Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is a picture of the antenna setup and I had to open the slot on the steel antenna mount with a step drill bit to get a bit of wiggle room. Everything is tight, those were the readings I received on a new digital SWR meter. Thanks
Well I see your problem plain as day… your antenna is too low, and too close to surrounding metal… the base of the antenna needs to be higher than any surrounding mount… @JL Lou used a similar antenna and mounted it to his roll cage as high as he could and has very decent results… reason being… it’s as high as he could get it.

Your body is acting as a huge reflector reflecting your RF signal directly back into the antenna…

another thing to note… this exact antenna uses the coax as part of the counter poise so cutting the coax is going to greatly hurt performance of the antenna…

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
This is a picture of the antenna setup and I had to open the slot on the steel antenna mount with a step drill bit to get a bit of wiggle room. Everything is tight, those were the readings I received on a new digital SWR meter. Thanks
Ah! A taller antenna or higher mount location will help immensely.

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
I have the same radio. I mounted mine in my taco, on the drivers side of the center console. I have my ham radio mounted on the other side. As a rule, the higher the antenna, the better. Both my antennas are mag mounted, on the roof. GMRS I have never had an issue reaching others on the trail, but, in reality, we are never more than a few hundred meters apart. My ham radio gets about 20 miles, give or take-which is about standard, without hitting repeaters.
I have the ghost antenna. Mount it center of roof with a mag mount. Thats about the best you can do. I dont know if people tune GMRS antennas-if its even worth it, honestly.

Reactions: TOMICON

TOMICON

Rank IV

Traveler III

Spooner, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Mackey
Member #

Thanks @oldsoldier181 that’s some great info. I tested my GMRS out the other day in some not ideal but realistic environments and was getting about 1.5 to 2 miles range with the setup in my pictures and the other radio was a handheld FRS on channel 4, this environment is heavily wooded and very hilly, Northern WI. I believe for what I’m going to be doing this would be good, like you say, never really that far apart out there. Now the question is being roof mounted what kind of distance are you getting and how is the SWR on that Ghost antenna in that location, Thanks for the info in Advance!

Reactions: oldsoldier181

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Thanks @oldsoldier181 that’s some great info. I tested my GMRS out the other day in some not ideal but realistic environments and was getting about 1.5 to 2 miles range with the setup in my pictures and the other radio was a handheld FRS on channel 4, this environment is heavily wooded and very hilly, Northern WI. I believe for what I’m going to be doing this would be good, like you say, never really that far apart out there. Now the question is being roof mounted what kind of distance are you getting and how is the SWR on that Ghost antenna in that location, Thanks for the info in Advance!
Realistically, in heavy woods, with GMRS, 2 miles is good. Its only a 15 watt radio. My ham radio at home puts out 100 watts and gets MAYBE 25 miles on a good day (on UHF). The higher the antenna, the better the reception-because of the way the waves propagate. Which is why people who mount them on their hoods, or bumpers, dont get great radio. You have an entire vehicle blocking 60-80% of your signal. Radio waves dont bend (well, they do, but thats another topic), and they dont go through metal, or other dense objects. So, roof mounts work best. Ideally (and, this isnt for GMRS, but it is for ham radios in the upper bands), a long whip antenna on a vehicle, tied down, so that it is largely horizontal, will get the best overall propagation. But, then you are dealing with having to tune antennas (which means shortening or lengthening them, essentially), and, for overlanding, thats not really practical. Which is why GMRS radios work well for us. Antennas dont need to be tuned, your comms are normally within a mile, maybe two-and you dont need a ton of power to put out comms. If you need something to reach dozens of miles, get an HF radio, your ham license, and play around with that.
Either way, the midland is a good radio. Just mount your antenna high. Your rig is a faraday cage, and the signal cant go through it, and, as I said, radio waves dont really bend, so you are limiting your range-particularly behind you-by mounting it low, and forward.

Reactions: Ubiety and TOMICON