Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've been using a small portable butane stove, but it seems I need to upgrade to a slightly larger stove, one that uses the small propane bottles.
Any decent stoves that aren't too expensive?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Any of the newer Coleman’s available anywhere use the small propane bottles. If you want some nostalgia, get a decent 425 and a propane generator from Walmart, tractor supply, D&B or online for cheap. If you have space for a suitcase stove that runs Coleman fuel or propane then you have some versatility. Some of the Coleman’s, like a 424 Dual Fuel will even run gasoline or Coleman fuel, then if you still pick up a propane generator you have a tri-fuel option. I always have an old suitcase style Coleman in the rig. You can probably yard sale one for under $10, pay under $20 for the propane generator that will work with any suitcase stove and then you have choices...

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Any of the newer Coleman’s available anywhere use the small propane bottles. If you want some nostalgia, get a decent 425 and a propane generator from Walmart, tractor supply, D&B or online for cheap. If you have space for a suitcase stove that runs Coleman fuel or propane then you have some versatility. Some of the Coleman’s, like a 424 Dual Fuel will even run gasoline or Coleman fuel, then if you still pick up a propane generator you have a tri-fuel option. I always have an old suitcase style Coleman in the rig. You can probably yard sale one for under $10, pay under $20 for the propane generator that will work with any suitcase stove and then you have choices...
I prefer the small propane bottles since I use them for my coleman lantern.
Thanks for the advice! Will look at some now, still have some time to look since I won't be camping until the weather gets cooler.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have many stoves, most of them do a good job. the best I have found is A Camp Partner. it is the best built best cooking stove out there.
With an endorsement like that, I HAD to look it up and check some reviews. I do like the shineyness it seems pretty durable. Some of my older Coleman’s are steel bodied (1950s-80s era). They are proud of those Partner stoves! I guess the same could be said for a lot of our toys tho. Here’s wishing you many years of happy service out of your beautiful stove...

Reactions: MMc

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have many stoves, most of them do a good job. the best I have found is A Camp Partner. it is the best built best cooking stove out there.
Wondering if you mean a Cook Partner or Camp Chef, both of whom make rugged aluminum cook stoves.

To the OP:
I've had my Cook Partner 22" for over four years, have used the hell out of it, and absolutely love it. It's the foundation of my outdoor cooking setup and is well worth every penny. They make a damned nice griddle, too.

partnergriddle_8600-900.jpg
PartnerSteelStove_6643.jpeg

Reactions: MMc and lhoffm4

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

With an endorsement like that, I HAD to look it up and check some reviews. I do like the shineyness it seems pretty durable. Some of my older Coleman’s are steel bodied (1950s-80s era). They are proud of those Partner stoves! I guess the same could be said for a lot of our toys tho. Here’s wishing you many years of happy service out of your beautiful stove...
I have a three burner Coleman that lives in the garage, It's been converted to propane, it's great! I have six other wife gas stove
Wondering if you mean a Cook Partner or Camp Chef, both of whom make rugged aluminum cook stoves.

To the OP:
I've had my Cook Partner 22" for over four years, have used the hell out of it, and absolutely love it. It's the foundation of my outdoor cooking setup and is well worth every penny. They make a damned nice griddle, too.

View attachment 206458
View attachment 206446
Cook Partner is the call, I wish I had purchased before I purchased all the others. The Camp chefs have all failed me durning a trip.

Reactions: Road

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have many stove including a cook partners and camp chefs. I would not say any one stove rules them all. Even the Cook Partner, one dried out and snapped O-ring will leave you struggling to find a field fix. The hose to stove coupling seems to be proprietary too.

If you need a stove just a bit more powerful than your butane stove, I might suggest the Gas-One Dual fuel. Most butane stove are rated at 9k BTU. This one is rated at 15k BTU and runs on both butane and Propane. ( I don't know if the rating is for butane or propane but I can tell you it is more powerful than most butane stove when running butane).

Reactions: DMS1 and Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I have many stove including a cook partners and camp chefs. I would not say any one stove rules them all. Even the Cook Partner, one dried out and snapped O-ring will leave you struggling to find a field fix. The hose to stove coupling seems to be proprietary too.

If you need a stove just a bit more powerful than your butane stove, I might suggest the Gas-One Dual fuel. Most butane stove are rated at 9k BTU. This one is rated at 15k BTU and runs on both butane and Propane. ( I don't know if the rating is for butane or propane but I can tell you it is more powerful than most butane stove when running butane).

That might work for now, seems small as well.

My little butane one struggles when I'm cooking in low Temps.
When I was in utah, it was 14°f during the day and could even heat up water to make coffee. The flame was barely coming out, and it was a new can.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Butane is horrible for low temperatures. Propane does okay but also struggles a bit at 14 degree. Using an insulating blanket/cover helps. For more extreme temperatures, look into white gas.

Reactions: lhoffm4

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I use one of those Gas-One Dual fuel stoves and it works just fine. They make both an 8K and 15K BTU version

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Butane is horrible for low temperatures. Propane does okay but also struggles a bit at 14 degree. Using an insulating blanket/cover helps. For more extreme temperatures, look into white gas.
I dont want to stray from propane, since I bring them anyways.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I use an older Coleman propane stove. They are around $50. It has never let me down in the 15 years or so I have had it. I just picked up a Tembo Tusk Skottle so I may start leaving the Coleman at home and just use one of my backing stoves if I want to boil water or heat the oven.

Reactions: SLO Rob

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I recently bought two Coleman products, both failed on first use. I will never buy another one. Just saying… the older ones were probably much better.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I recently bought two Coleman products, both failed on first use. I will never buy another one. Just saying… the older ones were probably much better.
can I ask what you bought and how they failed you? Stoves and lanterns are fairly simple devices with fairly easy repairs, which is one of the main reasons I, like many others, prefer them often times over other brands of stoves and lanterns. Perhaps I can even assist in getting them back to a reliable state of usability? Beyond the stoves and lanterns, I am out of my wheel house. Coleman has branded so many outdoors products. Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.

Reactions: DMS1

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I jump in here about my Camp Chef. I had a 2 burner. one of the really hot ones It was red. I don't much care about models and numbers. Fifth trip first morning going to make coffee in the morning the brass tube running from the first burner to the second had broken. No coffee that morning. I crimped and folded back the tube and took it to a local that brazed it closed. It was used as a o burned for the rest of the trip. Maybe it was bad luck, but a stove is mission critical for me. I camp in Deserts and wood is a issue for camp fires.

I store and haul my stoves in their packing boxes. The gas lines are packed as they come from the factory. The road was rough, the truck was paced pretty tight. There is no good reason for it to break, IHO. I have and use my Grandfather 's 3 Burner 60's model, I have owned 3 other 2 burner stoves that served me well except the Camp Chef. The Cook Partner I use now is the best made, best flame control I have ever used. I wish I found it sooner.

Reactions: lhoffm4

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
can I ask what you bought and how they failed you?
Multifuel stoves and lantern. Both leaked like crazy from new, the stove had a bad weld on the tank, the lantern leaked in multiple places. I replaced the tank on the stove at first, but the system still kept going out and not working properly.

Coleman offered to send me completely new pieces, I declined, returned the garbage and switched brands, no issues since …

I wanted to stay with white gas, to keep it to one fuel system, but their products are just cheap as hell, zero quality control. My MSR and Primus stuff isn’t as practical, since it’s backpacking gear, but it “just works”, in case of my MSR stove for decades now. Haven’t found another multifuel lantern yet, but using LED has been okay.

I've since caved in and I'm in the process of switching my main rig to propane, partly because of a off-road trailer with propane system. Not something I'd want to use on international trips, but for North America it'll work fine.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a three burner Coleman that lives in the garage, It's been converted to propane, it's great! I have six other wife gas stove

Cook Partner is the call, I wish I had purchased before I purchased all the others. The Camp chefs have all failed me durning a trip.
Maybe the Camp Chefs don't like to run on wife gas....?

If you are just going to boil water get a Kelly Kettle, I use mine in the desert on twigs of sage. I like white gas and have an old Coleman single burner, but propane is so much cleaner to cook with. I took an old Colman 425E dual fuel and converted it to propane burners. Keeps that old skool look!