Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I like the size of the moon and the detail. You know there is a Lunar Eclipse and Blood Moon on Jan 31st. You should get some shots.
Thanks. I'll look into it, though I don't have this body / lens anymore. I was shooting a 400 mm with a 2x extender on a 5d rs (or sr) 50 megapixel camera which let me zoom in quite a bit without losing details. The other dot in the upper left is Jupiter. It's pixelated if you zoom in a lot but you can see the colors of the planet. It was a cool shot.

Sometimes white sands national park is open at night for special moons. I'll check. Great place for lunar or astro photography as there's minimal light pollution. Thanks for the reminder about Jan 31st.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I like the basecamp flag...I still need to make something like that to attach mine to...will be stealing that idea.
It is just a PVC sprinkler pipe with eye bolts placed in a electrical conduit holder at the rack to an existing hole in the stock rack of the Subaru. Works pretty well.

Reactions: NightCrawler

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Don't forget about the Lunar Eclipse this O'dark thirty in the AM pacific time.... starts about 3 ish AM of the 31st. Around 5ish should be the blood moon.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Don't forget about the Lunar Eclipse this O'dark thirty in the AM pacific time.... starts about 3 ish AM of the 31st. Around 5ish should be the blood moon.
I wanted to get out to capture it, but couldn't leave daughter alone to be able to go someplace with a decent view. :( hope others got some good shots to share.

tarouszars

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spanish Fork, Utah
Member #

I wanted to get out to capture it, but couldn't leave daughter alone to be able to go someplace with a decent view. :( hope others got some good shots to share.

The kids were excited about it. I’m glad we checked before waking them up early. Total cloud cover, no moon in sight.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Well I did get up today for the moon shots. I struggled with the focus constantly. So this is what I got.
( the progression shots are thumbnails below this pic)
1 Full Moon (1 of 1).jpg

2 Start of Eclipse (1 of 1).jpg 5 Full Full (1 of 1).jpg Leaving Full 2 (1 of 1).jpg Leaving Full 4 (1 of 1).jpg

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Well I did get up today for the moon shots. I struggled with the focus constantly. So this is what I got.
( the progression shots are thumbnails below this pic)
View attachment 46615

View attachment 46616 View attachment 46617 View attachment 46618 View attachment 46619
The third is my favorite. What gear were you using?

One of the harder things is tracking the moon across the sky.

Here's a supermoon lunar eclipse I got back in 2015.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The third is my favorite. What gear were you using?

One of the harder things is tracking the moon across the sky.

Here's a supermoon lunar eclipse I got back in 2015.

Thanks. I used a Canon EOS T3i with a 500mil Sigma lens (that I do believe is having issues), mounted on a tri-pod, Focused to infinity. Would adjust shutter speed and ISO depending on light needed. As for tracking the moon, that was a constant readjust through the two hours of the shoot. Afterwards, I cropped the photos to center them in the frame.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Thanks. I used a Canon EOS T3i with a 500mil Sigma lens (that I do believe is having issues), mounted on a tri-pod, Focused to infinity. Would adjust shutter speed and ISO depending on light needed. As for tracking the moon, that was a constant readjust through the two hours of the shoot. Afterwards, I cropped the photos to center them in the frame.
The higher the zoom the more adjustment for tracking. Haha. I have a tripod with a tracking head but I've never been able to use it. Frustrating. One day I will though.

Shooting lunar eclipse is hard but so fun and rewarding when you get a good shot or two. Wish I could have gone out this morning. Oh well.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

How do you like the sigma 500? What issues are you having?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
How do you like the sigma 500? What issues are you having?

I don't like it as much as my Sigma 18x300. I have no issues with the 300. The 150x500 has always been a struggle with focus. even when zoomed in. :sob: I read that several folk have experienced the same issue. Sigma now sells a 600mil version that I've read better reviews about. Maybe it's time to upgrade. LOL :sunglasses: