wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Our camping trips are typically only 1 to 3 nights and I use this 7-gallon water jug to service our drinking, cooking and cleaning needs. The spigot reverses so it stores inside the jug to keep it clean and out of the way during transport or storage. And since it can sit (empty and dry of course) for months or longer between trips I’ll sanitize the inside with an appropriate dilution of bleach before rinsing and filling it for a trip.

Curious of any potential issues with my setup? It’s not perfect as it occasionally leaks out the spigot or cap, but only a slow drip. It is my only water so aside from ice/water from a cooler we would be SOL if it ruptured from being dropped or a harsh trail ride.

2D2E1895-8349-4807-8D68-1872F722D8B2.jpeg

RubiVaughn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Nevada, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Vaughn
Member #

Wahoo

I’ve seen those containers at the stores Seems like a good setup

I run 2 - 2 gallon rotopax

The advantage is how compact and easy to store

The disadvantage is there is no spigot. You have to take the pour spout out and put back in. You risk contamination

Thanks for the thread post. I’m going to go sanitize them

Cheers

Reactions: SubeeBen

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I bought that same tote at Walmart last year and dropped it full of water and it dented in the corner, but never leaked. I like it and as cheap as it is, I can just replace it. I can buy quite a few of these for what a rotomax cost. I also just like using the gallon water jugs. Easy to move one around and i can use one to mix gatorade in or whatever. plus i can always put a gallon jug in the cooler...can't do that with a big tote.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

We use the 7 gallon jerry can style by reliance with the same spigot. It’s been great for our needs. I especially like that spigot is easy enough for my 3 year old to fill a cup with.

Reactions: genera_lee

Semonster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Segraves
Member #

I use a waterbrick or a pair of waterbricks depending on the length of the trip. I like them in that they are stable and can stack!

The negative is that the spigot attachment leaks a little and you have to tilt the brick a little to get water come out a decent rate once you are down to about 70% water or so.

Home - WaterBrick | Building Hope...Saving Lives!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
We use the same one but only use it for cooking and dashing. For drinking we bring bottle water. Not great for the environment but taste better than warm water.

TooGouda

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
G
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9JWL
I use 2 of these Scepter 10l guys and have been happy with them so far. I take only one for a short trip. They are super tough and don't leak as long as you get them closed up nice and snug.
rd_ScepterWaterJug10L-Tan.jpgrd_ScepterWaterJug10L-Tan.jpg

I also have a 1 gal rotopax that I got during the blemish sale for $15 and a 3L bladder for a backpack when I go out for day trips.
The bladder is nice to bring on long trips too though as I can hang it and use it like a kitchen faucet by squeezing the bite valve.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@wahoowad , I also use that same blue container, and it's been awesome. I've had it for a couple of years now and it's never leaked on me. I like the fact that it holds as much water as it does, and the fact that the spigot actually works surprising well, from a slow pour to a faster pour. I have no desire to replace mine at all, and I love trying new gear, but not in this case as it gets the job done well.

Reactions: wahoowad

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

We just had one of those blue 7 gallons jugs fail on us this year. It was probably 5-6 years old and lately got a lot of sun exposure. Got a big crack in the top by the handle and vent. As long as it was upright we were okay. I don’t know if bouncing around in the Jeep did it buy by the end of the trip there were more cracks. We could only fill about 3 gallons.

We replaced it with 2- 20l or 5 gallon Scepters like pictured above. They are great water jugs buy spendy. Every time we head out one of them goes with us.

Think I’ll bit the bullet and buy a few Scepter fuel can too.

Todd

Reactions: NickS

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I started out with that exact one and still have it actually. When I took the back seats out and built a deck in my jku I found that the gallon jugs fit perfect in the ‘basement’ so I just carry those for now until I can find the right sized water cell to fit into the desired space...
Here is an option, although fairly pricey, it kills 2 birds w one stone. Large volume water storage and filtration in one container. It’s made to be mounted, has a shower accessory, and a pour spout... made by Campsaver.

Reactions: Road

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I wanted a water container that would allow me to access water without removing it from my vehicle. It needed to be water tight and sturdy. With a family of 4, I also needed a good reserve in case we didn't find a water source for a couple of days.

I use the blue jug for water reserve and the tan jug with hand pump for our daily needs.

IMG_20190806_091722.jpgIMG_20190806_091902.jpg

TooGouda

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
G
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9JWL
I wanted a water container that would allow me to access water without removing it from my vehicle. It needed to be water tight and sturdy. With a family of 4, I also needed a good reserve in case we didn't find a water source for a couple of days.

I use the blue jug for water reserve and the tan jug with hand pump for our daily needs.

View attachment 111300View attachment 111301
did you just drill a hole in the cap on the sceptor to mount the hand pump? I was thinking of getting a spare cap to use to do someting similar. possible even attach a schrader valve to pressurize with a couple PSI to move the water using a simple valve style facuet or kitchen sprayer

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have been using the same 7 gallon reliance for 7 years w/o issues. I also have an LCI water can (like Sceptor) but I prefer the shape, size and ease of use of the Reliance. The LCI has better quality though. I also keep a 1-2 gallons for backup as well as a Sawyer water filter. I normally store the Reliance can in my 2nd row seat, fastened with the seatbelt. Easy access and separate from the rest of my cargo.

They also make a 4 Gallon version of the Reliance cans. Two or more of those would give peace of mind.... and they are stackable.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
did you just drill a hole in the cap on the sceptor to mount the hand pump? I was thinking of getting a spare cap to use to do someting similar. possible even attach a schrader valve to pressurize with a couple PSI to move the water using a simple valve style facuet or kitchen sprayer
I borrowed the idea from this place:

To install the pump I cut off the vent and spout from the cap, drilled a hole for the pump to pass through, made a rubber gasket to fit between pump and cap, sealed it all with food grade RTV and used stainless bolts and lock nut to hold it all together. A food grade hose runs from the pump to the bottom of the water can.

IMG_20190806_120521.jpg

I looked at building a pressurized system and one with an electric pump. In the end, I decided a basic hand pump was less trouble with fewer parts to maintain and fewer parts that could break. I have no doubt one of these military water cans could withstand a lot of air pressure.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
That pump setup is awesome. I’ve seen some others but this one is REALLY well done. Great project

Reactions: KonzaLander

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I really like these Scepter 10L size jugs. Looks perfect. I did notice they sell a spigot system that screws to the spout for those interested in a factory version, but the pump thing looks awesome. A quick google check shows lots of good options people have thunk up.

NickS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, WA
Member #

We just had one of those blue 7 gallons jugs fail on us this year. It was probably 5-6 years old and lately got a lot of sun exposure. Got a big crack in the top by the handle and vent. As long as it was upright we were okay. I don’t know if bouncing around in the Jeep did it buy by the end of the trip there were more cracks. We could only fill about 3 gallons.

We replaced it with 2- 20l or 5 gallon Scepters like pictured above. They are great water jugs buy spendy. Every time we head out one of them goes with us.

Think I’ll bit the bullet and buy a few Scepter fuel can too.

Todd

I too have one of their 5gal water cans and own one of their fuel cans as well.

I plan on buying one more of each next year.

Very good products.

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
I borrowed the idea from this place:

To install the pump I cut off the vent and spout from the cap, drilled a hole for the pump to pass through, made a rubber gasket to fit between pump and cap, sealed it all with food grade RTV and used stainless bolts and lock nut to hold it all together. A food grade hose runs from the pump to the bottom of the water can.

View attachment 111403

I looked at building a pressurized system and one with an electric pump. In the end, I decided a basic hand pump was less trouble with fewer parts to maintain and fewer parts that could break. I have no doubt one of these military water cans could withstand a lot of air pressure.
Thank you so much for posting this setup. I just put one together this afternoon for my truck. LOVE IT!

Reactions: KonzaLander