Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Short answer is probably so, with a few qualifications. 3rd gen 4runners are probably the most popular, and some would say the most bullet proof generation of 4runner out there. That said, they did have a few issues, just some stuff you should check before getting into one. I'm not super familiar with the 3rd gens, I know tacomas and 4th gen 4runners a lot more. This is just what I've picked up from passively scrolling through the forums reading about 4runners in general, because I'm a toyota guy and I love my 4runner.

The 3rd gen forum is the most active forum on t4r.org. super informative stuff out there. Check out this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html
and the whole 3rd gen forum: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/

Don't get freaked out from the "common issues", these are just good things to look for. Overall, the 3rd gens are great vehicles, strong, and they regularly are taken into the 300 and 400k mileage ranges, with proper care and maintenance. If the vehicle is clean, hasn't been beat on, and you can't find red flags, I'd buy it. Since its for your daughter, I'd probably go ahead and do some preventative maintenance because of the mileage (brake pads and rotors, oil, plugs, filters, all fluids).

Reactions: BeardedOverland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I agree with f250ben, dont get freaked out but do have a mechanic inspect it. I listened to the most knowledgable Toyota person I know @VCeXpedition talk to one of our club members about the 4 runner longevity, and the bottom line is its a good platform.

Reactions: BeardedOverland