Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

Good morning, my name is Michael. I am originally from Northern Arkansas, and now I am stationed in Norfolk, VA (Navy). A little heads up, I have no clue what I'm doing here. I know why I'm here, I'm not just lost...just have no experience here. I grew up in a restoration shop and since leaving home I have been very passionate about diesels, so there isn't much about vehicles that I don't understand or can't learn. However, these rigs you guys have are amazing...purely purpose built. And the excitement for exploring is there, outside of that I'm ready to learn and see what's out there. I am 28, married with kids. Time for events is limited (Navy). Oh, my rig...I don't really have one yet. I drive a Ford F-250 4x4, it's a tank but a little heavy. I have frequent dreams of a new 4runner TRD Pro in Cement Gray, just waiting on some promotion pay to kick in and a car to sell.

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

Oh yea, I have a request for my local Hampton Roads members. I do not intend to do a whole lot to the 4runner when I first get it, however as I see the need I will surely upgrade/replace. I will probably start out with sliders (like what I see from Pelfreybilt) and skids (like what I see from RCI). But anyway, my request is that at some point in the near future could we arrange some meet and greet's so maybe I can take a look at your rigs? All I have seen is pictures on a monitor, which in theory should be enough but I'm a little OCD about some things and would prefer to inspect the build quality of some things before spending $100's or $1000's. If that sounds like a doable request, thank you in advance.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Welcome from Covington, Va. There are quite a few folks in your area, message @yabbaz and he can get you in on their group!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome from Austin, TX. An F-250 4x4 will get you and the family out on adventures. Don't let the vehicle stop you from getting out in nature with your family. Their are lots of full size rigs, used by the OB community for Overlanding.

Reactions: Barbara Wada

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

Welcome from Austin, TX. An F-250 4x4 will get you and the family out on adventures. Don't let the vehicle stop you from getting out in nature with your family. Their are lots of full size rigs, used by the OB community for Overlanding.
That is understandable. Although I was worried about the excessive weight/size, I am more recently worried about the reliability. I love diesels, but I should have listened when people told me to stay away from a "6-leaker". I did an engine overhaul (with a few extra odds and ends) back in January for about $8,000 and now it is back in the shop for a coolant leak...I'm not happy. Due to the price and beauty of the 4runner, I am starting to lean heavily towards a Wrangler Unlimited. Not quite as much back seat room but still easily fits a car seat, and is VERY well liked in the world of aftermarket goodies

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm down for a meet and greet! I was wanting to set one up, but work is crazy this time of year and life has really thrown a lot at me lately. I'm making headway, but despite what the singers say, fall and winter are when my living's easy.

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

I would love to have a meet and greet. Pick a weekend that's convenient, as long as duty doesn't conflict.

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

I did really like the 6.0...with a little work, it was one mean running truck. But, I spent $8k to overhaul/bullet proof/upgrade the motor in January...spent $600 to replace the water pump last week (water pump was installed new in January)...and the day I got it back from the shop last week I started having significant electrical issues. Traded in for the Rubicon on Saturday, and couldn't be happier. The Rubicon is so much more fun in every way imagineable. It is literally the most fun thing to drive I have ever seen, even over street/strip and exotic cars...

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I did really like the 6.0...with a little work, it was one mean running truck. But, I spent $8k to overhaul/bullet proof/upgrade the motor in January...spent $600 to replace the water pump last week (water pump was installed new in January)...and the day I got it back from the shop last week I started having significant electrical issues. Traded in for the Rubicon on Saturday, and couldn't be happier. The Rubicon is so much more fun in every way imagineable. It is literally the most fun thing to drive I have ever seen, even over street/strip and exotic cars...
I'm $8400, into maintenance/repairs on mine in the last two years, if it had been a truck I would probably have gotten rid of it. It's an Excursion, and with cost of a new truck, and/or diesel. I'll just keep it.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram