My “Bae” 71 VW bay window bus

• HTML tutorial

veewdave

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Burleson, TX
Member #

Well this is my build on the “Bae” window camper/MTB weekender!
I bought her from a VW tech who owned her for about 20yrs and driver her every day as a daily. The interior was straight out of the 70’s with full shag carpet and all!! Pretty freakin gross but hey it’s how they’re supposed to be right?!! Anyway I’ve done quite a bit of work to her and obviously a LOT more to come!

Attachments

veewdave

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Burleson, TX
Member #

Installed some camper windows to keep it nice a cool inside, and had my buddy letter the outside so I could do a little mobile advertising too! Hey! “It’s a tax write off right?” Lol

Attachments

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Well this is my build on the “Bae” window camper/MTB weekender!
I bought her from a VW tech who owned her for about 20yrs and driver her every day as a daily. The interior was straight out of the 70’s with full shag carpet and all!! Pretty freakin gross but hey it’s how they’re supposed to be right?!! Anyway I’ve done quite a bit of work to her and obviously a LOT more to come!
I drove a 1970 westy all through high school into my 20's, I miss that thing! Later in life I grabbed a 1965 11 window kombi. All I have left of my vw days are awesome memories and a handful of pictures...

I took that thing everywhere, and I'll tell you what, they do extraordinarily good offroad! With cheap street tires and 1776cc motor that thing boogied on and offroad. Like crazy good offroad. It was weird now that I think about it... I tried to get on the hill I'm on in the pictures in an old 4x4 and actually couldn't.

Best build ever!

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

The interior was a total custom build using a factory Westfalia Z-Bed and table
Love this! I pulled the hardware off an old Z bed and built a bed in my 65. I didn't feel like I'd need the cabinet space so I went wall to wall with it. The extra IDK, 12"? Made a nice difference... I wasn't really gonna camp in it much so it made sense.

Man, I'm pinning for another bus!

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: veewdave

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
BAE in Danish means "poop". Just saying! :tonguewink:

Love the bus!

JustJake

Rank 0

Traveler I

This is great. The letters turned out amazing. I have always had a soft spot for the VW bus. Porsche motor? Subaru motor? Super Beetle motor? So many fun options.