Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A few months ago I talked about turning the page, selling the cruzer, the trailer, all the gear that goes with it and starting over. The 2024 Taco tugging an Airstream Basecamp seems to check all the boxes. The 80 series has been a great hobby and I’ve learned a lot about keeping it healthy & reliable. The trailer was a fun build and now is extraordinarily reliable. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive up to the Arctic Ocean again tomorrow. However, and you guys all know it, 9-10 mpg gets old on a long trip really fast. I’m 70 now, my wife is 67. She’s tired of dirt and I’m tired of wrenching. So, your thoughts on the ‘24 Taco and interest in the set up I have built. IMG_1536.jpegIMG_1727.jpeg

Reactions: TOMB and freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
A few months ago I talked about turning the page, selling the cruzer, the trailer, all the gear that goes with it and starting over. The 2024 Taco tugging an Airstream Basecamp seems to check all the boxes. The 80 series has been a great hobby and I’ve learned a lot about keeping it healthy & reliable. The trailer was a fun build and now is extraordinarily reliable. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive up to the Arctic Ocean again tomorrow. However, and you guys all know it, 9-10 mpg gets old on a long trip really fast. I’m 70 now, my wife is 67. She’s tired of dirt and I’m tired of wrenching. So, your thoughts on the ‘24 Taco and interest in the set up I have built. View attachment 274373View attachment 274374
Great choice for a ride (24Taco) and the AS basecamp will be awesome. Will you miss turning a wrench?
Hybrid Taco?

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great choice for a ride (24Taco) and the AS basecamp will be awesome. Will you miss turning a wrench?
Hybrid Taco?
I’ve been turning wrenches since the early 70s. At first out of necessity, then as I got older and started buying hobby vehicles it was for fun. Now, it’s just work again. A couple weeks ago I thought I was 50 years old and lifted a new power steering box up onto the frame from underneath, wrenched my back, I’d never done That before. A week later my wife manned the floor jack and we got it up in there. There is a sense of satisfaction doing your own work, but I’ve been satisfied enough.

Reactions: freak4life

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I here ya. Turnt 70 myself and still do pretty much whatever I want but sure not getting any easier. Anymore I usually just have someone else do the heavy lifting, etc. I have a '17 Taco. I've taken it to the Rockies twice and many other destinations. Very capable and dependable ride. Comfortable, not so much. I'm 5'9", or was? It fits me fine but if you're over 6' probably not too well. I had to get a gel cushion for longer drives as the seat was doing a number on my hips. Things are tolerable now with good cushion.
I think I saw that the '24 Tacos have a 4 cyl. turbo engine. Might be great. I have been pulling a 21' bay boat with my 6 cyl. with no problems. I haven't checked the tow capacity on the new model. Probably over 6K lbs. I did add some air bags to the rear to help level the truck when weighted. Helps with side roll on trails when the RTT is on.
I will follow to see what you come up with as I have considered a new ride also. One thing about Tacos is that it probably has more aftermarket options than any other vehicle. I also put a Prinsu rack and Diamondback bed cover on that I really like.

Reactions: freak4life

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I'm 56 and have gotten tired of always working on things. Always sleeping on the ground and dealing with the dirt. Now the rig is towed behind a 40' DP motorhome. We frequently base camp and spend time exploring around us.

If I'm going to get 9 mpg, I'm going to be comfortable when I get there.

1708541197446.png

Not to say I don't do some tent camping with the kids and grandkids. But that's going to be for a few days, not a few weeks.

1708541339197.png

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I here ya. Turnt 70 myself and still do pretty much whatever I want but sure not getting any easier. Anymore I usually just have someone else do the heavy lifting, etc. I have a '17 Taco. I've taken it to the Rockies twice and many other destinations. Very capable and dependable ride. Comfortable, not so much. I'm 5'9", or was? It fits me fine but if you're over 6' probably not too well. I had to get a gel cushion for longer drives as the seat was doing a number on my hips. Things are tolerable now with good cushion.
I think I saw that the '24 Tacos have a 4 cyl. turbo engine. Might be great. I have been pulling a 21' bay boat with my 6 cyl. with no problems. I haven't checked the tow capacity on the new model. Probably over 6K lbs. I did add some air bags to the rear to help level the truck when weighted. Helps with side roll on trails when the RTT is on.
I will follow to see what you come up with as I have considered a new ride also. One thing about Tacos is that it probably has more aftermarket options than any other vehicle. I also put a Prinsu rack and Diamondback bed cover on that I really like.
Ya, a few months ago we thought an e350 would be the way to go. Itd be cool, but it would be a single task vehicle, not something to tool around the neighborhood in.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Early reports for the 24Taco towing are not good in the MPG dept.
Had to chuckle here. Toyota has a couple of the best gas milage vehicles out there and a couple of the worse.
Guess which category SUV/trucks are in?
You don't buy a Toyota truck for the fuel milage, you buy it because it will out live you if you take care of it.

Reactions: MOAK and freak4life

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
You don't buy a Toyota truck for the fuel milage, you buy it because it will out live you if you take care of it.
OP brought up mileage:

However, and you guys all know it, 9-10 mpg gets old on a long trip really fast

OP specifically said he would be towing:

The 2024 Taco tugging an Airstream Basecamp seems to check all the boxes.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Aware of what the OP said.
Didn't intend to insult.
Sorry.
I do find it amusing that people even comment on the poor fuel milage.
My statement holds true. You don't buy a Toyota truck for milage and sometimes power. You buy it for the quality.

Reactions: MOAK and FishinCrzy

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Had to chuckle here. Toyota has a couple of the best gas milage vehicles out there and a couple of the worse.
That is exactly why I bought a 4 runner, God willing it is the last vehicle I buy. Not sure but it may equal or exceed the aftermarket mods of the Tacos.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Aware of what the OP said.
Didn't intend to insult.
Sorry.
I do find it amusing that people even comment on the poor fuel milage.
My statement holds true. You don't buy a Toyota truck for milage and sometimes power. You buy it for the quality.
Yeah, I don't worry too much about mpg as much as making it back home. Fully overland trip loaded at 70+ mph I get 13.5 mpg. Pulling a 4K lb. boat and trailer 8-9 mpg. Maybe 10 if running 50 mph on the level. I just unloaded everything to put it in the body shop for a little deer collision damage and I was getting 18 mpg. That's with being slightly lifted and 18" KO2 (heavy ass) tires so I am comfortable with that. Not sure why they are going to the 4 cyl.? We'll see.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OP brought up mileage:

However, and you guys all know it, 9-10 mpg gets old on a long trip really fast

OP specifically said he would be towing:

The 2024 Taco tugging an Airstream Basecamp seems to check all the boxes.
I’ll give a little context as to why mpgs were touched upon. Last trip we spent just about $7,000 for fuel, probably more as much of the trip gasoline was way over $6 a gallon. 2 or 3 more MPGs makes a difference. That said, it is a Toyota, I know perfectly well it’s not going to get the kind of mpgs a lesser truck would garner. It’s a trade off. Keeping that in mind, 30-40-50% better than what a thirsty 80 garners is a huge difference for those of us that take long distance overlanding tours. I’m 70 now and we want to keep doing this for at least the next 10-15 years. Looking that far ahead, I know the Taco will serve us well. I know that MPGs, although not the top priority, will be better than what we currently have.
Ya, me too. ( chuckle loudly, my wife even laughed at that) the dude is missing the point. Must be comparing it to his Civic

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
A few months ago I talked about turning the page, selling the cruzer, the trailer, all the gear that goes with it and starting over. The 2024 Taco tugging an Airstream Basecamp seems to check all the boxes. The 80 series has been a great hobby and I’ve learned a lot about keeping it healthy & reliable. The trailer was a fun build and now is extraordinarily reliable. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive up to the Arctic Ocean again tomorrow. However, and you guys all know it, 9-10 mpg gets old on a long trip really fast. I’m 70 now, my wife is 67. She’s tired of dirt and I’m tired of wrenching. So, your thoughts on the ‘24 Taco and interest in the set up I have built. View attachment 274373View attachment 274374
When I go with the wife we have a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel pulling a 28’ Grand Design 2800BH travel trailer. When it’s just me, it’s my Jeep Jk Rubicon. My wife doesn’t like off road, but doesn’t mind me going and having fun. We are 70 and 66.