Rank 0

Contributor I

Habersham, Georgia, USA
First Name
Bubba
Last Name
Rhubarb
Hi folks!

I'm ready to upgrade from my $80 drone....
I want one that can carry a long spool of nylon 1000 ft or so, a guy line to start a zip line between ridges.

Can I get anything half decent for a few hundred bucks that can do this? Thanks

Reactions: Todd S.
D

Deleted member 14476

I don’t think so. I did some quick googling (I don’t zip line so I don’t know what ropes used) and I got 1200’ of 1/4 nylon was 14 lbs. I used this website to see all the payload capacities of popular drones, and it seems you wouldn’t be approaching that capability to carry that until the $10,000+ models. Payload capacity is a huge issue just from the drones not being engineered for carrying weight, just themselves and a lightweight camera most times.

Edit: Well actually I suppose you wouldn’t have to mount the spool to the drone, you could leave that weight on the other end and let the drone drag the line, then it’s now a question of how much line that drone could pull before it’d get bogged down. Not 1000’ though, I think there’ll be too much going on up there with the drone,rope, and physics to get that far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
Check out the DJI phantom 3 drone. I have seen the Taliban drop small mortars from them. You could probably pick up an old used one pretty cheap. Or you might break it up into sections. This way you won’t have to carry much weight.