My experience with Overlanding vs Off-Roading: Is the barrier to entry for Overlanding LOWER?

• HTML tutorial

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Both can be done with stock vehicles. Maybe the barrier for entry in off-roading might be higher because you at least (usually) need a good 4x4, whereas you can "overland" in any vehicle.

I wheeled stock Jeeps with oversized AT tires on some really rough stuff for more than 10 years. Get out and go. You don't need much.

The barrier to entry for off-roading is the price of constant repairs and modifications, because enough car is never enough.
Good point. I forgot about always breaking and fixing stuff on my Jeeps. haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Long time lurkers. We joined to participate in this discussion FWIW. Anyway, we don't think the labels are useful. We came to overlanding / offroading after decades of hiking/climbing/backpacking. In that world the same debates rage about who's "really" doing the sport. Weekend backpackers vs technical climbers vs "through-hikers" who spend weeks or months on the trials at a time. Who cares? As long as you're doing what you enjoy and being a steward of the trails do whatever your budget and work/family responsibilities allow.

We've found it extremely similar with the overlanding/offroading culture. The "off-roading/wheeling" crowd, like the technical climbing crowd, are equipment and skill focused. The outdoors part is typically a secondary means to and end. The through-hikers are like the purist overlanders, the journey is the destination.

But the truth is, in both worlds, the vast majority of us are doing something in the middle and very much enjoying it.

The idea for us, transitioning from weekend/expedition backpacking to overlanding when our knees started to warn us, is always just to get outside and rustic camp in places not all can go, be self-sufficient and somewhat minimalist. Sometimes that means simply randomly driving out to where the cell phone stops working, base camping and spending the days driving and hiking various difficulty trails (eg Class IV or VI roads in NH or VT). Other times it means long drives on a mix of pavement, gravel and not too challenging forest or firetrail road and getting out to hike a waterfall or see a point of interest like an old forge or mill, a battlefield, or an abandoned ski lodge (the BDRs are great for that highly recommend).

As long as the constant is being together, being outside and relying on ourselves as much as possible, we don't care what it's called.
Well said! And before I started this post I believe that I thought the same way. Months later after having seen responses and reflected on the experience I believe 80% of the build would overlap between the two (what I call) ends of the spectrum. But where I initially posted this thinking my issue was with equipment and build path, I now also know that there were methods and tactics I failed to do when I got stuck. All that to say that maybe it’s not that the build is significantly different, but that I HAD to take some bumps and have a few scares to learn some crucial lessons.

But at the end of the day, I completely agree that there is no “right” or “real” Overlanding. We all enjoy different versions of adventure travel and that should unite us. All goes back to the OB motto: Outfit and Explore. There how and the rest, is up to us!

Reactions: DintDobbs