Enthusiast I

Clatskanie, Clatsop County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Huber
Member #

Hi all,
Just came across this site after watching a Baja video on YouTube .
My name is Scott . I currently have a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel and a 1998 Toyota 4Runner limited.
Neither are modified much , larger tires on both.
I’m driving to SanJose del Cabo starting around Jan. 5. This will be my 2nd trip, 1st was in 2013. I’ve been going back and forth on which rig to drive. Leaning towards the Ram as it is way more comfortable . I was concerned about the availability of ULSD but it seems that may be only a minor issue. I’ll bring 15 extra gallons of diesel and fuel filters.
I drove thru San Ysidro last time with no issues. Google maps says the best route is thru Mexicali and down hwy 5. Anyone have any opinion on this? Anyone been down recently? I’ve been all up and down Baja on vacations for the last 18 years. My last trip down was a little bit of a hell run and I want to explore a little more on this trip. I’ll be in San Jose for 2 months returning in mid to late March
Does the Overland Bound maps cover Baja, when I looked it didn’t seem to feel in much info
I’m traveling from NW Oregon

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all,
My name is Scott . I currently have a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel and a 1998 Toyota 4Runner limited.
I’m driving to SanJose del Cabo starting around Jan. 5. This will be my 2nd trip, 1st was in 2013. I’ve been going back and forth on which rig to drive. Leaning towards the Ram as it is way more comfortable . I was concerned about the availability of ULSD but it seems that may be only a minor issue. I’ll bring 15 extra gallons of diesel and fuel filters.
I drove thru San Ysidro last time with no issues. Google maps says the best route is thru Mexicali and down hwy 5. Anyone have any opinion on this? Anyone been down recently? I’ve been all up and down Baja on vacations for the last 18 years. My last trip down was a little bit of a hell run and I want to explore a little more on this trip. I’ll be in San Jose for 2 months returning in mid to late March
Does the Overland Bound maps cover Baja, when I looked it didn’t seem to feel in much info
Welcome to Overland Bound Scott
A good place to ask your Baja questions is on this page; Overland Trip Planning
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly universal online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
The Regional Director for local information it @M Rose
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Take the Ram, the ulsd is standard for Baja, I would bring DEF, sometimes it's hard to find away from major towns sometimes. I would stop and see whales in Guerrero Negro. Whale Magic runs a very good trip. There are more whales In GN then San Ignacio and no time limits in GN. Whale season is best Late Jan to March, a few are starting to show now.
Best current map is the Baja California road and Recreation Atlas from Benchmark. Baja Bound has them in stock. Taking Hwy5 is faster than Hwy1, I perfer Hwy 1 for the beauty, I love catavina and hiking in the area.
I went In Oct for a week, home for a week and then back for 18 days, home and back down to watch the Baja 1000 for 5 days. I will not return until mid Jan. The roads are in great shape.

Reactions: Rshuber123

Rshuber123

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Clatskanie, Clatsop County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Huber
Member #

Take the Ram, the ulsd is standard for Baja, I would bring DEF, sometimes it's hard to find away from major towns sometimes. I would stop and see whales in Guerrero Negro. Whale Magic runs a very good trip. There are more whales In GN then San Ignacio and no time limits in GN. Whale season is best Late Jan to March, a few are starting to show now.
Best current map is the Baja California road and Recreation Atlas from Benchmark. Baja Bound has them in stock. Taking Hwy5 is faster than Hwy1, I perfer Hwy 1 for the beauty, I love catavina and hiking in the area.
I went In Oct for a week, home for a week and then back for 18 days, home and back down to watch the Baja 1000 for 5 days. I will not return until mid Jan. The roads are in great shape.
Thanks, I appreciate your input!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi all,
Hello Scott, welcome to Overland Bound.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Scott, welcome to the OB family.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hi all,
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad you could join us.

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hi all,
Hello Scott, welcome to Overland Bound!

GreenLine74

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Tombstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Welcome and hope you enjoy.
Hi all,

Visiontrd

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

Hi all,
Welcome Scott. Enjoy overland bound