Rank IV

Traveler III

Spooner, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Mackey
Member #

Radio installed, not so bad! Only thing is the SWR meter is saying it’s running a bit higher then I would like but have a bunch of coiled up antenna cable left over so I ordered a coax cable cutter and crimper set and I will take out the excess cable hopefully that will help... if that doesn’t fix it I might order a different antenna to get the number below 1.5 on the meter! Here are a few pictures! Also if anyone knows how else to lower the SWR numbers let me know

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
coiled up antenna cable
Coiled coax can be bad, maybe try "folding" it together like a square wave. And by "folding" I mean gently bringing it together without putting harsh bends in it. ;) Let us know how that ghost antenna in its current placement works for you when out on adventures.

Reactions: TOMICON

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Radio installed, not so bad! Only thing is the SWR meter is saying it’s running a bit higher then I would like but have a bunch of coiled up antenna cable left over so I ordered a coax cable cutter and crimper set and I will take out the excess cable hopefully that will help... if that doesn’t fix it I might order a different antenna to get the number below 1.5 on the meter! Here are a few pictures! Also if anyone knows how else to lower the SWR numbers let me know
Coiling up your Coax isn’t going to raise or lower your SWR… in fact making a 4” coil of 4-10 wraps is encouraged to make a ugly choke for blocking u wanted RF.

SWR is directly related to the length and placement of the antenna as well as antenna ground. Without an antenna analyzer or network VNA it’s kind of hard to tell you exactly what to do… it’s just a trial and error game… try moving the antenna to another location… if that’s out of the question, then try making the antenna longer by a few CM, or shorter… anything under 2.5:1 and your radio can handle, but 1.1-1.5 is the sweet. SWR number.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Coiled coax can be bad, maybe try "folding" it together like a square wave. And by "folding" I mean gently bringing it together without putting harsh bends in it. ;) Let us know how that ghost antenna in its current placement works for you when out on adventures.
How is coiled Coax bad? The ARRL antenna book specifically says to coil apx 2m of coax to form an Ugly Choke for 2m/70cm (and as we know GMRS is just outside of the 70cm band).

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
How is coiled Coax bad? The ARRL antenna book specifically says to coil apx 2m of coax to form an Ugly Choke for 2m/70cm (and as we know GMRS is just outside of the 70cm band).
Honestly I don't have a good answer but have had several RF engineers tell me that coiling it is bad and if you have extra length to "fold" it without kinking. Then we saw something shiny and all concentration was lost ;)

Reactions: M Rose and TOMICON

TOMICON

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Mackey
Member #

I will definitely give them ideas a try, also I’ve ordered that cutter and crimping system to shorten the cable so ultimately it is excess cable and needs to go for a cleaner look, maybe order another antenna that’s adjustable too, and I will let everyone know how that ghost antenna works, i don’t have anyone around here to try it out with but I have bought some handheld FRS radios for out on the trail when you need a spotter or you have someone tagging along that has no coms setup. Thanks for the awesome ideas! It’s really nice to have a place to show your stuff and get good advice. THANKS EVERYONE TOMICON.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What is the SWR? With excess cable I’ve always taken the approach of lazy sweeps under seats and carpet. I don’t like to cut coax I’d I can avoid it, you never know when another 24” might be needed.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

TOMICON

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Mackey
Member #

What is the SWR? With excess cable I’ve always taken the approach of lazy sweeps under seats and carpet. I don’t like to cut coax I’d I can avoid it, you never know when another 24” might be needed.
Yeah the SWR was 1.5 on channel 1 low power, then on channel 22 it was 2.6 low power I don’t know ‍♂ what GMRS radios normally run at but I liked my old CB’s running about 1.1 on the Meter on the bottom channel and the top channel, but maybe this is different ‍♂ really don’t know anything about this! Don’t wanna damage the radio, thanks for any advice! Tomicon

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I have temporarily misplaced my mic mount so I used a small loop of wire that also holds the charging cable for my phone. I might just leave it that way since it ended up being more convenient than where I was planning on mounting it anyway.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
2.6 SWR is definitely not Coax related… either antenna placement or poor ground connection of the antenna as the Ghost antenna is a severely compromised antenna. It is basically a coil of wire wound to give resonance near GMRS frequencies. For best mobile applications look for a 5/8 wave antenna like the Comet we all mentioned earlier I. This same thread… but as long as you are below 3.1:1 SWR your radio will handle the mismatch without harm to your finals.

Read the fallowing post linked below in regards to tuning the Midland Ghost antenna (and antennas like it).

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah the SWR was 1.5 on channel 1 low power, then on channel 22 it was 2.6 low power I don’t know ‍♂ what GMRS radios normally run at but I liked my old CB’s running about 1.1 on the Meter on the bottom channel and the top channel, but maybe this is different ‍♂ really don’t know anything about this! Don’t wanna damage the radio, thanks for any advice! Tomicon
The spread of frequencies isn’t really that wide. I’d think the SWR would be closer across the band.

Do you have a bare metal connection for ground at the antenna? Even a short piece of metal braid should be fine as a jumper.

TOMICON

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Mackey
Member #

The spread of frequencies isn’t really that wide. I’d think the SWR would be closer across the band.

Do you have a bare metal connection for ground at the antenna? Even a short piece of metal braid should be fine as a jumper.

This is a picture of the antenna setup and I had to open the slot on the steel antenna mount with a step drill bit to get a bit of wiggle room. Everything is tight, those were the readings I received on a new digital SWR meter. Thanks

Attachments