Forrest831

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Crandell
Hello, I'm Forrest, and I'm seeking some guidance on choosing a suitable first overland trip. I've explored numerous popular routes in northern California, but I've become slightly overwhelmed and discouraged by road closures and gated areas, which disrupted my previous trip plans. My entire group was disappointed when we encountered a locked gate. Therefore, I'm interested in hearing about the recent experiences of people who have traveled in northern California, specifically considering the current date, June 15th. Thank you very much for your help.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Forrest, Welcome. As Advtres asks, where to? NE Calif is less populated, Mendocino NF probably the largest block of land. Are you in 4x4 or ? How long a trip? Nevada is nice to explore. Check out Advtres youtube videos for ideas. Or check out my blog;

Forrest831

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Crandell
Hi genocache, As far as where in Cali I'm not super picky. I'm located in Santa Cruz so somewhere under a 6-hour drive would be nice but like I said I'm not married to that. I'm in an 04 Tacoma 4x4 with a rear locker, on stock height and 31s, For now :). I'd like to be gone for maybe 3-4 days, Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Wandering_Scotty

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Hello, I'm Forrest, and I'm seeking some guidance on choosing a suitable first overland trip. I've explored numerous popular routes in northern California, but I've become slightly overwhelmed and discouraged by road closures and gated areas, which disrupted my previous trip plans. My entire group was disappointed when we encountered a locked gate. Therefore, I'm interested in hearing about the recent experiences of people who have traveled in northern California, specifically considering the current date, June 15th. Thank you very much for your help.
Hey Forrest! I’m located close to you over the hill in San Jose, if you’re interested in going out on a trip together I’d be more then happy to show you some awesome spots just a few hours away. Or I’d be more then happy to share some tracks and POIs with you. Just let me know!

Reactions: Speric

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

OK, the Carrizo Plain can entertain for that time and has remote camping, check it out on GoooooooooogleEarth. Though it is South not North. As I said before Mendocino NF will get you off road, if you have never been there, Humbug Valley and up to Lava Beds NM via Mt Lassen or the Black Rock Desert.

Reactions: Speric and Advtres

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

Folsom, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

Hello Forest,

We have been on 4 trips in Northern California and Nevada. None of the trips went exactly as planned. Some were close, but you have to be prepaid for the unexpected. Have alternate routs planned, and even a second camping space if it is unknown. If capable, cary a chain saw and cut down what is in the way. Check routs on this app to see what has been commented. If you are going to a national forrest call the ranger station let them know what you are planning and ask how the roads are and what has been closed and the conditions.
Enjoy the ride.

Trd22Grnmachine

Rank III

Contributor III

Fairfield, Solano County, California, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Ces
Member #

Hey there Forrest,
My name is Danny,
I live in Fairfield area and just came back from a 4 day trip a week ago and do have a few trails off Hwy 395 Bridgeport / Bishop area that trails little tech but can be done.
I did them solo. Kinda nervous but it seemed right. I have an Instagram if you are interested in checking out my pictures and short clips.
My Instagram is:
trd22grnmachine
Please let me know what you think and message so I know it's you.

Thanks Danny

Attachments

Reactions: A Duffield

Trd22Grnmachine

Rank III

Contributor III

Fairfield, Solano County, California, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Ces
Member #

I usually go solo on my trips. My wife is not a fan and I’m more or a lone traveler which I think I need to expand a little. I do enjoy alone time but I have to adjust like I said. I joined this to see if someone out there can or be able to let me tag along to see more of what the land or areas have to offer. Let me know if this is something that you are interested in.
I live in Fairfield and willing to travel out. I just got back from Cerro Gordo/ Starwars / Darwin falls/ Death Valley a few week ago.
I just reached out to a member in Utah to see if he is available for my future trip in August.
He hasn’t replied but hoping he does because I would love to see all I can there when I head that direction. Ty for replying so quick.
Dan

Attachments