Launch Member

Contributor II

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Ericson
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Recently moved to Rapid City, SD from Anchorage. I have lots of experience with outdoor activities and camping. I'm an avid climber, kayaker, mountain biker, tent camper, and rv camper. But this year I've decided I want to start exploring BLM lands and try my hand at overland camping.

I'm still figuring out my rig, hopefully in the next month or two in time for Spring, so I'm here to both learn about overlanding in general and figure out my first rig, and hopefully meet some cool people along the way. I'm excited to get out there and network.

Say hi, cheers :)

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Welcome! Good to see another South Dakota member. You picked a good spot to land. We have many of the outdoor activities you are interested in. There are miles and miles of Forest Service Roads to explore and we are in a good spot to make weekend or even day trips out to Wyoming and Colorado public lands. I look forward to meeting up at some point and discussing your build. What are you starting with?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Welcome to the site. I was just looking on google maps last night at the Black Hills. Interesting area. I was through there once about 20 years ago. When I make my Grand Tour I will probably make a point to spend a few days in that area. Happy Trails!

jwalla

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Welcome to the site. I was just looking on google maps last night at the Black Hills. Interesting area. I was through there once about 20 years ago. When I make my Grand Tour I will probably make a point to spend a few days in that area. Happy Trails!
When you get close look us up. You won't be disappointed spending a few days in the Black Hills and the badlands.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
When you get close look us up. You won't be disappointed spending a few days in the Black Hills and the badlands.
I may do that although I don't EVEN have a timeline. Is there any trout fishing in the Black Hills? I'll google that. So much snow out west it will probably be August before half of it melts. I was initially looking at a loop from south to north up the Rockies but that may be a little too ambitious...or not. On google maps Black Hills look a bit like N. Mexico terrain but no major drainages.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

jwalla

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Rainbow trout are main fish in the black hills, we do have several streams and lakes with them. Pike, bass, perch , lake trout, brown trout, are the next most prevalent in the hills. You can get into walleye just to the south and out east to the river or east lakes. Not much for snow here we are woefully behind. Our biggest snows happen in March and April but disappear quickly by beginning May. We have had snow all months out of the year so a freak snowstorm, hail, and afternoon rains are something to plan for.

EricnSD

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Ericson
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Welcome! Good to see another South Dakota member. You picked a good spot to land. We have many of the outdoor activities you are interested in. There are miles and miles of Forest Service Roads to explore and we are in a good spot to make weekend or even day trips out to Wyoming and Colorado public lands. I look forward to meeting up at some point and discussing your build. What are you starting with?
Thanks for the warm welcome! Would love to meet up sometime. I just bought a Rubicon, and now I'm shopping around for a tear drop trailer maybe or an ultra lite trailer. Still have a ton of gear I need to figure out before my first trek out.

The jeep salesman I worked with was super nice and is inviting me out to his next jeep get together to help me learn the ropes. I'm new to off roading entirely.

jwalla

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Thanks for the warm welcome! Would love to meet up sometime. I just bought a Rubicon, and now I'm shopping around for a tear drop trailer maybe or an ultra lite trailer. Still have a ton of gear I need to figure out before my first trek out.

The jeep salesman I worked with was super nice and is inviting me out to his next jeep get together to help me learn the ropes. I'm new to off roading entirely.
Your going to have a great time here. I love Alaska but this has always been home. I run a 2500 RAM. I have grown up in the hills running the trails, hunting, fishing, camping and climbing. I have since moved to more of just overlanding, hammocking, hiking and hunting, fishing. Head out to the visitor center and get your trail sticker for the jeep they are open daily. You can also download the Motor Vehicle Use Maps below or inside of GAIA or Avenza mapping programs.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Recently moved to Rapid City, SD from Anchorage. I have lots of experience with outdoor activities and camping. I'm an avid climber, kayaker, mountain biker, tent camper, and rv camper. But this year I've decided I want to start exploring BLM lands and try my hand at overland camping.

I'm still figuring out my rig, hopefully in the next month or two in time for Spring, so I'm here to both learn about overlanding in general and figure out my first rig, and hopefully meet some cool people along the way. I'm excited to get out there and network.

Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representatives to you are @jwalla
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army

Awesome! Take a few short shakedown trips to work the kinks out

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army

cheers!

Enorman624

Rank 0

Contributor II

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Norman
Hey everyone! Wife and I just recently moved to Rapid from Nashville area. We love the outdoors, hiking, kayaking and I'm looking into getting into MTB as well.

We have a Tacoma SR, nothing done to it yet other than some AT tires. Would love to hit some light trails just to get out and experience the BH.

Reactions: Coreymol

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community Ericson. Glad to have you join us.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Hello Ericson, welcome to the OB family.