Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m looking into a little hand held... was going to skip it... but it might fit my needs better than a dual band mobile rig... I’m thinking I need a better “Base Station” rig than my FT-2900... it’s a great radio and I’m loving the heck out of it, but feel I’m seriously lacking air time.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I’m looking into a little hand held... was going to skip it... but it might fit my needs better than a dual band mobile rig... I’m thinking I need a better “Base Station” rig than my FT-2900... it’s a great radio and I’m loving the heck out of it, but feel I’m seriously lacking air time.
I get "lacking airtime"! I have yet to make a contact dispute numerous attempts. I am ready to pull the pin on a ftm-400 but have realized shipping is out 4+weeks.

Reactions: M Rose

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I have decided the 400 will be purchased.

Can you recommend an antenna? I have a large solid steel front bumper. I would like to hard mount (drill into) the flat surface on the bumper on the driverside. Then I can run a long antenna when I need it. Would this provide the required ground plane?
View attachment 146253
Absolutely!!! more than enough ground plane for any mobile antenna. This is what I have on my Jeep. It works fantastic. Diamond Antenna Dual-Band Mobile Antennas SG7900A
One thing to keep in mind when It comes to mobile antennas is that the ground plane only needs to be the length of the antenna itself. Yes, there is much more to discuss on that topic but I will spare you the boring details. haha. You will love that FTM400. Its is fantastic!

Reactions: Bugeyz

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I get "lacking airtime"! I have yet to make a contact dispute numerous attempts. I am ready to pull the pin on a ftm-400 but have realized shipping is out 4+weeks.
Ship from HRO to your home in Kennewick... then have wife send it to you...

I’m sorry you haven’t made a contact yet... I have already made several contacts, quite a few of those more than once...
Look up the repeaters close to you, and see if there is a “Rag Chew” net scheduled for any of the said repeaters... then jump in on the Net.

When you get back here to the Northwest, there is a Nightly Net at 7:00 pm you could jump onto. We have several Hams from Tri-Cities joining nightly. Home
I also have a list of repeaters in the area to program into that 400 for you if you don’t already have most of them.

robh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1BVL
The Kenwood TM-d710ga is another good option if APRS is something you want. It is only about $40 more than the 400 and from what I understand does APRS a bit better than the Yaesu FTM-400
Hi all, I've seen this mentioned before but not with any specifics. Does anyone have any detail about what actual usability is lacking in the ftm400 aprs compared with the tmd710ga?

Rjsnodgrass

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Snodgrass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FSQ
I love my 400. Been very happy with its performance.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Rjsnodgrass

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Snodgrass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FSQ
The Kenwood TM-d710ga is another good option if APRS is something you want. It is only about $40 more than the 400 and from what I understand does APRS a bit better than the Yaesu FTM-400
Hi all, I've seen this mentioned before but not with any specifics. Does anyone have any detail about what actual usability is lacking in the ftm400 aprs compared with the tmd710ga?
The 400 works great. Very user friendly and feature rich. I would do it again given the choice.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As far as using just the radio for APRS, they are about the same but the ftm-400 does do messaging a bit easier by having an on screen keyboard.
If you want to add a map display for APRS packets you have received, the tm-d710ga does that a bit easier with a simple data cable from the head to the device. You can do it with the ftm-400 as well but it requires a bluetooth device to connect the tablet to the radio (such as this: Mini FTM400 Radio Car Bluetooth Converter Box for FTM-400D FTM400XDR FTM-100D 827719113209 | eBay)

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks @J.W.

One thing to note those are the E (European) models, not sure how much difference there will be (if any) between the E and US models.
I do like the 16 character channel tags and the integrated bluetooth, but wish the comparison mentioned APRS functionality.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I think the only differences are in how the frequency ranges are setup for use in respective areas. And yes, Yaesu is famous for avoiding APRS details. Downright maddening. I have no clue why but it’s always been a thing with them.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
So with these two radios the question isn't one of quality it is one of feature set. So both have built-in GPS and both do APRS and both are dual band 2m/70cm. The question you have to asked yourself is regarding APRS and C4FM. If digital voice is important to you then the 400XDR is the radio you want. But if packet/APRS is more important then the D710 is your go to. The 400XDR is capable of C4FM operation where as the D710 isn't. What the D710 has that the 400XDR doesn't is a hardware TNC that you can directly access. Thus allowing for a more robust and capable APRS system. For me I am more concerned with APRS thus I run a D710.

Reactions: robh

robh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1BVL
What the D710 has that the 400XDR doesn't is a hardware TNC that you can directly access. Thus allowing for a more robust and capable APRS system. For me I am more concerned with APRS thus I run a D710
Thanks RockyMountaineer, that helps... to make sure I understand what you mean... it's not the direct in-radio aprs packet send-receive that's the issue/difference, just the lack of directly-accessible built-in TNC, is that correct?

Last edited:

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Thanks Mathew, that helps... to make sure I understand what you mean... it's not the direct in-radio aprs packet send-receive that's the issue/difference, just the lack of directly-accessible built-in TNC, is that correct?
The D710 has a hardware TNC that is built into the radio that is completely accessible and fully functional by cable and external device. As such you can utilize that TNC to do more then just APRS on the radio. However the 400XDR utilizes a software TNC that isn't as easily accessible or versatile. So both radios will operate APRS natively and both can be used to plot other APRS users on external mapping devices. But the TNC in the D710 is more functional and lets one operate a more robust packet/APRS system if one desires. Example I can run my D710 in APRS mode then go plug my laptop into the back of the control head and run an APRS client (or any packet client) and utilize the radios TNC direct from the laptop. That is something one just can't do with the 400XDR. To some this functionality isn't important. To me it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: robh

Contributor I

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Yates
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7WHY
Service Branch
USAF
Absolutely!!! more than enough ground plane for any mobile antenna. This is what I have on my Jeep. It works fantastic. Diamond Antenna Dual-Band Mobile Antennas SG7900A
One thing to keep in mind when It comes to mobile antennas is that the ground plane only needs to be the length of the antenna itself. Yes, there is much more to discuss on that topic but I will spare you the boring details. haha. You will love that FTM400. Its is fantastic!
Where did you mount the antenna on your Jeep? I have an 18 JL and am considering mounting the antenna on the back of my JL up high so the bottom of the antenna will be about the height of the roof. I have the Yaesu FTM 400XDR. For now I’m using it as my base station, but plan on getting another one in a few months for the Jeep.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Where did you mount the antenna on your Jeep? I have an 18 JL and am considering mounting the antenna on the back of my JL up high so the bottom of the antenna will be about the height of the roof. I have the Yaesu FTM 400XDR. For now I’m using it as my base station, but plan on getting another one in a few months for the Jeep.
I use a Diamond K400 UHF mount on driver side of hood about 1.5 feet from the window. I have the FTM400 in my Jeep (2012 JKU) I have had it in there for about 3 years and its a great radio.

Reactions: RockCreekFisherman

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The FTM-300 and FTM-400 can also do APRS and voice radio simultaneously, right? That's something that bothers me about my FTM-100, that it doesn't work (so either only send out APRS or voice radio on the FTM 100). Thanks.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The FTM-300 and FTM-400 can also do APRS and voice radio simultaneously, right? That's something that bothers me about my FTM-100, that it doesn't work (so either only send out APRS or voice radio on the FTM 100). Thanks.
I have questioned that as well and have been told that the 300 does APRS and Voice at the same time.

Reactions: El-Dracho