Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My Icom IC-7100 lost its magic smoke and I’m sending it in for repair as we speak. But I need an excellent 2m/70cm transceiver that can easily connect to a TNC and can do APRS out of the box. My first choice was the Kenwood TM-710g, but it’s been discontinued for a while now. I’m not interested in the Yasue FTM-300. Because once I hook up a TNC I loose the ability for phone.
This radio needs to be 50w or greater, and can be used as a base station as well
As mobile. Also not opposed to getting several transceivers to accomplish my goals.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Mike, what're your thoughts on using a dedicated APRS machine? Such as a FT1900 or 7900, etc. linked to a Mobilinkd TNC.

I run FTM400's, one of them I have setup to export APRS packets to an old Garmin Nuvi for visual representation of APRS stations on a map. But! That's about all I do with it and I agree, it's been a bit disheartening to see the lacking true TNC support of them compared to Kenwood. I can at least send text and such with the 400 as-is which frankly, is about all I do with APRS (position and text) but I do keep a Mobilinkd on-hand with a mobile interface cable in case I need true TNC support.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mike, what're your thoughts on using a dedicated APRS machine? Such as a FT1900 or 7900, etc. linked to a Mobilinkd TNC.

I run FTM400's, one of them I have setup to export APRS packets to an old Garmin Nuvi for visual representation of APRS stations on a map. But! That's about all I do with it and I agree, it's been a bit disheartening to see the lacking true TNC support of them compared to Kenwood. I can at least send text and such with the 400 as-is which frankly, is about all I do with APRS (position and text) but I do keep a Mobilinkd on-hand with a mobile interface cable in case I need true TNC support.
For my base station a dedicated Packet Radio is an option, and one I would rather do, and no need for APRS at the QTH. However I’m the road I’m trying to reduce radios… I still have the 7100 (I’ll be getting it back in a few months) which I would like to not have to use for packet and finding an APRS work around with it. The FTM-400XDR was my second choice, but it’s discontinued, and by the time I have the money for upgrades won’t be in stock anywhere at a reasonable price.
I just saw a blip on my radar of Yasue releasing a FTM-500XD(?) in the very new future. So I’m going to look into that. Maybe Yasue has finally listened to us and provided something similar to the Kenwood.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Ah I see, maybe hiding a dedicated APRS rig under the seat would be an option if you're unable to find a mobile rig that fully supports APRS as desired. Beyond that and the rather expensive (and discontinued, as you mentioned) Kenwood option, I'm at a loss for what might be out there. True TNC support seems to be dying off as an option.

Yep, unfortunately so. I snagged one more when the announcement came and they were on sale just to have. I did see the FTM500 as well but will be interested to see what the specs look like. I'm still blown away Yaesu hasn't listened and added a proper TNC to their mobiles after all these years, perhaps in the 500 they will have finally listened but I won't hold my breath. I'm not liking the trend that appears to be smaller screens, I enjoy my 400 and I'm not sure the 500 will be worth an upgrade for me; but we'll see!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ah I see, maybe hiding a dedicated APRS rig under the seat would be an option if you're unable to find a mobile rig that fully supports APRS as desired. Beyond that and the rather expensive (and discontinued, as you mentioned) Kenwood option, I'm at a loss for what might be out there. True TNC support seems to be dying off as an option.

Yep, unfortunately so. I snagged one more when the announcement came and they were on sale just to have. I did see the FTM500 as well but will be interested to see what the specs look like. I'm still blown away Yaesu hasn't listened and added a proper TNC to their mobiles after all these years, perhaps in the 500 they will have finally listened but I won't hold my breath. I'm not liking the trend that appears to be smaller screens, I enjoy my 400 and I'm not sure the 500 will be worth an upgrade for me; but we'll see!
Obviously your not familiar with the seat on a Full Sized Bronco… they are fold and tumble to allow access to the rear passenger compartment. So under the seat mounting isn’t an option.
i have an APRS tranciever I built. Problem is it only works on one frequency.

I only mentioned the 500 because there isn’t much information on it yet.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I have my solution… the Icom IC5200A has CAT control, as well as a Bluetooth board… so I can run APRS off of my iPad, and still use other packet operations via PC wile using phone on VFO A.