Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cumming, Georgia, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Masschelin
Member #

I have a 2022 RAM Power Wagon and I’m installing a dual battery set up to power my needs while camping (fridge, diesel heater, shower at some point and probably something else I’m not thinking of). I really don’t plan on needing to power much else with the set up right now but at some point, I will add some ditch lights as well as lighting to the bed rack to use while at camp. At this point, I’m not ready to consider a power station, but that may be something I add down the road if the power needs exceeded what an AGM battery can provide.

Current plans (with questions) include:
  • REDARC BCDC charger (guessing 1225D)
    • Question: do I need to order a wiring kit from REDARC as well? Looking at the kit recommended for the 1225D it appears that has everything I need. The batteries will sit diagonally across the engine bay from each other.
    • I do plan to add a solar panel to charge the battery through the BCDC at some point.
  • Purchasing an AGM battery
    • What are recommended AGM batteries to buy there’s a lot of room where the second battery goes in my engine bay. I’ve read folks putting a group 31 battery in the Power Wagon engine bay.
  • I want to power things from the dual battery set up in the bed of my truck. Can I just run a cable from the auxiliary battery to the bed with an Anderson connector on it? I read in someone’s post I need to include a breaker or a fuse?
Additional questions:
  • I understand why I might want to use a terminal block, but I don’t understand why I would use a busbar.
  • For things like ditch lights as well as the GMRS radio is it better to wire those to the starter battery or the auxiliary battery?
  • Any recommendations on battery terminal connectors?
  • For connections in the bed of the truck, I’ve thought about building or buying some type of power panel box. Any products or build recommendations?
  • Anything I’m forgetting?
I appreciate everyone putting up with all my questions. I want to make sure that I don’t buy things I don’t need and that I wire the system properly.