Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
That would be nice to know what actual foliage is so we don't have any false expectation. Also will watch your youtube videos tonight as I am currently skipping in-and-out in work...
I'm about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburg (western Maine). 30% sounds about right, we are at maybe 20%, the oaks are turning but the maples haven't yet.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburg (western Maine). 30% sounds about right, we are at maybe 20%, the oaks are turning but the maples haven't yet.
Hell, I'm in Auburn NH and my backyard is 30%... I do believe this season will be early & quick!

Reactions: CharlieS

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Hell, I'm in Auburn NH and my backyard is 30%... I do believe this season will be early & quick!
with the severe drought we are having (my well has been critical for 13 days so far, do a rain dance!),wouldn’t surprise me if this year is a fast one. I suspect the white maples I have won’teven turn, just shed. That’s what happened last year and this year the water situation is worse.

TL:DR - if you want to see nature’s fireworks, do it soon.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

with the severe drought we are having (my well has been critical for 13 days so far, do a rain dance!),wouldn’t surprise me if this year is a fast one. I suspect the white maples I have won’teven turn, just shed. That’s what happened last year and this year the water situation is worse.

TL:DR - if you want to see nature’s fireworks, do it soon.
Sorry to hear about your well! I'm still good here, thou others are not.

I do see the drought playing a major roll in this years foliage season. Main reason I'm heading out early! All my low cover is peaking right now! So I would assume most low areas would be as well.

Basic statement... Don't wait too long! Get on out there!

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Oxford County, ME (Stoneham\Waterford) this morning. Some places all the trees are turning, other spots hardly anything. Lowlands here, lake region. Agree, get out to peep soon if you are going to do it. It will be short this year and suspect some will go from green to bare very quickly.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed.jpg

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
PXL_20200927_122724354.jpg

Evan's Notch in Gilead Maine is about 45-50% right now. This was taken on the High Water Trail about 1.86miles from the bridge crossing Wild River at Hastings Plantation.

@afpino Just wanted to give you a heads up. As you head towards Quoddy after passing through Bangor Google Maps will try and take you through RT 9 to 192. Last time I drove on that route a few years ago there was no gas until you go to Machias. Only gas station I saw was closed and the advertised price was $0.98. Reversing Falls in Pembroke is marked as a free campsite. This summer there were signs there posting no overnight camping. This summer the Quoddy Headlight itself was closed (not the park just the headlight building). The giftstore that is about a mile away from it had Quoddy patches and stickers. If you into looking for Sea Glass send me a PM I will give you directions where we had the best luck this summer.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just returned from the North Country NH Foliage run. I was 1 week too late!!! Points leading in (by woods) and above Pittsburg are burnt through and most leaves are on the ground. Points just south of Pittsburg are in full swing!!! Grafton Notch in Maine is busting with color as well! Don't hesitate folks! It's happening!

We're heading out again hopefully Monday or Tuesday (typically Tuesday's) and running my route into Osceola WMNF Campground. That area will be bursting with color next week (as it is coming in quickly around there).

I'm just starting to upload the video's to Byways no Highways as I type. Up speed is really slow right now so may not be up till a bit later..

Edit: I can now confirm the route from Wilsons Mills (Parmachenee Road) over the Second Grant and North (East Branch Dead River Road?) by Garfield Falls is passable. Most all by non-modified 2 wheel drive, until the very last portion reaching Garfield Falls. There you'll be happy to have 4wd! Also Bird season is open and lots of hunters in the area!

robh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1BVL
I'm headed back up to Pittsburg NH on Tuesday to see just how the foliage is really doing. It's claimed at 30%.. I'll do my run from Errol into Pittsburg by dirt. If you wish to see the route, it's on my FB page as a playlist "into Pittsburg". There is another route I wish to explore that runs slightly different, but still all dirt. I'll report back later this week on the run.

You wish to see the route? Pick into Pittsburg to view. In about a week the Berlin to Errol route should be real nice!
Your New Boston to Washington series made me homesick... I used to live in New Boston. Nice set of videos.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Part 4 is now up for your enjoyment! This is Grafton Notch, up Rt16 to Wilson Mills, on Parmachenee Rd and routing of the top of the Dartmouth Grant.
Byways no Highways Foliage North pt4

Next upload tomorrow is up East branch dead river road, past Garfield Falls and up on Diamond Ridge (all dirt)!

Reactions: robh

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I am near those Rindge NH roads, I know quite a few class sixers where I live in Antrim. Some fairly rocky. These dirt road trips seem fairly interesting. I should look into Gaia
Antrim has several in the area. I've only been a couple. Plan to head back that way the following week for the foliage and explore more.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 7.56.48 AM.png
Legend is: Orange = Class 6 Light Blue = Dirt Road Purple = uncertain
As I explore I change to: Dark Green as easy, Dark Blue as moderate, Black as difficult.
Any of these you can comment on would be appreciated!

Also a foliage report from you're area!

Reactions: dcas and robh

rustyhardwood

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Antrim, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Ferreira
Member #

Antrim has several in the area. I've only been a couple. Plan to head back that way the following week for the foliage and explore more.

View attachment 172518
Legend is: Orange = Class 6 Light Blue = Dirt Road Purple = uncertain
As I explore I change to: Dark Green as easy, Dark Blue as moderate, Black as difficult.
Any of these you can comment on would be appreciated!

Also a foliage report from you're area!
The blue line near the Willard pond note is all rocky class 6, with a pretty gnarly mud pit (probably bone dry at the moment)but the line going towards bald MTN is dirt road. I have done most of these trails in a 07 tundra but was rough. Some are very easy,Some I actually haven't taken (toward's greenfield). Let me know when you're in the area!

on a side note:
Statutakee MTN is a great short hike with beautiful views.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Very cool info! I'll have to plan a trip up this way. Is it possible to access your Gaia GPS map data?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Very cool info! I'll have to plan a trip up this way. Is it possible to access your Gaia GPS map data?
I've placed a few links to .gpx files here: Byways no Highways discussion page I decided to not post the entire State file. What I am doing is releasing portions/areas to those that are willing to explore an area and report back. My files are very extensive now and could be of value to someone willing to charge folks for this (much like a well know group(s) involved here).

If so interested, PM me. I'm getting very good response with this over on Reddit. Would like to see as much here...