Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Hello. Im new to Overlanding and I'm looking for recommendations on good first time trails in the NE Kentucky/SE Indiana area. Looking to take the family with me for some camping as well so campsites are a plus.

ROUGEONE

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Winchester, Indiana, United States
First Name
Bryon
Last Name
thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Not sure how deep you want to get into. Bee camp road out of Madison is decent got a 4x4 road. There is also dirty turtle off road park across the river from madison. If you're looking for good ovlersnding trails to camp on, look into "Kentucky adventure trail".

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I'd look into Land Between the Lakes. It's not too far of a hike from Southern Indiana. Bunch of trails and a bunch of places to explore and tons of Established campgrounds and dispersed camping sites. I went with my Stock TRD-OR Tacoma back in June. Had no issues and never had to use 4LO. It was still fairly muddy in some areas too.

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I'd look into Land Between the Lakes. It's not too far of a hike from Southern Indiana. Bunch of trails and a bunch of places to explore and tons of Established campgrounds and dispersed camping sites. I went with my Stock TRD-OR Tacoma back in June. Had no issues and never had to use 4LO. It was still fairly muddy in some areas too.
Ill look at it too. Im sure my truck would be capable i'm probably over thinking it (which isnt always a bad thing lol). My fiance loves camping and so do the kids, shes more concerned about the offroading part which is why I wanted to start her off light.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Ill look at it too. Im sure my truck would be capable i'm probably over thinking it (which isnt always a bad thing lol). My fiance loves camping and so do the kids, shes more concerned about the offroading part which is why I wanted to start her off light.
I totally understand. My Wife was the same way before our week long trip into Michigan last month. I only did two days of trail running but it ended up being one of her favorite parts because of the sights. Now she knows what to expect so I'll increase the difficulty a bit more. The majority of LBL isn't too rough, just do you research and you'll be fine!

Reactions: operatorj

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I totally understand. My Wife was the same way before our week long trip into Michigan last month. I only did two days of trail running but it ended up being one of her favorite parts because of the sights. Now she knows what to expect so I'll increase the difficulty a bit more. The majority of LBL isn't too rough, just do you research and you'll be fine!
Thanks for your input. Cant wait for spring. I think in March or April we are going to do this for a weekend away from the kids ( 3 year old twins, 11 and 20 year old). The oldest wouold go anyways but the other 3 would on a later trip.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

The northern parts of the KAT are very doable with decent tires, no lockers. As you head down toward Laurel Lake there are a few nice campsites in the area. The Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway overlaps with the KAT at the northern end some as well but is generally a bit harder. I don't have lockers but segments would benefit from that and/or a winch. Lots of camping in the Red River Gorge area, pretty much all accessible on paved or basic gravel roads.

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Thanks for your input. Cant wait for spring. I think in March or April we are going to do this for a weekend away from the kids ( 3 year old twins, 11 and 20 year old). The oldest wouold go anyways but the other 3 would on a later trip.
You are very welcome. Since I’m in Ohio I’m pretty much limited to much of the same things you are. If you’re ever looking to get a group together for a ride I’d definitely be interested.

ROUGEONE

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Winchester, Indiana, United States
First Name
Bryon
Last Name
thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
You are very welcome. Since I’m in Ohio I’m pretty much limited to much of the same things you are. If you’re ever looking to get a group together for a ride I’d definitely be interested.
I am wanting to get a couple people to go up to drummond island to explore the trails for a weekend in Jan or Feb. And also another KAT tun in the late spring. Let me know if you might be interested

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I am wanting to get a couple people to go up to drummond island to explore the trails for a weekend in Jan or Feb. And also another KAT tun in the late spring. Let me know if you might be interested
Thanks for the invite. Jan is out for me due to lack of vacation time. I'll be putting my lift on in Jan as well. Feb I might be able to swing but I have a trip planned (assuming this craziness right now doesn't get worse) in Mid Feb. As for spring I'm planning a trip down to Cherokee NF/Smokey NP. Keep me updated because I am interested but just don't know what my schedule is like.

Reactions: ROUGEONE

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Might be interested in the KAT trip in the Spring. Keep me posted.