Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Hey all, I have a Hiker Trailer which had an AGM battery that pretty much died. After trying to resuscitate it, I've had no luck.
Wondering what people are using, what brands, for their trailers. Does the brand matter? I believe it has to be an AGM because the battery box is inside the trailer.
Battery to be replaced is a Power Partol SLA 1175. I've discovered that maybe Interstate makes this brand.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I have VMax Tank 125amp hour. They have a 10 to 12 year life span. A bit pricy but worth every dollar they ask for them. A few things to remember, never let your battery\batteries go below 50% charge, shortens its life span, bad battery mount or loose battery will damage the cells from vibration & jarring, AGM batteries resist damage from extreme cold weather better & installing a battery disconnect switch is good idea to cut off all power to your system when storing.007.JPG

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my trailer battery as well.

I did some calling around, checking specs one against the other (some people call it research, I think it's short of that!).

I came to the conclusion that the Full River Battery is probably the best bang-for-the-buck battery I want.

I think it's an "AGM-DC115-12" which I guess means it's an AGM, 115 Amp-hour, 12 volt.
Definitely a dedicated storage battery typically used in the RV industry.
Comes with a 30 month warranty and they're close to me if I have any problems.
Looks like the going price is about $340.

Any thoughts on that? Bueller?

Dan.

Reactions: Jonny G and GHQ1

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Hey ArkansasDon, thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned to not let the battery go lower than 50% on another thread. I definitely did this and probably let sit for a few months without being aware of what this would do.
So I know the battery is sitting lose in a battery box... leaf springs on the trailer and probably 2500 miles like that. Figure out a way to strap the battery down like in a vehicle so it has no possibilty of bouncing?
How does the battery disconnect switch help? Shouldn't we be trickle charging these or using a battery maintainer when not in use?

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

A battery disconnect switch is usually installed on a travel trailers, race cars, boats to prevent battery drainage. During trailer storage, any electrical devices ran off the 12v battery\batteries like smoke detectors, co2 detector's as examples can slowly drain the battery's power. The disconnect separate's this from the battery by cutting off the battery's power from the rest of your electrical system. That is shown on the right side of my photo with the large red cables running from the positive side of the battery to the disconnect switch (the red key switch) to the positive bus bar which supplies power to the fuse block to various parts to my electrical system. We should keep up the batteries power (charge) by checking the system periodically.

Reactions: Jonny G

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Got it. So a thing like a digital voltage indicator could be enough to drain the battery over time? That indicator is something that we have in the trailer. A disconnect switch could help prevent discharge, but still requires some periodic attention? Sound about right for some type of battery destroying prevention?

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

AGM's seem to hold on their power longer than other types of batteries which in reality can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. They can withstand extreme cold weather far more than other batteries w\o power drain in storage & not hindering in use.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my trailer battery as well.

I did some calling around, checking specs one against the other (some people call it research, I think it's short of that!).

I came to the conclusion that the Full River Battery is probably the best bang-for-the-buck battery I want.

I think it's an "AGM-DC115-12" which I guess means it's an AGM, 115 Amp-hour, 12 volt.
Definitely a dedicated storage battery typically used in the RV industry.
Comes with a 30 month warranty and they're close to me if I have any problems.
Looks like the going price is about $340.

Any thoughts on that? Bueller?

Dan.
I have Full Throttle batteries (same company) as my starter batteries. I plan to use one of the Full River DC260-12 storage batteries for my house battery when I can afford it. Great company.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Got it. So a thing like a digital voltage indicator could be enough to drain the battery over time? That indicator is something that we have in the trailer. A disconnect switch could help prevent discharge, but still requires some periodic attention? Sound about right for some type of battery destroying prevention?
I put my 12v indicator through a switch as I did not like the idea of it always being on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my digital battery indicator shuts off automatically 10 seconds after pushing the on button. Any electrical device with light will drain the battery in due time. This is were your battery disconnect switch is a asset to your electrical system.

Last edited: