Harvey's XJ

Rank II

Enthusiast II

napa, ca
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Harvey
Bringing back to life an 89 Cherokee, 220k miles. Not a heavy vehicle but going to load her down pretty good when we use her. She is a weekend toy for the family of 4 to go skiing and camping. With 2” of lift, I’m looking for a really good pair of riding shocks that will get used 75% on highway going to Tahoe and Sierras. There will be times hopefully more and more taking her on the trails for overlanding. Right now there is a set of no name brand that makes it ride like a 30 year old rattle box. Having 30 year old coils and leafs, I can do only so much, but shocks have come a looooong way, and think that will really help
Looking for some recommendations of ones people have used for same use and would buy again
Thanks for all that reply

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TreadHead Pops

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

We're JK people, but we've had lots of customers really satisfied with both Bilstein and Old Man Emu options on their XJs. We personally run Bilstein 5100 series and our ride both on the highway and the rocks is like a cadilac :-)

Harvey's XJ

Rank II

Enthusiast II

napa, ca
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Harvey
Old man.... makes me laugh they are still killing it. Ran them on my XJ when I was in college 20+ years ago. Good to hear. And if experience say they are still bang for buck it, I’m in
Thought for sure hear about Fox, but they might be all show like 90% of them out there
Thanks guys
Any others out there?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

S

SubeeBen

I run fox 2.0 on my 17 Jeep jku & was a huge difference, very noticible & great ride. Just my 2cents.

Reactions: SVgarage

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I agree with treadhead pops about the bilstien 5100 shocks. There on my 03 Rubicon, long arm 6 inch lift. It had Rancho shocks and I did not like then.

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
I had a set of Rancho RS5000s on my old XJ and they were a solid shock for the money. I would also look into getting a new set of leaf springs and the 30 year old ones are probably flat as for the springs again pick up a new set of 2inch lift springs for a they are not that expensive. +1 for being able to use jeep wrangler parts. Putting new shocks with old worn out parts wont do a whole lot.

Harvey's XJ

Rank II

Enthusiast II

napa, ca
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Harvey
Thanks XJ guys. Really looking for their input. Same shock would ride different on a different vehicle.
Hear ya on springs; looking at doing air lift bags $275 will get me even ride no matter the weights and keep a good balance for the switch back tahoe roads
Plan anyways unless experience says that’s bad idea

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I run fox 2.0 on my 17 Jeep jku & was a huge difference, very noticible & great ride. Just my 2cents.
My Jeep is 90% DD. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100's for my JK, but I read on some forums that they rode just a little bit harsh, so I went with the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks as well. Perfect for what I was looking for.

Reactions: SubeeBen