My storage trunks and suggestions to organize better?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I truck camp, usually 2 to 3 nights, usually within a half day drive of home. Often alone, sometimes with wife and dog. Vehicle is your standard 4x4 crew cab with 6' bed.

I keep my smaller camping gear in a couple storage trunks - one for camp kitchen and one for everything not camp kitchen - and makes it easy to grab and load up the truck and easy to store away again when back home. I generally know what is inside (or supposed to be inside) each trunk but unfortunately it is disorganized inside the trunk and I'd like to try and organize it a bit better. Here are a couple pics and list of some of the gear I keep inside.

First pic (from right to left):
  1. Rubbermaid ActionPacker 24 gal - keeps non-camp kitchen gear
  2. Plano Sportsman trunk 56 quart - camp kitchen
  3. The two boxes to the left are overflow storage when needed and usually get packed with food, dog stuff and any other gear that doesn't go on every trip.

Here's some of the stuff I keep packed away and take each trip:

ActionPacker (non-camp kitchen gear)
  • Slumberjack tarp, poles
  • a tent
  • extra stakes
  • propane bottles, white gas
  • toilet paper
  • hammocks
  • a cheap fabric crate that stuff gets tossed into
  • 2 basins for washing dishes
  • e-tool, headlamp, zipties, lighter/matches,
  • rope, multitool, paper towels, gloves
  • small tarp
  • other misc stuff

Sportsman trunk (camp kitchen)
  • cookset, plates, bowls, utensils
  • dish washing sponges, soap
  • coffee press
  • cutting boars
  • other misc junk not shown
  • aluminum foil, etc. bungied in the lid
  • sometimes toss a cast iron pan in here

Other stuff like big T4 tent, camp chairs, propane stove, water jugs get thrown in truck bed too.

Any suggestions for achieving somewhat better organization within the crates?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
thats a really good set up. the wife and i started off camping out of the back of my tundra and about the only difference was that i had gone with a dewalt rolling tool box as one of my totes. i would pull it out the bed of the truck and use it to cook and prep food on. the handle slides out and you can put a small piece of plywood on top of the handle as an extended shelf. this kept the stove off the ground and could be moved wherever was convenient. i also went with the 6qt plastic shoe boxes you can get at home depot, walmart, etc. for $2 a box. they are clear and have lids, so i would use these for all my silverware and untinsels in one, bars of soap and stuff in another, etc. we got good enough to hit location and pull out the totes we need and cook and do whatever and by the time it was time to sleep, the smaller totes just went back into the big tote and was ready to load

the action packers are really nice. we generally keep our clothes and towels and stuff like that in those because they seal really well and are very easy to move around and store. as we progressed, i built a decked system in the back of the tundra and that did away with the need for most of the totes, but we still use the action packers because they are well made and versatile.

you look like you have it very organized.

1723494688651.png 1723495102506.png

Last edited: