New to the group. What’s good in Florida?

• HTML tutorial

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

What's good! ONF is the go to spot for me. I camp out at the springs, kayak, fish and enjoy taking pictures out there. It's Not TN by any means however riding around the bomb range has it's fun times. Also, if you are into that crazy baha missile driving then check out the bomb range and the surrounding trails off 19. It's fun stuff regardless. I'm always looking to meet new OB members and kick back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Alberto Escobedo

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL
Member #

I haven't done ONF yet, but it's on the list. I've been up there by Devil's Den, etc. I live in Miami, so I'm pretty far from ONF - I want to find a window where I can go and spend a few days up there. Where are you? SoFla? Thanks for the reply - let's stay in touch. Will definitely let you know when I plan a trip up to ONF. I need some tips, etc. Later.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

So much to see in Ocala National Forrest. There is a nice spot called Hopkins Prairie where a few of us like to ride out and camp north of the Pinecastle bomb range. So many hidden trails off SR-19 to venture down. There are a few springs in the area to defiantly check out. Overall ONF holds some sweet 4x4 spots and camping. - Nickzero

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

A few of us are planning a trip to citrus WMA this Monday if anyone is interested! Full day. Start at 8am large crew meeting up in Gainesville. Then heading south to citrus. Got a good bit mapped out for the fun spots. If anyone is interested let me know.

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

We're in Mt Dora, and spend quite a bit of time in Ocala NF. In fact, we just got back from a trip this morning. We (wife and kids) frequently go with our friends (his wife and kids) with their 4Runner (they actually have two 4R's haha).

If anyone ever heads up this way or wants to put a run together, give me a shout. We'd be happy to join or lead the way for anyone not familiar with ONF. For anyone driving in ONF, I recommend the free app "Avenza Maps" on iOS devices, not sure if they have it for Android. You can then download "Motor Vehicle Use Map Ocala National Forest" and easily navigate the legal trails. Works like any other map/navigation app.

From one of our previous trips...

No outside pics from today, but here is our route from Avenza Maps. We logged 25.19 miles in 2 hours and 10 minutes. About two miles of that is on pavement, the rest was spent on trails.
That picture is awesome.

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
I’ve seen some videos of the Appalachicola National Forrest and the Tate’s Hell State Forrest, but have yet to see any routes anywhere. I am working on mapping it out and figuring out permissions. I live in very South GA (1 hour north of Tallahassee) and we have a place in Shell Point south of Crawfordville so I am really looking at this area for exploration.

DirtySox

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

I’ve seen some videos of the Appalachicola National Forrest and the Tate’s Hell State Forrest, but have yet to see any routes anywhere. I am working on mapping it out and figuring out permissions. I live in very South GA (1 hour north of Tallahassee) and we have a place in Shell Point south of Crawfordville so I am really looking at this area for exploration.
I live in Tallahassee, have driven some in the National Forest. Have yet to find any challenging trails mainly forest roads. I’m still looking in the area.

Reactions: TheBeardedSam

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
I live in Tallahassee, have driven some in the National Forest. Have yet to find any challenging trails mainly forest roads. I’m still looking in the area.
Have you ran into any usage issues like permits or anything? Also what trail head do you use?

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Any suggestions for trails/camping in FL that include seeing the night sky? I’m in Sanford, trying to get far away from city light-bleed, yet avoid the swamps

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

We live in SW GA too (further north than you do), and have a house on Bald Point. I've done a ton of day tripping in the Apalachicola NF/Tate's Hell and the various WMAs further east, in the big bend. My wife isn't big into overnighting when we have a beach house to go back to, so I mostly 'explore', not do overnight trips.

An overnight to Goose Pasture on the Wacissa river is not challenging driving (you could leave after lunch at Deal's Oyster House in Perry and get there in plenty of time to set up), but is definitely "out there" from the point of view of no city light haze at night or road noise. Outside of hunting season there is usually NOBODY there during the week (summer or winter). The river's beautiful, same general temp year round, so take a canoe or kayak with you. The area's accessible with a capable 2wd even in pretty severe conditions, so won't really improve your off-road skills, but it's worth the trip.

Best thing to do for Tate's Hell and ANF is get the latest MV usage map and overlay it in whichever mapping tool you use (I use Gaia) - and pick a route.

No, they aren't challenging - except after heavy rains -- but it's great country and there are plenty of places that are legal to camp, great spots to do some microfishing, wildlife viewing (saw more than one bear there) or just looking around Check out the dwarf cypress overlook in Tate's Hell.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan