Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crest, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Bollinger
Member #

Nice rig. My chick and I are up in LA. Maybe we'll run into you sometime, we end up around your area a few times per year
Awesome! Feel free to let me know when you will be.

I'm in the RB area, just got back from a trip out at Cleveland National Forest. Slowly working our way to a remote (no outhouse/tapped water) camping. I'm just happy I got the fiancee away from glamping.

Right on I'd like to explore the mountains sometime. That's a great thing. I got lucky with my lady and her not complaining about havin a toilet or anything. It deff takes a lot of stress away and makes it easier when planning a trip and camping.

Reactions: murps

babyjake

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crest, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Bollinger
Member #

@babyjake Glad to see I'm not the only out there with an Old Bronco and loving it for Overlanding! Cool rig, I am doing a roof rack soon. How did u attach it to the fiberglass?

Here is my 1994 on a recent trip with a quick add of the over cab rack for extra goodies.

Cool to see all the Broncos on here! And to attach fiberglass you have to cut everything off.. The front you have to drill out the spot welds and skin the fender off the core support. Then mount the front glass to the core support. The rear you have to cut the stock bedside off. Weld on tabs and re attach.

I added square tubing to re enforce it.

Reactions: NorthStar96

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

uploadfromtaptalk1465774093810.jpg

My poor bronco is just sooooo rottin.

Rust is like cancer :-(

Its long trip days are over, I just run around here local. Now that we have the 4runner it's hard to keep a 30 year old truck that gets 4 to 7 mpg around lol

But I can't seem to part with it, so it's the dedicated beater.

babyjake

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crest, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Bollinger
Member #

@babyjake thanks man for the info, but was wondering how u attached your roof rack to the fiberglass top? Did u bolt through or did you creat some multiple attaching points?
For now she is Bolton straight to the shell in 4 spots with custom cut rubber pads separating the rack to the shell to hopefully reduce the straight and force on the fiberglass. I've had 10 gallons of water, 10 gallons of gas and 3 bundles of wood up there and so far no cracking or anything. But eventually I'd like to have the bronco caged and have the rack mounted through the shell to the cage.

babyjake

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crest, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Bollinger
Member #

View attachment 5059

My poor bronco is just sooooo rottin.

Rust is like cancer :-(

Its long trip days are over, I just run around here local. Now that we have the 4runner it's hard to keep a 30 year old truck that gets 4 to 7 mpg around lol

But I can't seem to part with it, so it's the dedicated beater.
I hear ya! They almost have their own character and soul. We have thought about getting a land cruiser or 4Runner for the mpgs and just the fact that they are newer. But the bronco is just too cool and been too good to us. In the dirt with the 5.8 we get around 5-8 mpg so I feel ya haha.

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I hear ya! They almost have their own character and soul. We have thought about getting a land cruiser or 4Runner for the mpgs and just the fact that they are newer. But the bronco is just too cool and been too good to us. In the dirt with the 5.8 we get around 5-8 mpg so I feel ya haha.
Yep! 5.8 here too. 4 barrel eddy and comp cam energy cam, flat tops, etc... no cosmetic stuff though. Just ponies.

It wasn't that bad until I investigated my rust situation... and then this uploadfromtaptalk1465782373773.jpg happened lol

4 doors is bueno!