Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all. My wife and I will be doing some first time overlanding this fall locally in the western NC mountains. If y'all have any suggestions on some good treks, let me know! Thanks
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you in NC is @NC-Trooper
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the group Andrew. Good to have you join us. Do a search in You Tube for the Georgia Traverse Trail. That will get you going.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
Hello all. My wife and I will be doing some first time overlanding this fall locally in the western NC mountains. If y'all have any suggestions on some good treks, let me know! Thanks
Hellow Michael and welcome to OB. I used to live in Charlotte for many years and we have a place up in Linville, NC still. You are in a great spot for wheeling my friend. uwharrie national forest is great for day trips and they hold a lot of off-road and overland events there. It is relatively close to you (sort of). However, if you want the good stuff look at the area around Grandfather mountain. It is a bit of a drive for you but there are great trails all in that area and many spurs off the blue ridge parkway that are great. Prowl around in Gaia and you will find all kinds of great stuff between there and Ashville. Have fun!!!

Bredmon

Rank 0

Contributor I

Orange County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Redmon
Also in the Chapel Hill area, but I don't have a true off-road vehicle. Stock Ford Explorer with AWD. I need to start out on something easy, where I can explore, but not get stuck. Ideally looking for someplace worth driving to, staying for a night or two and then driving home. Thanks for any advice!

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The area around Brown Mountain and Linville Falls is a nice place to start. Either I-40 to Morganton and then North, or US 421 to Boone and head Southwest. Brown Mountain Beach Road, check out Wilson Creek, stop at Betsey's Ole Country Store for conversation on the porch, Edgemont Road, Roseboro Road. Blue Ridge Parkway. Starting around Linville Falls there is Old NC 105, with sites along the road. When you need a break go to Valle Crucis and check out the Mast Country Store, or walk around Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, or Boone.

ChapelThrillOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chapel Hill, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ingle
Member #

Also in the Chapel Hill area, but I don't have a true off-road vehicle. Stock Ford Explorer with AWD. I need to start out on something easy, where I can explore, but not get stuck. Ideally looking for someplace worth driving to, staying for a night or two and then driving home. Thanks for any advice!
NC 105 Linville. Pretty easy trail it seems from the vids I've watched.

ChapelThrillOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chapel Hill, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ingle
Member #

NC 105 Linville. Pretty easy trail it seems from the vids I've watched.
Weird question. Where do you get your hair cut? I own a Chapel Hill Barber Shop at The Courtyard. Are you a client of mine? Just curious. Cheers!