New Mexico Hiking And Astrophotography

• HTML tutorial

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
EDIT: Well this started out as a photo thread but I rambled on and turned it into a trip report :-P. Sorry for all the words before the photos.

Hey all. So this wasn't really an Overland trip, but it did involve a very long road trip, unexpected gravel roads and the some darkest skies in the United States. So here are some photos from the trip!

This trip went down because an old friend of mine was just finished his PHD in Astrophysics and to celebrate he rented a cabin in the mountains. He just said "The cabin's on me, I want to celebrate with my friends. If you can get here we can spend the weekend hiking, grilling and hanging out." He's a good dude...err... Doctor Dude now.

I didn't have my car yet so I flew from Florida to Houston and we took my friends Honda Fit and his Dog from Houston to Angel Fire, New Mexico. We did the drive in 1 day, it took about 14 and a half hours. I actually missed my chance to get a photo of one of the coolest parts of the trip. We were driving down a 2 lane road somewhere in eastern New Mexico and we saw Tarantulas! We were kinda terrified, but only later did we learn we were lucky to see them. They migrate and the males cross the road in search of females.

The last 5 hours of the trip were through 2 lane roads across New Mexico. We made it to 2 lane just as the sun was setting, but we had some great views as the sun was going down.

I made my friend pull over in the middle of nowhere so I could grab my camera and telephoto lens to snap this photo just as the sun was going down.

I also took this fun photo from through the sunroof as the car was going around a turn. The star trails are from the center of rotation of the car around the turn.

The sun went down and we kept driving. Our GPS showed only 40 miles left. And then our road got bumpy we saw a line up ahead, we both leaned forward and....bump bump....the road went away and we were on gravel. It was dark, we didn't have any cell signal and didn't know of any other road to get where we needed to go. The road started having rocks the size of softballs. We drove a few more miles and then cows showed up about 10 feet from the car. No fence, just cows.

We passed the cows and pulled over to figure what to do.

Oh, and our fuel range dropped from 120 miles to 45 miles thanks to revving the engine to go up the steep gravel hills. We had 25 miles to go and 45 miles of range. IT was a bit nerve-racking. Luckily about 2 miles ahead the road became paved again. We made it to the cabin with 15 miles of range left.

Anyway I'll skip to the good part. The skies here were some of the best in the country. Crystal clear, and almost as dark as the scale goes. We had 2 PHD Astrophysicists in the group so I took their word for it. It was amazing. It's hard to describe but it looked like someone had spraypainted the sky. I've seen it before, but it never gets old. I grew up in the city and then suburbia so getting a chance to see super dark skies is always amazing. Then to top it off we had elk just a few hundred yards away calling/singing all night.

My friends taught me a bit about Astrophotography. I had my Nikon D600 with me so I grabbed shots for a few hours each night. Here were the results. Most of these were taken on a cheap $100 Nikon 50mm f2.8. I stacked about 10 images and edited in Photoshop and Lightroom. It was great having them to coach me a bit on what settings to use.

[/url]

[/url]

The rest of the weekend was pretty great too. We found where the Red River and the Rio Grande meet and hiked to the bottom of the Rio Grande Gorge. We also visited the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge outside of Taos, NM. My background is in engineering so it was fun to see one of the longest cantilever truss bridges in the United States (I'm a nerd).

The water was really this color. It was a dark blue/green and simply beautiful.

This is the part of the gorge we hiked down into. The Red River and the Rio Grande Meet and we hiked right to it. It was about 25 miles north of Taos, NM.

We were also lucky enough to catch the end of the summer/fall bloom. There were flowers open everywhere.

It was an amazing trip and really opened my eyes to New Mexico as a place to visit. It was so much more than I expected. Everywhere we went was beautiful. The places we visited are more ski towns than hiking towns but there was plenty to do and visit. Our cabin is a ski rental in the winter, so this was the offseason. We got the place for 1/5 of what it would cost during the winter.

Oh and the food. Don't get me started. New Mexico chili. Order "Enchiladas Christmas" (style), you won't regret it.

I can't wait to go back. There's so much more to explore.

I wasn't sure what size images were allowed on the forum. There are higher res images in my Flickr if anyone would like to see them. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5evzNV

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Amazing shots. I've spent time in the southern half of the state but never up here, looks absolutely fantastic. Did anyone bring a telescope?

Reactions: AdvNerd

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@AdvNerd

Awesome shots and trip report. Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to getting back to NM for some astrophoto sessions. We did the Bisti Badlands this spring but the weekend we were there was better for lightning and rain than Astrophotos. Hoping to get a bit further south next year.

Boort

Last edited:

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Amazing shots. I've spent time in the southern half of the state but never up here, looks absolutely fantastic. Did anyone bring a telescope?
Thanks! So my friend who just graduated brought his telescope, the tracking computer and the tripod but forgot the mount that has the motors and connects to the tripod. So it was useless. He felt bad about forgetting it.

I told him it didn't matter to me. If he had brought it we could have done some awesome deep space objects like Nebulas and galaxies. Oh well, we just gotta plan to go back sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

AdvNerd, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the Land of Enchantment! I am still amazed at the beauty in this state!

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

EDIT: Well this started out as a photo thread but I rambled on and turned it into a trip report :-P. Sorry for all the words before the photos.

Hey all. So this wasn't really an Overland trip, but it did involve a very long road trip, unexpected gravel roads and the some darkest skies in the United States. So here are some photos from the trip!

This trip went down because an old friend of mine was just finished his PHD in Astrophysics and to celebrate he rented a cabin in the mountains. He just said "The cabin's on me, I want to celebrate with my friends. If you can get here we can spend the weekend hiking, grilling and hanging out." He's a good dude...err... Doctor Dude now.

I didn't have my car yet so I flew from Florida to Houston and we took my friends Honda Fit and his Dog from Houston to Angel Fire, New Mexico. We did the drive in 1 day, it took about 14 and a half hours. I actually missed my chance to get a photo of one of the coolest parts of the trip. We were driving down a 2 lane road somewhere in eastern New Mexico and we saw Tarantulas! We were kinda terrified, but only later did we learn we were lucky to see them. They migrate and the males cross the road in search of females.

The last 5 hours of the trip were through 2 lane roads across New Mexico. We made it to 2 lane just as the sun was setting, but we had some great views as the sun was going down.

I made my friend pull over in the middle of nowhere so I could grab my camera and telephoto lens to snap this photo just as the sun was going down.

I also took this fun photo from through the sunroof as the car was going around a turn. The star trails are from the center of rotation of the car around the turn.

The sun went down and we kept driving. Our GPS showed only 40 miles left. And then our road got bumpy we saw a line up ahead, we both leaned forward and....bump bump....the road went away and we were on gravel. It was dark, we didn't have any cell signal and didn't know of any other road to get where we needed to go. The road started having rocks the size of softballs. We drove a few more miles and then cows showed up about 10 feet from the car. No fence, just cows.

Oh, and our fuel range dropped from 120 miles to 45 miles thanks to revving the engine to go up the steep gravel hills. We had 25 miles to go and 45 miles of range. IT was a bit nerve-racking. Luckily about 2 miles ahead the road became paved again. We made it to the cabin with 15 miles of range left.

Anyway I'll skip to the good part. The skies here were some of the best in the country. Crystal clear, and almost as dark as the scale goes. We had 2 PHD Astrophysicists in the group so I took their word for it. It was amazing. It's hard to describe but it looked like someone had spraypainted the sky. I've seen it before, but it never gets old. I grew up in the city and then suburbia so getting a chance to see super dark skies is always amazing. Then to top it off we had elk just a few hundred yards away calling/singing all night.

My friends taught me a bit about Astrophotography. I had my Nikon D600 with me so I grabbed shots for a few hours each night. Here were the results. Most of these were taken on a cheap $100 Nikon 50mm f2.8. I stacked about 10 images and edited in Photoshop and Lightroom. It was great having them to coach me a bit on what settings to use.

[/url]

[/url]

The rest of the weekend was pretty great too. We found where the Red River and the Rio Grande meet and hiked to the bottom of the Rio Grande Gorge. We also visited the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge outside of Taos, NM. My background is in engineering so it was fun to see one of the longest cantilever truss bridges in the United States (I'm a nerd).

This is the part of the gorge we hiked down into. The Red River and the Rio Grande Meet and we hiked right to it. It was about 25 miles north of Taos, NM.

We were also lucky enough to catch the end of the summer/fall bloom. There were flowers open everywhere.

It was an amazing trip and really opened my eyes to New Mexico as a place to visit. It was so much more than I expected. Everywhere we went was beautiful. The places we visited are more ski towns than hiking towns but there was plenty to do and visit. Our cabin is a ski rental in the winter, so this was the offseason. We got the place for 1/5 of what it would cost during the winter.

Oh and the food. Don't get me started. New Mexico chili. Order "Enchiladas Christmas" (style), you won't regret it.

I wasn't sure what size images were allowed on the forum. There are higher res images in my Flickr if anyone would like to see them. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5evzNV
Great pics

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

These are marvelous. I used to be able to see the Milky Way almost every night from my place, but over the years light pollution has almost blocked it entirely.

Reactions: DanR

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@AdvNerd ,

Looks like an amazing trip. I'm going to hit up Southeast NM with the kids this spring, I hope we get some open night skys like you.

- Tyler

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

[/url]

[/url]

Great shots. How many seconds was your milky way exposure? And if you want to mention your other settings for the shot, that would be great also :sunglasses:.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@HappyOurOverlanding
Great shots. How many seconds was your milky way exposure? And if you want to mention your other settings for the shot, that would be great also :sunglasses:.
I'm not the OP but looking at his Vertical shot of the Milkyway and going off of his statements of "Nikon 50mm f2.8.", "stacked about 10 images", I'd say that shot was 10 frames shot at f2.8, 1600 or 3200 ISO and 8-10 seconds each, aligned based on the stars, stacked and median blended to reduce noise. Foreground may have been manually put back in as it would have been twisted by the alignment process. Since he was cruising with some Astro PHD's possibly another 10-15 dark frames taken with the same settings and lens cap on, were stacked, blended, then subtracted from the light frames to further reduce noise introduced by the camera electronics and sensor. That is my guess, @AdvNerd please correct me if I'm wrong.

Boort

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@HappyOurOverlanding

I'm not the OP but looking at his Vertical shot of the Milkyway and going off of his statements of "Nikon 50mm f2.8.", "stacked about 10 images", I'd say that shot was 10 frames shot at f2.8, 1600 or 3200 ISO and 8-10 seconds each, aligned based on the stars, stacked and median blended to reduce noise. Foreground may have been manually put back in as it would have been twisted by the alignment process. Since he was cruising with some Astro PHD's possibly another 10-15 dark frames taken with the same settings and lens cap on, were stacked, blended, then subtracted from the light frames to further reduce noise introduced by the camera electronics and sensor. That is my guess, @AdvNerd please correct me if I'm wrong.

Boort
Thanks Boort... I guess I shouldn't just look at pictures and read read read.... LOL :sunglasses: