seasons, I have really developed a taste for getting further off the beaten path than my peers, being able to explore and look for birds. Now, I want to be able to get far off the path and set up a base camp to work out of....truly getting off grid, and away from the crowds.

I am not new to camping, only to this style. I have lived out of various tents (from an ultralight backpacking hammock to a 15" canvas bell shaped with wood stove). All of which have worked for me, but as I age (45 this month), I am looking for a little more "ease of set up" and the ability to go further.

I'm here to read, learn, and hopefully get some mentoring. I am really going through a lot of decision making right now with my vehicle choice, build vs buy for a trailer rig, etc.

Current Vehicle:
2016 Ford F250 SCREW - Diesel
170K miles (in 4 years....as I said, I travel A LOT to chase birds)
FX4 Package (FWIW) - but completely stock underneath
Camper shell, Decked drawers, and slide for dog kennels and storage

I am considering moving to a new Ford Ranger, upgrading the suspension, etc. and pulling the backseats out to outfit for the dogs and firearm storage. Although I absolutely LOVE my truck now, my concern is over the wheelbase and overall width. My thought is, the smaller package may work better for these new pursuits. But again....I am all ears for advice.

I am also leaning toward the path of a sleep in trailer rig, with awning. This is primarily based on comfort factor in inclement weather. Although, the sticker shock on these rigs is a factor as well.

I will be reading and learning - please feel free to share your thoughts!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Welcome to OB from northern VA! I grew up in Marietta and used to hunt quail down in Albany. Welcome.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone - I hope this finds you all healthy and well.

I am a complete newbie in the overland community, and truly just getting started. I am going through a transition (of sorts) with my primary hobby, which has led me down this path. I am an avid upland bird hunter, chasing grouse, pheasant, and any other upland game all over - seeing as how there are very few wild birds in Georgia, I must travel to pursue my game. Over the last few seasons, I have really developed a taste for getting further off the beaten path than my peers, being able to explore and look for birds. Now, I want to be able to get far off the path and set up a base camp to work out of....truly getting off grid, and away from the crowds.

I am not new to camping, only to this style. I have lived out of various tents (from an ultralight backpacking hammock to a 15" canvas bell shaped with wood stove). All of which have worked for me, but as I age (45 this month), I am looking for a little more "ease of set up" and the ability to go further.

I'm here to read, learn, and hopefully get some mentoring. I am really going through a lot of decision making right now with my vehicle choice, build vs buy for a trailer rig, etc.

Current Vehicle:
2016 Ford F250 SCREW - Diesel
170K miles (in 4 years....as I said, I travel A LOT to chase birds)
FX4 Package (FWIW) - but completely stock underneath
Camper shell, Decked drawers, and slide for dog kennels and storage

I am considering moving to a new Ford Ranger, upgrading the suspension, etc. and pulling the backseats out to outfit for the dogs and firearm storage. Although I absolutely LOVE my truck now, my concern is over the wheelbase and overall width. My thought is, the smaller package may work better for these new pursuits. But again....I am all ears for advice.

I am also leaning toward the path of a sleep in trailer rig, with awning. This is primarily based on comfort factor in inclement weather. Although, the sticker shock on these rigs is a factor as well.

I will be reading and learning - please feel free to share your thoughts!
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representatives to you for local information are @rrjones2u & @NC-Trooper
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

welcome!

what area of georgia are you in? we started going to north georgia and just did a trip to the helen area a few months ago...LOVE north georgia
I live in North Georgia - in the foothills of said mountains, right outside of Dahlonega. Most of my free time is spent in these mountains and national park!

Reactions: grubworm

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Welcome to OB from Texas. You’re in the right spot! Tons of info here, you’ll definitely be able to find a solution to get you further into the wild and closer to those birds.