Need help wiring a panel, please

• HTML tutorial

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

So I have asked elsewhere, and not really getting information.

I want to run a three or four slot panel back from my battery to the rear of my Amigo, where there was a weak 12v plug before. I want to make something more robust.

As this is a convertible, I have a panel in mind that is water resistant. However...I can't find any good information about how to wire it back from the battery. Does anyone have a link or something like that I could look at to see how to do it?

Thanks in advance. I'm a total noob dummy with auto wiring.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Blue Sea Systems, like above post mentioned, they have a great tech line and website.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I like that one because it comes prewired...but a 4-square pattern, that they do not make, fits better for me, hence my question.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I like that one because it comes prewired...but a 4-square pattern, that they do not make, fits better for me, hence my question.
Wire it up the same way as BlueSea says to... power panels are very simple to wire... first is it going to be powered all the time, or only when the rig is running.... if hot all the time run a 10-12 gauge wire from battery positive to where the panel is going to be located, and ground wire to bare body. Add an inline fuse on the hot wire, daisy chain positive wires to the power ports and negative daisy chained to get her the same way and connect daisy chains to the appropriate wires, and done...
if you want the power on only when the rig is on, add a relay into the positive wire... pin 30 battery, pin 87 to power port, 85 ground, and pin 86 to any wire that is hot when the key is in the ACC position.

N

NorthWest Xploder

Voltage Drop Calculator Figure out your largest possible load then use this calculator. Dc stores well but hates to travel. Also make sure you use automotive stranded wire!

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I'm looking at Blueseas stuff, and have sent them an e-mail.

Looking at the one water-resistant panel, it looks like there's only the space for a positive lead to their panel. On Pwerwerx, though, it looks like the individual switch they sell needs a negative, too, which also goes to the panel plugs...but the Blueseas panel has no accomodation for a second input wire.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

Wire it up the same way as BlueSea says to... power panels are very simple to wire... first is it going to be powered all the time, or only when the rig is running.... if hot all the time run a 10-12 gauge wire from battery positive to where the panel is going to be located, and ground wire to bare body. Add an inline fuse on the hot wire, daisy chain positive wires to the power ports and negative daisy chained to get her the same way and connect daisy chains to the appropriate wires, and done...
if you want the power on only when the rig is on, add a relay into the positive wire... pin 30 battery, pin 87 to power port, 85 ground, and pin 86 to any wire that is hot when the key is in the ACC position.
I'm not ignoring your post, but still trying to figure this out. I do only want it to work when I switch it on, not off the keyed ignition. Looking to prevent all parasitic drains that I can.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I haven't heard back from Blueseas, but these are the questions I asked. Maybe one of you can explain it to me:

1. I see your panels (you have a few) that all come prewired all appear to have just one place on the switch for a power input. However, I see other products (I have been perusing Powerwerx stuff, as an example) include wiring diagrams that look like the negative should be tied to the switch...but the blueseas stuff has only one place to attach. Can you assist there?

2. Also, looking at the prewired panels, for the ones that come with a dedicated on off switch to prevent parasitic loss, only the "two slot" panel includes a fuse. Is there a fuse on the larger panels I can't see?

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I'm looking at Blueseas stuff, and have sent them an e-mail.

Looking at the one water-resistant panel, it looks like there's only the space for a positive lead to their panel. On Pwerwerx, though, it looks like the individual switch they sell needs a negative, too, which also goes to the panel plugs...but the Blueseas panel has no accomodation for a second input wire.
The negative wire is a ground for the switch it has a light in it.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I heard back from Blueseas. They prefer that to be a negative wire off the battery as opposed to a body ground at that location...though multiple people told me ground.

I wired it direct to the battery (tested it on a battery I have aside and it worked) and it seemed to be fine.

As my wiring to the actual vehicle battery fell apart as I was looking to hook on accessories, I'm waiting for a few cables to come in to see how it really worked out.