Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone. I’m new to overlanding and to this app. I got an ‘18 Subaru Forester with a 2” lift with falcon A/T and any tips is much appreciated. If anyone is in the northern half of California that is around to help me out in tips that would be awesome
Welcome to Overland Bound
A great local contact is
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members. There was a local meet up that had met monthly in Modesto and I am hopping it will get revitalized soon. Their thread can still be found on the map.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. West (HI CA NV)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip
Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: SJ Dave

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@SJ Dave Welcome to the forum!

I've got a few pieces of common-sense advice.

Firstly, get a shovel (preferably a small one), a full-size, matching spare wheel and tire, jumper cables, and a portable air compressor. The shovel, compressor, and jumpers aren't absolutely required immediately, but if you travel far or frequently, eventually you'll find somebody who wishes they had them... these are all reasonably cheap, and many companies make kits including most of these.

A recovery strap rated between 8k-15k pounds is nice to have, probably won't use this one too much, but for those odd days you end up needing it, having it is great.

Most importantly though, learn to use your vehicle safely and responsibly. Understand the physics of the tire composition and tread pattern, and the surfaces on which you will drive (soft/hard, wet/dry, cold/hot, asphalt/hard dirt/loose dirt/clay/gravel/rocks/sand/mud/snow/grass/leaves - each of these responds differently, so know what you're driving on, and learn how it works!)

Developing good judgment through practice and experience is the best way to learn your limits as a driver, and to learn the limits of your vehicle. Some of us get closer to those limits than others, and there is no shame in backing away from any thing you deem too risky. If you want to try it again some other time, you can always try it again some other time.

Besides that, learn what you actually like to do, and pack accordingly - if you like to camp, bring a tent; if you like to fish, bring some bait! If you take long-range trips, you'll almost certainly end up finding places to do things, so do a bit of research and find out what the locals are doing in order to decide which places you should plan to stop.

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

Modesto, Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

@SJ Dave Welcome to the forum!

I've got a few pieces of common-sense advice.

Firstly, get a shovel (preferably a small one), a full-size, matching spare wheel and tire, jumper cables, and a portable air compressor. The shovel, compressor, and jumpers aren't absolutely required immediately, but if you travel far or frequently, eventually you'll find somebody who wishes they had them... these are all reasonably cheap, and many companies make kits including most of these.

A recovery strap rated between 8k-15k pounds is nice to have, probably won't use this one too much, but for those odd days you end up needing it, having it is great.

Most importantly though, learn to use your vehicle safely and responsibly. Understand the physics of the tire composition and tread pattern, and the surfaces on which you will drive (soft/hard, wet/dry, cold/hot, asphalt/hard dirt/loose dirt/clay/gravel/rocks/sand/mud/snow/grass/leaves - each of these responds differently, so know what you're driving on, and learn how it works!)

Developing good judgment through practice and experience is the best way to learn your limits as a driver, and to learn the limits of your vehicle. Some of us get closer to those limits than others, and there is no shame in backing away from any thing you deem too risky. If you want to try it again some other time, you can always try it again some other time.

Besides that, learn what you actually like to do, and pack accordingly - if you like to camp, bring a tent; if you like to fish, bring some bait! If you take long-range trips, you'll almost certainly end up finding places to do things, so do a bit of research and find out what the locals are doing in order to decide which places you should plan to stop.
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated. I was pondering on getting a small shovel. I didn’t even think about a compressor. I haven’t had a chance to look at rims yet for a spare. I’ll learn as I go. Can’t wait for trips out and about

Reactions: DintDobbs

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

I would also add a quality tire repair kit to that list and learn how to use it. You may not need it very often but you'll be glad you have it when you do.

I opted for a larger shovel from DMOS. It was pricey but worth the piece of mind to me.

Take your time with your vehicle build. Don't rush into it and spend a lot of money you might find out later you didn't need to. Use your vehicle and figure it out as you go.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Dave Snyder Good tip there, tire repair kit! Great little package to keep handy. Forgot that one entirely.

Safety first. Always get the essentials together before you take any long trip.

Size of shovel, take whatever you use, I just like a small one 'cause I have a small truck. I will not say that a small shovel is fun to use.

Compressor doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just got a Slime from Auto Zone that plugs into the DC. If you go this route, understand that some of these DC compressors will blow fuses in some vehicles. Read up on the back of the box before you buy, and make sure you've got that tire repair kit, or it will be useless!

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

I would also add a quality tire repair kit to that list and learn how to use it. You may not need it very often but you'll be glad you have it when you do.

I opted for a larger shovel from DMOS. It was pricey but worth the piece of mind to me.

Take your time with your vehicle build. Don't rush into it and spend a lot of money you might find out later you didn't need to. Use your vehicle and figure it out as you go.
Awesome. Thanks! I will check out those shovels and others as well.i pondered about a tire repair kit.

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

@Dave Snyder Good tip there, tire repair kit! Great little package to keep handy. Forgot that one entirely.

Safety first. Always get the essentials together before you take any long trip.

Size of shovel, take whatever you use, I just like a small one 'cause I have a small truck. I will not say that a small shovel is fun to use.

Compressor doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just got a Slime from Auto Zone that plugs into the DC. If you go this route, understand that some of these DC compressors will blow fuses in some vehicles. Read up on the back of the box before you buy, and make sure you've got that tire repair kit, or it will be useless!
You’re right about the voltage lol. There a ton out there for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: DintDobbs

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hey everyone. I’m new to overlanding and to this app. I got an ‘18 Subaru Forester with a 2” lift with falcon A/T and any tips is much appreciated. If anyone is in the northern half of California that is around to help me out in tips that would be awesome
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community.

Michael_Exploder

Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

Welcome…..Fun and adventure with a great group begins here…..

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Welcome to the crew!

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

Welcome to the crew!
Thanks! It’s a pretty cool app for sure

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

Welcome…..Fun and adventure with a great group begins here…..
I agree!

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community.
Thanks! Very cool people on hwee

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound
A great local contact is
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members. There was a local meet up that had met monthly in Modesto and I am hopping it will get revitalized soon. Their thread can still be found on the map.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. West (HI CA NV)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip
Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Thanks for the tips.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello David, welcome to Overland Bound.