First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
welcome!
there is a LOT you can do with a pick up. i added a shell and then a drawer system that we can sleep on top of and then a cargo rack on top for more room and i added a swing-a-way hitch for even more storage and the ability to swing it out of the way and drop the tailgate without having to unload the carrier. i also added 50w solar and a 35ah battery in the shell for lights, water pump, phone charging, etc

alabama is nice. we just did a trip there a few months ago and hung out at desoto and like the area around fort payne. we do a good bit in georgia and really like the area around helen and base camping at vogel state park. some trails for driving, but mostly walking/hiking. we'll check out more of north east alabama and i hear there is a good bit to see and do there.

IMG_0452.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX

WillOverland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Willis
Last Name
Latham
Member #

welcome!
there is a LOT you can do with a pick up. i added a shell and then a drawer system that we can sleep on top of and then a cargo rack on top for more room and i added a swing-a-way hitch for even more storage and the ability to swing it out of the way and drop the tailgate without having to unload the carrier. i also added 50w solar and a 35ah battery in the shell for lights, water pump, phone charging, etc

alabama is nice. we just did a trip there a few months ago and hung out at desoto and like the area around fort payne. we do a good bit in georgia and really like the area around helen and base camping at vogel state park. some trails for driving, but mostly walking/hiking. we'll check out more of north east alabama and i hear there is a good bit to see and do there.

View attachment 263564
I'm hoping to go up to Georgia next weekend for a few days. I was wondering what are a few pieces of gear you would recommend for long trips.
IMG_3850.jpeg IMG_3849.jpeg

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm hoping to go up to Georgia next weekend for a few days. I was wondering what are a few pieces of gear you would recommend for long trips.
nothing special. we basically get up early and make breakfast and then go out hiking and exploring and generally get back around dark and then shower and eat and go to bed. good hiking boots are about the only thing "special" that i take and by special, i mean a better pair than i would find at walmart or academy sports. we take a water jug and i'll carry a knife sometimes and that's it.

we generally stay at vogel and branch out from there, but on hwy 19 (gainsville highway) a few miles south of vogel state park, there is a cool place ( i thinks its called byron reece) that has some nice camp spots on a creek and a couple decent hiking trails there.

hope you have a great time and let me know what areas you went to and what you think of them

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Your rig looks like you probably already have these covered, but a full-size matching spare wheel and tire, a small shovel, and a recovery strap and some D-ring shackles are all good basics. Besides that, a tire repair kit, long (10+ ft.) jumper cables, and a Hi-Lift or similar utility jack will find themselves coming in handy sooner or later.

Nice rig!