New Landcruiser 79's in the US. Could it really happen

• HTML tutorial

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

So it looks like this company thinks they can get through the approval process to bring brand spanking new 79's into the US legally. That would be really awesome but I'm sure they will be about $100k.

http://l79-america.com/#home

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I think I saw one today. 4 door, SUV, no truck bed. Southbound on Hwy 101 in San Mateo, CA He took the 92 W exit. It was lifted, right hand drive, and seemed to be "listing" to the right for a lack of better term. Probably was a 76.

I wonder how they will get around all the emissions and safety regulations. I think it would be very difficult and very expensive to bring it into compliance, so they must be using some variation of the 25 year old clause and if so....they won't be coming to CA anytime soon as anything newer than 1975 needs to pass smog.

Ack...all just speculation here. I'll believe it when it happens..haha.

Last edited:

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

The emissions are what this company is apparently working on. If they are able to get them past the EPA it could mean the ability to get new model toyota diesels in the US.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

I think it's exciting as a possibility but I don't see how it could work out financially. Just the cost of importing the vehicle would be prohibitive. Figure in the cost of developing a secondary emissions system and getting it approved by the EPA would be huge. Especially for the limited market a 79 would fill. Toyota hasn't done it yet for a reason, and they have all the money in the world to spend.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

So it looks like this company thinks they can get through the approval process to bring brand spanking new 79's into the US legally. That would be really awesome but I'm sure they will be about $100k.

http://l79-america.com/#home
I don't think that's it's an emission's problem, in Arabia it has the same engine as the Fj, 4runner so I think it's because of the lack of safety features. Love to see them with the 4.5 D4D engine

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

The only reason would be to compete in the Tundra/Sequoia market. Since their piece is small I don't see them competing for the cost. California will kill any diesel, safety will kill the rest.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

The only reason would be to compete in the Tundra/Sequoia market. Since their piece is small I don't see them competing for the cost. California will kill any diesel, safety will kill the rest.
IMO it wouldn't compete with the tundra or sequoia market it's a completely different animal it more heavy duty made for the mining industry and agricultural market. The pickup has 11 leaves of rear springs.

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app