Need off line, stand alone, PC based mapping software. Anyone doing this?

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As the title says, I need a stand alone mapping program. I have Gaia but its web based and while it works for mapping and sending to my Ipad, it has issues sending a GPX file I created to my PC.
Here's what I need to do, create a route and put the GPX file into my PC and or modify one of my existing GPX files. I have folders with all my GPX files stored. I would like to modify, share (email a GPX), update.....from my pc.

When I searched, I found a few older posts and mostly said install Gaia.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Gaia on PC is no good on the trail as you need connection to the internet. I have a bluetooth GPS module that connects to my Dell 2 in 1. I use an app off the MS store called maps pro. Works great. I have limited seat time with PC off grid for my daily trail nav. I use a cheap Samsung with gaia on it and it's killer, and up to date.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My main purpose here is just file back up and editing. I'm still using Gaia in the vehicle. With people using tablets now, most of the stand alone PC based software is either gone or they want you to pay by the month.

My biggest issue I have with Gaia is you cant scroll over a waypoint and see its name. When editing, even if you zoom in, its hard to read the highway numbers, if you can read them at all. I do know everything has its flaws but when it comes down to editing, Gaia just doesn't cut it. Back in the windows 98 and XP days, I had some software that absolutely rocked. I guess that ruined me.

Chad C

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Countiss
Member #

You could try google earth I guess. I'm not sure how well it works for editing files but I know it does that at least.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Garmin basecamp supports gpx format. Maybe that fits your needs?

Or have you heard about the Quo Vadis navigation software? Never worked with it, but seems to be a quite mighty software for trip planning and other navigation related topcis.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Garmin basecamp supports gpx format. Maybe that fits your needs?
I used basecamp for years. That software absolutely rocked. I had forgotten the name and searching came up with explorer. That one is for your sat nav equipment and wants a monthly fee as well as the registration number of your Garmin device.
Someone sent me a link to basecamp yesterday. I now have that installed and will be purchasing the topo set next month.
Due to the number of tablet GPS systems, most of the PC based stand alone systems are gone now.
It will be nice to load in all my files and play around again.
Thanks for all the suggestions. When I get everything set up, I will post how it works.

Reactions: El-Dracho