New Member, with a 5th Gen 4runner

• HTML tutorial

DacoRoman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
Hello all!,
I thought I would start a thread to get some feedback from all you fellers and gals.
Here's my 4runner:

I want to get into over landing but I want to keep the truck as stock and lightweight as possible as a daily driver and for some local 4wheeling of trails, no serious rock crawling. For more serious over landing I basically just want to eventually get a trailer.

Here's what I want to do:
- it's a TRD Pro (it already has a 1" stock lift on it) so I want to keep the suspension, but will put an additional Toytec TRD Pro 2" lift on it and fit 255/80R17's on it (I prefer skinnier tires but want a 33" tire)
- I already put RCI rock sliders on
- I want to either go with a hidden winch under the stock bumper, or with an SSO or Heftyfab lo pro bumper/winch, likely aluminum to save weight, and not have to upgrade my suspension (I won't be doing severe rock crawling and crazy recoveries and I'm hoping to get away with an aluminum bumper)
- I may at times run a tow hitch mounted spare tire carrier/rotopacks
- I may run a Thule cargo box on the roof rails, or mount a small flat rack on the rails to keep maxtrax, high lift jack, rotopax, or even a spare tire, but basically I'm not going to put a rack on the vehicle
- I'll be getting a rear differential breathing kit installed

And that's basically it.

Questions:
- I'll run a fridge if I get a trailer, in the trailer, but if I decide to run it in the back of the 4runner, without a dual batter set up, which I don't want to do, how can one run the fridge, if at all? I may just need to go with my Yeti until I get the trailer.
- If I get a light bar and maybe a couple of ditch lights installed, those run off the main battery correct?
- what kind of main battery upgrade can I do to bolster the reliability and available juice?

Also I welcome any feedback/comments on my above stated mod plan.

I'm super excited to get into some overlanding! BTW I'm in North GA right now but I'll likely move to the Tucson area next year, so I'm excited about overlanding AZ, Utah, Montana, Colorado, etc etc!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

DacoRoman, welcome to this community of great people. I’m sure others will chime in the have “runners “ like you. They are super capable in completely stock form, as you know. See you around! Benz.

Reactions: DacoRoman

DacoRoman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
DacoRoman, welcome to this community of great people. I’m sure others will chime in the have “runners “ like you. They are super capable in completely stock form, as you know. See you around! Benz.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Yeah keeping it stock is a great option too! The only reason I want bigger tires, hence the mild lift, is for slightly more clearance for running some of the more technical MOAB trails

Reactions: 4wheelspulling