My MDX...

• HTML tutorial

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

After looking for a decent affordable 4x4 Truck I finally bought an Acura MDX in the end of August and this is my build journal. I don't expect it to be too exciting; I am useless with a wrench and have no place to build or do anything; and I have way more questions than answers. One question I have, is a hitch mount winch worth it? I have a 2" 500lbs receiver and I was thinking about getting a 2" hitch winch mount for the rear of the rig, are they any good?

Also will a Honda Pilot/Ridgeling bumper guard fit an MDX? and Should I put D rings in my tow points?

Short term plans are; Tires, 17" Wheels, Roof Racks, and a 7 pin trailer harness and break controller. I will post pictures when I can.
Cheers!
Oh and feel free to share addon suggestions.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So bought I bought it in August of 2020 a 2012 Acura MDX, the why's;
Biggest why is I couldn't find a suitable truck for the same price, or even with a few thousand in the same shape. In the end it was a 2009 Honda Ridgeline with 166k km and the MDX at 144k km. Both looked great body wise but the Ridgeline had an asking price of 14900+ dealer fees+ tire fees+ tax and the MDX was 14900+ -1000 + dealer fees + tax. After the numbers were run I had a really hard time paying almost $1700 more for an 09 with more km's. It all seemed a bit much, but the cruze was really on it's way out at 317k km and we needed a new car; which we discovered in October when I did the inspection on the cruze the tranny was slipping and the rack and pinion was broke. Another $1600 for the rack install, used, and no idea how long till the tranny would need replacing so it was a good thing we finally settled on something.
So pretty stock but this was what it was;
2.jpg
1.jpg
This was from our first trip, we went up to West Point PEI along some roads running along the west coast of the island. We started in Charlottetown on the highway and started detouring as we left Summerside towards West Point.
WestPoint.png

Reactions: RoarinRow

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Trip two was down in the East of the Island near Dromore; we were here before in the Cruze and enjoyed a 5km hike along the trails then travelled out through a series of dirt roads that were travelable with car in the Cruze. We returned in the MDX in the early fall and took to the harder roads and ended up at some dead ends; one with a nice camp site. The map says they are Campbells Road but I am not sure if they are part of the public road or not, there were no "No Trespassing", "Do Not Enter", nor any "Private Property Signs" so I guess it was fine. The roads were grass littered with rotten logs but was nothing difficult
Dromore1.png

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So Mods!
First Mod we actually took off the Cruze and added to the MDX; in March we got ourselves a Trail Dog to help improve the Cruzes offroad ability.
Here it is pre-installed on a coach;
1605497737737.png
And here installed in the MDX
1605497784271.png
The Trail Dog has been a big help; I wouldn't go on a trail without it.
Then was a Kuat bike rack
1605497396231.png
1605497513362.png
And TIRES!
1605497913723.png
1605497932716.png
Falken Wildpeak AT3 Winter Rated; I hope that means winter tire...
Admittedly I did no research. I goggled, good off road snow tires and All Terrain Winter Tires; the results were a myriad of tires and figures and things I didn't understand so; I went to Miller Tirecraft in Charlottetown and said; "I need winter tires for an MDX, and I go offroadish; not rock crawling but definitely snowy muddy and icy places." and they transformed my cash into these. I googled them after and found some good reviews and my initial impressions are the tires that came with it are useless; so a definite improvement. Hope they do well in the winter.
The final mod, and arguably the most important, MUD! As you can see I added lots of mud; unfortunately it didn't last long; between wet snow and rain it was all gone before I got home.
So with my new mods I went back to Dromore and followed High Bridge Road and Campbells Road again in the cold icy mud of November putting in a 3km hike. On the way home I hit Klondike Road and a number of other dirt roads I found in the area.
1605498482006.png
And just today we went out West Again for some exploration around Darlington and Hunter River
1605499387094.png
We started at Johnstons Rd to Clyde Rd, then a short jont down the Number 2 to Bertram Rd, I seen some ATVs going that way and decided to follow. Running up Bertram Rd to Mill Rd we seen a sign that said the bridge was out and we watched the ATV's head that way. Unfortunately the MDX didn't fit between the tree and the barricade like the ATV's so we started back when I noticed Perry Rd off Hazel Grove Rd, so we headed up there to Milvale Rd towards New London Rd where we headed to New Glasgow past PEI Preserves to Mt Tom Rd, then another Campbells Rd, back to Highway 13 where we headed home.
Most of it was dirt roads with some narrow cart track; lots of signs warning of horses.
Prior we did some exploring down N Road and around the cottage roads and wood roads in and around Big Boot Gun Club in both the MDX and the Cruze. I will say I was luck to be heading south in the Cruze I really don't think I would have made it going North up the grade.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

A Coworker of mine has a 2500lbs winch he would sell me, and I was looking on Amazon and found this
1605500210978.png
Winch Mount
Is something like this worth getting? My MDX is about 5500Lbs is 2500lbs going to be useful?
A MDX owner called Sothearith’shas the same year MDX and they put some bigger meats on the rims and added a Pilot Lift for some extra clearance. I was thinking about taking inspiration from this and copying the exact same thing.
Also; if a Pilot Lift will fit the MDX then will bush guards and bumper guards from the Pilot/Ridgeline also work on the MDX?
1605500506159.png
1605500548117.png
I am wondering if something like that would only be for looks or would it serve some purpose? Can you pull from it?
Also thinking about adding a roof basket and some recovery treads and if I get the 17" rims and tires for next summer, a jack and full size spare for in the basket; oh and a shovel, you never know when you will need to dig a hole to go number two in.
And if there is anyone from the Island that can suggest some trails and roads to travel let me know.

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Very interested to see what you do with this. I just no idea what is compatible for this model but looks like you’ll have to do all the research! Doubtful the winch would be any use at 2500lbs, could do a snatch block to get a mechanical advantage but eh. Good luck and those trips look fun!

Reactions: Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Very interested to see what you do with this. I just no idea what is compatible for this model but looks like you’ll have to do all the research! Doubtful the winch would be any use at 2500lbs, could do a snatch block to get a mechanical advantage but eh. Good luck and those trips look fun!
Well I thought I would get at least a haha with my "Trail Dog" install but I guess I'm just not that funny.

jwhughes3

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

The dog is definitely the best mod.
I agree a 2500# winch will not be very helpful, better $ spent on some traction boards you can strap to the roof.
The brush bar gives it an off road look, but you cannot pull from it and it adds weight and wind resistance cutting mpg and range so personally wouldn’t add it to my MDX.
I think the Falkens will be perfect for the trails you described.

Your MDX has a screw type tow hook back with the jack that can be screwed in front or back right corner to attach to if someone else is helping recover you. Use with slow, steady pulls not yanking pulls.
If you have the hitch, recover using that vs rear tow hook. It’s got more attachment points to spread load.
Run what you have and just get out and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Veinot