New member and vehicle introduction

• HTML tutorial

Eric Lane

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Hello all, I am new to community and just putting out my first topic. My vehicle is a 2001 Jeep XJ, moderately outfitted and is my daily driver.
IMG_4329.JPG

Some of the more noticeable add ons include: ARB touring roof rack to support our ARB roof top tent, Rugged Ridge HD steering, Bilstein shocks, ACOS adjustable coil over spacers, stock country leaf pack, steel wheels and 31” KO2 tires.
IMG_0889.JPG

I was dealing with the notorious vapor lock of the 2001 XJ for some time, but have customized some key components to neutralize (for the most part) this issue.
IMG_4046.jpg

My adventure partner is my wife, she enjoys the “finer” aspects of camping, but is definitely always up for any adventure. Some of the creature comforts of our rig are definitely catered toward her preferences, but I also enjoy taking full advantage. I myself am into engineering projects, bushcraft, nature, and photography. I love the challenges and puzzles of the road, and feel very fulfilled by vehicle based exploration. We both love coffee, duh, and we also enjoy cooking and consuming meals.
IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_3882.jpg

From the beach to the mountains, heat waves to icicles, we want to experience it all.

303JETSET

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Totten
Member #

Welcome. Nice rig. 01 XJ here too. Do share some details on your vapor lock solution. I went the DEI route with good success.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Glad to see more XJ owners on here! I have a 2000 built similarly to yours. I want your tent setup. Haha. It’s on my to do list down the road. Welcome to overlandbound!

Eric Lane

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Welcome. Nice rig. 01 XJ here too. Do share some details on your vapor lock solution. I went the DEI route with good success.
I used phenolic rod to insulate the connection point between the fuel rail and the air intake. The air intake would get super hot from the catalytic converters right underneath, so the phenolic rod really helps to reduce the absorption of heat through the metal on metal hardware contact.

I say “for the most part” because my ignition coils are starting to give me trouble in harder situations, time to replace I guess.

Eric Lane

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Glad to see more XJ owners on here! I have a 2000 built similarly to yours. I want your tent setup. Haha. It’s on my to do list down the road. Welcome to overlandbound!
The roof top tent was a game changer. Definitely doesn’t replace my love for a ground tent, but it is super convenient and always a head turner. It is wonderful in heavy rain.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The roof top tent was a game changer. Definitely doesn’t replace my love for a ground tent, but it is super convenient and always a head turner. It is wonderful in heavy rain.
What do you usually see for gas mileage with the RTT up there? Most of our trips are 3ish hours away so fuel consumption is a concern for me.

Eric Lane

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Averaging between 65-72mph, we average 18mpg. We honestly didn’t see a huge drop off in fuel economy, as long as we are not in a hurry. I am a pretty patient driver, I’m easy on the gas while accelerating, and try to maintain as much momentum as possible. The crosswind effect is not bad either. This IS my DD and I leave the tent mounted up top, Incase we can ever sneak away.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Amazing set up you will not regret it.. now if your going to buy it direct from rhino the Waite time is a little discouraging. Reach out to rack Attack in Denver and tell the manager that Chris polanco sent you he had it at my place with in the week regardless with the wait time via rhino direct..