Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’m currently running 275/70r17 KO2s on my 4th Gen 4RNR. Off road they have been great, but on road I’ll give them a 8 out of 10. It may be to the mileage (48,000) they have on them, but around 65-70 I get vehicle shake. It’s not bad, and yes wheels are balanced. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m trying to decide whether to go with another set of KO2s or maybe try another brand. What tires is everyone else using?

Thanks.

Old_Guy_Working

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Hey HoffmanMark,

I have been very happy with my Wildpeak A/T3W (LT305 / 65R18 124/121R). They are great at 18 ~ 30 psi off-road, and 34 PSI+ on the road. When its below freezing, until recently I also was getting a weird shimmy until they warmed up. I rotated and grudgingly paid for balance & alignment and it got a lot better but but still not perfect.

Above 40 F, they are great on the road and I often drive back and forth from SoCal and Reno for adventures.

Overall, I would buy them again.

Old_Guy_Working

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

PS — There is no real easy answer. I spent 4 days trying to decipher the right tires for my rig based on my desire not have to modify my it (e.g. cut fenders, liners, etc.).

I used this tool extensively and added in my modifications to select the perfect tire for me.

TireSize.com - Compare Tire Sizes, Specs, Prices & more is a great place to start and research what is best for your rig, your customizations, and your climate

Last edited:

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I have several A/T tires on my overlander, which is a Subaru. I have used the following:

1. Geolandars G015 A/Ts-quiet and do not take away much gas mileage.
  2. Cooper Discoverers A/T3W 4Ss - Quiet and there are several different loads with this tire
  3. Nitto Nomad Grapplers-quiet and I have taken them on several types of terrain as well as conditions. They have done well.
I have been very happy with all three of these, especially the Coopers and Nittos. It did take awhile to determine which would be the best suitable for my vehicle as well as my needs.

Reactions: Old_Guy_Working

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Our experience:

2010-2018 in South America

- Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
- Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019-2022 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad.

2022 - we bought a Wrangler JK LWB in Canada and it had Michelin LTX winter tyres all round: not my ideal choice however they were in good shape with lots of km left so we didn't waste money changing them. They are OK for highway, gravel, and some offroad, however on the Dempster we had two punctures in the same tyre (fixed at the roadside) so when we were in Fort Nelson we looked for an AT to replace the twice-repaired LTX. The spare (strangely) was an AT Bridgestone Dueler and the shop had one of these so now we have two Duelers on the back axle and two LTXs on the front (and as a spare). The Dueler would not have been my preferred choice however we were going to be covering a lot of km before the next place where we could expect to find ATs, and we had one already, so we went with the Dueler. We don;t have enough km in these to have formed a view, however they're quiet and have good highway grip, and have handled gravel and some offroad OK. When we reach a point at which we need to replace them we'll look for Toyos.

So, I'd recommend Toyos. I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.