Investor

Enthusiast II

Red Lodge, MT, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Beard
Member #

So, I just wanted to start this discussion cause I need a little help choosing some new battery/batteries. I've always just ran a regular ol napa battery or the like cause I've never ran any accessories of my truck. This winter however I'm working on some major upgrades to the old truck like lights, winch, and on board air pump. I'm thinking I want to start off trying out a simple dual battery setup by following a video Mike did on his cruiser. My questions are, (1) what are some good batteries to get and (2) if I decide to stay with just one if I decide down the road I need 2 would I have to buy 2 new ones again or can I run a new qith an older?
Thanks all.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd stick to plain Olde lead acid batteries. And the Napa batteries are about the only good thing Napa sells. They're fine. Try to get batteries with the fluid level eye thing or pop-able caps.

Batteries don't have to match. If your bed is empty, carry a spare battery. No need to even hook it up. Sometimes I'll mount the battery under the bed, on the frame, and connect it to the main with a continuous duty relay, and my upfitter switch. I turn it on to charge the house battery, and when it's switched off, no worries about draining the main. Maybe I'd use a deep cycle battery for the house battery.

Reactions: NBeard78

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I agree with @MidOH. Stay simple until you log a few miles with your gear. If your going to up grade to a good AGM, you cant beat Odyssey. I've done long winch pulls on a single AGM. You already have a good alternator so, that's all your lights and accessories.
The question now is, how many days do you stay in one place? Two days will be pushing the limit on a single battery with a fridge and no solar.

Reactions: NBeard78

NBeard78

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Red Lodge, MT, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just up grade my battery for now and consider a duel when I start adding a fridge. To start with its just going to be stuff that will be on when the vehicle is on.

Reactions: smritte