New 35" Tires!..Now Which Gears...?

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

I'm stoked, ordered 35" All Terrain KO2's with ProComp 7032 wheels (like the one in the picture).

I will be getting the lift done before I install new tires but I have a question about gearing.

-What gears does the stock 2016 JKU come with?
-Are there gears in the front AND back diff that need to be changed?
-What is a good price to get them installed at the shop?
-What gear ratio do you recommend?

It's my daily driver which I take off road just about every weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
I have 35s. You may be a 3.21? I think or probably. I went from a 4.10 in my rubi to a 4.88. It's a auto with the little 3.8. I'm happy with it and it's a daily driver. Yes the front and rear will have to be changed. Then I paid think 500 per axle to get mine done. That was gears bearings and oil. You'll like the bfg at. I have them on my winter wheels.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

the standard sport is 3.21. The Willys comes with 3.73s. a 16 with 35s everyone suggests 4.56s. With the 3.6 4.88s are too short, especially if you do allot of highway. They consider 4.88s with 35s to be a "performance level" for rock crawling. I have 4.56s and i get 18mpg on the hwy and 6th gear is actually functional. When you change gears you also need a tuner to program the new gears. Take a look at the chart below. Down here in Alabama to do a gear change it's typically 900 an axle, that's including parts. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: BeastModeABM

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
Stock is either 3.21, 3.73 or 4.10 (if a Rubi). I'm running 35"s on my '16 3.6L auto 3.21, and so far so good. If I get into a situation where I want better performance, I'll go to 4.56 or 4.88's.

Editing my reply -

Regarding diff's, if not a Rubi then you're open diff w/ Jeep's BLD (brake lock differential) system. This is a pseudo-electronic locking diff, it can help you get traction to the stopped wheel to get you over where you need to go. Some find it completely adequate for how they wheel, and never do diffs. Some find they need a locking diff - can go e-diff, air-locker, or mechanical diff. That's a whole new world of opinions... :-)

I'd say get the mod's on and drive it - see if YOU think it needs regearing. For every one Jeep that is upgraded, another comes through stock... :-) Even w/ open diffs and tires/suspension, a stock Jeep w/ a good driver can go places you wouldn't believe! Best mod is experience!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We both have a Dana 30 front ends in our jeeps. Some would argue, that the Dana 30 ring and pinion are week to run 35' tires. As a precaution, I had my gears Cryo.

http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/5937/cryogenic-treatment--of-gears

It was not expensive. Many shops charge by the lbs. It created a three weeks delay on getting the gears installed. The process makes the gears as strong as the Dana 44 in a Rubicon.

I run both 285/70-17 (33' tires) and 315/70-17 (35' tires) with 4.10 gears. I run the 35's on more technical stuff, and the 33's for overlanding. This has worked great for me.

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
When (if) I do finally regear, I'm going to look into the cryo treatment! Will probably wait until I break it, or it becomes unbearable (it's liveable down here on the plains). That's pretty cool! Thanks!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
When (if) I do finally regear, I'm going to look into the cryo treatment! Will probably wait until I break it, or it becomes unbearable (it's liveable down here on the plains). That's pretty cool! Thanks!
I like your strategy, don't make changes that aren’t required. Your Jeep will do amazing things stock. Friends that have driven 35' tires and 3.21 gears, often complain about a tendency for gears to hunt when on the hwy. This can be upsetting to some, and may contribute to choosing an upgrade to gears. Experience may vary. Let me know how it works out for you.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
There are a lot of variables when it comes to choosing a lift. It really comes down to haw you intend to use your Jeep. Most lifts for Jeep JK are oriented around playing in the Rocks. Since you are in this Forum, I assume you are at least a bit interested in Overlanding. You build a Jeep differently for playing in the Rocks vs. Overlanding. If your intent is to Overland with it, these would probably work better.

www.arbusa.com look at the OME lifts
or
www.aev-conversions.com the 2.5 dualsport xt would clear your 35's

If you want to play in the rocks, these lift will work, but this is not their primary purpose.

You mentioned you like the rough country lift because it comes with control arms. My first trip through Baja California I needed to replace a lower control arm. Since at this time, I had aftermarket lowers, I had to wait for one to be sent through customs. I was stuck in Mexico for two additional weeks, waiting for parts to clear customs. Now I only use geometry correction brackets. They are far less likly to be damaged. Replacing an OEM lower is really easy, since every country already has stock in country.

PS Since you know insurance: I do get a rider on my US insurance, when I'm traveling overseas. I need to get local insurance in every country I travel through. You need this in hand, before you make a border crossing.

Your lift choice really comes down to how do you want to use your Jeep.

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Not 100% sure, was leaning toward this one due to affordability an the fact it comes with the a arms and shocks. What do you recommend??

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-674x.html
I agree with @Jeff Graham on the AEV system. A very reputable company. Also I am a strong believer in "low center of gravity", especially on a short wheelbase vehicle. The 2.5" lift will gain you clearance for the 35" tires, and when you add the clearance and the increased sized of the tires you will be looking at about 5" of total lift, while keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. This will be beneficial when you add a roof rack and start adding weight up top.

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

I had the 3 1/2" AEV lift and loved the look and the off road performance. Due to the fact I have the Mopar lifetime extended warranty it was possible they could have cancelled my warranty so I switched to the Mopar 2" lift. The Mopar lift rides much better for my daily commute. I have not done any off roading with it yet but since its my daily driver I do not regret the Mopar lift. If you watch on Amazon you will find Athens Jeep in Georgia will have the 2" lift for the jeep JK unlimited for $917.00 shipped to your house. Also you will get closer to 2 1/2 to 3" of lift with the Mopar. Good luck picking and post pics when its done. I have the BFG All Terrains on my jeep in 35x12.5 17 and love them for all season driving.

Hank

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

So I finally made the decision on my lift. I got the 3 inch teraflex sport lift. https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/3-3-5in-lifts/ter1258400-jk-4-door-3-sport-s-t3-suspension-system-w-fox-shocks

It should allow for higher speeds off road. Right now I'm doing 5-10 on trails everyone else is doing 10-25, my guess is I'm slower due to the solid axels. Where as most of my Toyota buddies don't have them. Small pot holes and wash board roads should be a bit easier.

It comes in next week. Still contemplating if I want to do it myself....

Reactions: Homeguy

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Not 100% sure, was leaning toward this one due to affordability an the fact it comes with the a arms and shocks. What do you recommend??

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-674x.html

Rough Country is a garbage suspension option. Their quality is definitely lacking. It's better to spend the money and get a good quality lift out of good quality parts. You don't want to end up with Death Wobble. Stick to brands like Teraflex, RockKrawler, and Rubicon Express. Your ride quality will thank you. Teraflex though has a much rougher ride over RockKrawler and Rubicon Express.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Rough Country is a garbage suspension option. Their quality is definitely lacking. It's better to spend the money and get a good quality lift out of good quality parts. You don't want to end up with Death Wobble. Stick to brands like Teraflex, RockKrawler, and Rubicon Express. Your ride quality will thank you. Teraflex though has a much rougher ride over RockKrawler and Rubicon Express.
He went with a Teraflex. Since the money is spent, let's try to be supportive. If he likes the lift, that's great. If he doesn't, who on this forum hasn't purchased something that hasn't worked out.

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

No worries guys I can use all the info I can get. Slowly gaining knowledge on how everything works. Never been the mr. fix it type guy but my Jeep makes me want to!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I don't think any lift is perfect for any user. You have to start somewhere, and Teraflex puts together good kits. Install it yourself, and get on the trail. A seat of the pance evaluation is the only way to know if this Lift will work on your vehicle, with your loadout. If the springs are a bit stiff, then change out the springs at some point. It's your jeep, build it they way you want.