GPS Device for motorcycle really necessary?

• HTML tutorial

mtbe

Rank 0

Contributor II

Colombia
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunkele
We drove the Panamerican between 2018 and 2020 in a van and used Google Maps, Maps.me and Waze (for traffic in a few of the big cities).

Next year, we are going to the Balkens, Italy, Greece and Turkey on a motorcycle. How necessary is the extra GPS device for maps? Why not just use the phone? Is it due to data usage? We're not looking for off roading or difficult mountainous tracks...just main roads, even if some are gravel/dirt.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi David,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

If you like to introduce yourself to the community, you could do that here:

Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF* Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

Regarding the GPS question. I also sometimes just use the phone to get from A to B in urban areas. When travelling, it has several decisive disadvantages for me. Dependence on a telephone network, costs for data, inaccurate maps and often non-optimal routing, the phone is not robust, too few navigation options. My navigation setup consists of a very robust old Garmin GPS that I can always rely on, a robust tablet with very accurate offline maps, various other apps such as OB1, Garmin inReach and, of course, paper maps for an overview and in combination with a compass as a backup.

Greetings from currently Romania,
Bjoern