New ford bronco capabilities. Is jeep in big trouble?

• HTML tutorial

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

they aren’t full sized Broncos... they are slightly smaller in size to a Gen 1 Bronco. Full sized Broncos refer to the 1978-1996 Bronco (Gen2-gen5) built on the F-150 platform. The new Bronco is on a Ranger platform so it’s being called a Mid Sized Bronco.
The Bronco sport is slightly larger than the Bronco II from the mid 1980’s -1993. The Ford Explorer replaced the Bronco II so it’s only acceptable that the new Bronco Sport be put onto an explorer frame.
From the new Bronco sports I've seen on the road they are closer to a escape or a new rav 4 than a explorer in size.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
From the new Bronco sports I've seen on the road they are closer to a escape or a new rav 4 than a explorer in size.
Yes tats right..... I miss spoke about the Explorer... but not that the Sport model is supposed to be as the Bronco 2 was compared to a FSB.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I think :
Ford seriously screwed the pooch releasing the new Explorer and calling it a Bronco.
Hard agree on this one. I mean just look at all the people here judging "the Bronco" by the Bronco Sport that they've seen out and about now. I mean it's a really good looking new Escape but if they're really looking to spin off the Bronco as a sub-brand, they really should have led with the flagship.

Though if you meant this tongue in cheek, the new Bronco isn't even remotely in the same class as the real Explorer was... I mean yeah IFS but it's going to be far more.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It could be a bait and switch like chevy did with the trailblazer. We should have gotten a new k5 blazer instead we got a rebadged traverse.

Another example of bait and switch the new Toyota supra that ended up a lfa

The new Nissan skylines that make me think more of a maxima that got rear ended by a corvette.

It's definitely more than the vaporware some others have promised but I wouldnt get my hope too high.

Kind of like how people thought the zr2 was going to be a raptor killer then found out they only had marginally better shocks than stock, 2 extra skid plates over the z71 and a face-lift. There was no ls engine option to make it slay a raptor. What the zr2s are able to do better though is everything not in the dessert. Basically billed as a prerunner only to be a all around trail ready rig.

Last edited:

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

So i didnt see any threads on this so i thought i would make one.

What do you guys think about the broncos capabilities and potential to upset jeep? specifically its design based on modularity and third party support from the gate?

not to mention its extremely impressive off road capabilities
I've said this before on the Jeep forums and the reality is that a Wrangler is not a Jeep for Jeep People anymore - it's a lifestyle vehicle and most who buy them are happy enough with a 2" lift and 35-37" tires. The Bronco easily meets this criteria and while the IFS is inferior for off-road potential, it's going to be just fine for probably 90% of buyers. Hell it's going to be superior for that 90% because it's going to be much more stable at speed and much more familiar since it's rack and pinion.

So yeah, Jeep is really going to have to step it up if they don't want Ford eating their lunch on this one. A Jeep is a Jeep but the Bronco has the same rugged image untarnished by the CUV generation.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I don't see them as being in trouble but they are going to have to take notice. For me personally the biggest thing is I could get lockers on a base model. Yet Jeep, supposedly THE name in offroad I've gotta step up to the Rubicon package to get lockers. The fact I can't order off road goodies a la carte on a base model stripped down 2 door Jeep is an embarrassment.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

From a bronco fanatic, 66-96 anyway, the jeep will be fine. Jeep is going after what it’s consumers want now. The gladiator, the diesel and v8 options will keep jeep on top. There is no other name brand that has stronger aftermarket support then jeep. Tacoma may have a huge aftermarket but it’s really not even close. When the first rubicon 392 gets a set of 40s and hits the trail the rest of the story will be written. Ford screwed up a golden opportunity by not going raptor based with a 5.0 option. And calling the sport version a bronco would have Parnelli Jones and Bill Stroppe rolling in their graves. I can see bronco taking a piece of the pie. But jeep will still remain top of the off-road world.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I rolled up a lot of miles in a 69, V8 4 speed Bronco, I was excited to see the new version but now I think I'll wait a year before thinking about getting one. I kinda like the Gladiator, now I see the used market is flooded with low milage year old Gladiators, must be a reason.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I rolled up a lot of miles in a 69, V8 4 speed Bronco, I was excited to see the new version but now I think I'll wait a year before thinking about getting one. I kinda like the Gladiator, now I see the used market is flooded with low milage year old Gladiators, must be a reason.
One reason is that in a tech dependent world FCA mounted the microphone for the Bluetooth immediately behind the noisiest place in a noisy vehicle. Meaning that if you plan to use your phone going down the road be prepared to hear "WHAAAT?, what is that noise?" FCA failed miserably there and has done nothing to fix it.

I'm not sure the market is actually flooded and haven't looked, I do like mine despite some notable shortcomings.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Another reason is that unless you have 38+ tires, the gladiator high centers on humps and the ass end drags on dips. I went to a Jeep Jamboree and was all excited to see a Gladiator wheel. It was a huge disappointment when we had to stop constaqntly to drag it off obstacles.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Jeep Wrangler basically has had the market to itself nearly forever. So, yes, the Bronco will definitely upset the market a lot.

One thing I like about the Bronco is that you can buy all of the best off-road goodies for the BASE model. No need to start with an upper trim for lockers or disconnecting sways. It has always frustrated me that the Wrangler requires the Rubicon to get the best running gear. Going by MSRP alone, and focusing on the off-road running gear of the Bronco vs. Wrangler, you could save several if not tens of thousand bucks getting a base Bronco with lockers and disconnects over a Rubicon.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This also has to do with the country’s current financial state.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

This also has to do with the country’s current financial state.
Wait until this pandemic gets somewhat back to normal and the market is flooded with rv’s and side by sides. Sales on toy haulers last year was up by 400% from what I read. Now people are going to start having options besides being outdoors we will see a lot of off-road recreation toys coming up for sale.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wait until this pandemic gets somewhat back to normal and the market is flooded with rv’s and side by sides. Sales on toy haulers last year was up by 400% from what I read. Now people are going to start having options besides being outdoors we will see a lot of off-road recreation toys coming up for sale.
You are correct not only did the Toy Haulers go up, so did regular RV’s... the down side is the RV manufacturing business isn’t considered essential so a lot of plants were closed most of 2020... I’m still laid off as a material handler for one of the high end plants. They are currently running at 20% capacity which is causing the price to sky rocket as well. A trailer that was taking 8 hours to build is now taking 40 hours...

Reactions: DevilDodge

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Bronco, if only you were a little bigger. Turned out smaller than I'd hoped it would be...
(you too Land Rover Defender!)
You sure you're not confusing the SPORT with the it's bigger regular Bronco brother?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Any bigger, and boom, you're in a Raptor.

Not getting the whole size thing. Unless your doing Jeep trails where wheelbase and width have very tight practical limits. General off roading, overlanding, and the TAT are fine for bigger trucks.