Contributor III

Apex, Wake County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Werking
Member #

Hi all! New member in Apex NC here.

Toyota 4Runner with quite a few upgrades. Making my first overland trip of the season this weekend to Cape Lookout National Seashore. I’ve been overlanding in various capacities since the early 1990s throughout the Appalachians with a couple trips to the Rockies sprinkled in.

Planning Uwharrie and probably a fall trip to Cape Lookout for this year so far. I’m interested in intel/routes in Western NC to explore this summer/fall as my daughter will be attending Appalachian State beginning in August. Also interested in any off-road routes in and around the Fancy Gap Virginia area of the Blue Ridge Parkway as I’m heading that way this coming Father’s Day weekend. I’d appreciate any and all recommendations this group might be able to provide. Thanks!

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Welcome to Overland Bound! Below are some helpful links that you can use to plan your trips.

Tim OB# 1648

Reactions: Andrew.Werking

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi all! New member in Apex NC here.

Toyota 4Runner with quite a few upgrades. Making my first overland trip of the season this weekend to Cape Lookout National Seashore. I’ve been overlanding in various capacities since the early 1990s throughout the Appalachians with a couple trips to the Rockies sprinkled in.

Planning Uwharrie and probably a fall trip to Cape Lookout for this year so far. I’m interested in intel/routes in Western NC to explore this summer/fall as my daughter will be attending Appalachian State beginning in August. Also interested in any off-road routes in and around the Fancy Gap Virginia area of the Blue Ridge Parkway as I’m heading that way this coming Father’s Day weekend. I’d appreciate any and all recommendations this group might be able to provide. Thanks!
Welcome from Colorado, Andrew!!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Andrew.Werking Check out Tellico and Hurricane Creek if you're looking for a challenge. I haven't been to either, but have been to Uwharrie and am going later this year as well.

Gorges State Park, have heard there's some fun to be had there as well, and Old NC 105 seems to be a favorite.

If you're ever at the coast, the Barrier Islands in NC and Virginia have lots of sand to drive on. NC 12 takes you directly out onto the shore.

There's still an open slot in our Rally Point for Uwharrie, so if mid-July is a good time for ya, hop on in!