Mountain biking

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Kennesaw, GA, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hamil
Problem is the bike shortage in stores has people selling the used bikes at a premium. Some people think they’re like Jeeps where they add a few things and can sell over msrp even though it’s used lol. But agreed, used market is the way to go right now as stores aren’t making many deals right now.
I was at the shop (Sixes Pit ask for my boys Buli, Emmett, Dave or Bobby) and one of the other employees was on the phone telling a customer that you can only get Boutique bikes at the moment and there sold before they hit there sites. So you just have to watch like a hawk.

Yes people have been jacking up the price even on used bikes. But there are still some good deals on PB. Just take your time, Contact the seller. DO NOT JUMP INTO ANYTHING! You will regret it.

Contributor I

Kennesaw, GA, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hamil
Yep!! I see that a lot! Whats worse are the folks that buy the bikes with the only intention of re-selling it at a higher price!! They replace some pedals with flats and maybe some other small item and think it adds 1k to the bike! LOL!!
Miami has lots of people with money to throw around so i see why. When im down there and see Yeti SBs riding around South Beach im like REALLY!! Really???

Reactions: Lil Bear
U

UgotWheelz

I wont ride anything I did not design, manufacture, or build myself unless under protest. Right now all I have is the one I got for my mom to ride in early stages of her ALZ. it is a functional machine but all I think about when I ride it are all the design flaws and things it is not suited to do that my own designs are. So I am living the bike life vicariously through the internet now.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I have a mountain bike but when we go out camping etc gravel biking is about aggressive as I can get my wife into lol. Some recent photos from our visit to pisgah and dupont forest in NC.

Attachments

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Only managed ~2000 miles of singetrack this year so far and its not looking good for breaking the 2500mile goal I had set. But, winter is arriving and soon it will be snow rides and ice beards!

Reactions: EBasil
U

UgotWheelz

I was a full-time caregiver for my parent with a healthy from 2013 to February 2021 I only got maybe three rides and during that time however I haven’t really done much riding at all since she passed away I can’t seem to motivate myself to get on the bike which I don’t really like the one I have or to build something nicer so I say any mileage is good mileage as long as you’re getting out there and turn the Cranks!

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

I was a full-time caregiver for my parent with a healthy from 2013 to February 2021 I only got maybe three rides and during that time however I haven’t really done much riding at all since she passed away I can’t seem to motivate myself to get on the bike which I don’t really like the one I have or to build something nicer so I say any mileage is good mileage as long as you’re getting out there and turn the Cranks!
Sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe as time goes by you will regain some of your desire to ride again. Bike tech and overall design has come further since 2013 to now than maybe it has since the inception of MTB to 2013! If you get back into it, try out something newer, like 2019+ and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe as time goes by you will regain some of your desire to ride again. Bike tech and overall design has come further since 2013 to now than maybe it has since the inception of MTB to 2013! If you get back into it, try out something newer, like 2019+ and see how you like it.
My Verve blows away what I would have called a MTB in 1997… I can’t believe I used to race that thing down hill.

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Just placed an order to two rocky mountain fusions for my son and I. It's my first new bike since 1994. I still have that one. A completely rebuilt Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS comp. got manitou sx Ti forks. XTR everything and new wheels. The new bikes will be quite a change for me.
I love a nice, well cared for 90s MTB. I don't think spec made an alloy frame rockhopper until 1996, though. Let's see some pics! I miss my Manitou SX-R.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

Hi guys, yes mountain biking is awesome so many good things about it. Just wanted to chime in and let people know that don't know, a great place to purchase used mountain bike/E mtb is pinkbike.com I actually have two bikes up for sale one traditional and one Ebike I'll post a pic of them below as well as links. One thing I can say is that these bikes can get very expensive as some of you know. The green/black Levo I'm keeping :smile: The two bikes for sale are exceptional builds, the S-WORKS was custom built about 6 yrs ago Kenevo was last yr. Both bikes are in excellent shape.

IMG_1330.jpegIMG_0612.jpegIMG_1348.jpeg

Specialized S-WORKS 29er Enduro

Specialized Kenevo Emtb

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I love a nice, well cared for 90s MTB. I don't think spec made an alloy frame rockhopper until 1996, though. Let's see some pics! I miss my Manitou SX-R.
1994 was their first year of A1 rockhoppers. I bought that one, cracked the headtube and they made a new gusset the next year on the frame which I was given to replace my broken one.

20170415_171517057_iOS.jpg

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Since gas is gone MENTAL here to the tune of 1.75 a liter, I have on the way a new radwagon from Rad Power Bikes. It will be my going to the store bike and getting to my part time job until the summer hits where I can start building again and travelling with the family. Really good bike from what I have been reading.

dwb133

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fenwick Island, De
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barry
Member #

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
That really depends on what type of MBing you want to do. Easy almost flat trails a Walmart bike would work for awhile. But if you want to step it up for some downhills and rougher terrain you need to step the bike up.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
That really depends on what type of MBing you want to do. Easy almost flat trails a Walmart bike would work for awhile. But if you want to step it up for some downhills and rougher terrain you need to step the bike up.
I would say go to a reputable bicycle store and buy a lower end model from there. It will be more expensive, but well worth the extra money. As an owner of a "big box bike" I can tell you it's a heavy sled with junky suspension and crappy parts. The frame is decent, being mostly aluminum, but everything else is disposable. There is a website for bikes like this and you can make them into fun projects. But in the long run it would be cheaper to get a good quality bike in the beginning.

Here is my boat anchor. Ha ha. My goal with this crate is to make it as light as I can using inexpensive parts, and make the suspension functional. More for fun of the build than anything. I also have in my posession the first "real MTN bike" I owned. I had one previous to the CCM but it never even had cantilever brakes "I welded them on later". The CCM has a tange cro-mo steel frame, decent frame and lightweight, but again, the parts on it are somewhat lacking. I need to figure out how to mount a modern derailleur on it as the one now has a claw that mounts on the axle.

20170415_171951927_iOS.jpg

20160801_171529833_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

velojym

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alabama
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Caron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LBP
Since gas is gone MENTAL here to the tune of 1.75 a liter, I have on the way a new radwagon from Rad Power Bikes. It will be my going to the store bike and getting to my part time job until the summer hits where I can start building again and travelling with the family. Really good bike from what I have been reading.
My wife and I rented a couple RadRovers when we were in Colorado this past June. Though we're both well over average rider weights, they did fine, getting us into Pagosa, around town and up the hill, and back to the house with a surprising amount of charge left. I'm not in a spot where I'd bother purchasing an ebike right now, preferring my lighter/simpler bikes, but if in a spot where it'd be a good car replacement I'd sure consider it. I'm ashamed that I didn't get any better photos.

Attachments

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

I am collecting parts for a new Ti hardtail build. I have a Salsa Timberjack Ti for all around trail riding, so this will be a slacked out "party hardtail" with a 65° HT and 150mm fork. Should be super fun in the rough stuff and I should have everything but the brakes and maybe the hubs before the end of the year. Brakes have been pushed back to February by Hope.

Doing some tire clearance fit checks with other wheels

Sweet Ohlins Goodness

Last edited:

the_great_white

Rank II

Enthusiast III

West Georgia
First Name
TGW
Last Name
TGW
I am collecting parts for a new Ti hardtail build. I have a Salsa Timberjack Ti for all around trail riding, so this will be a slacked out "party hardtail" with a 65° HT and 150mm fork. Should be super fun in the rough stuff and I should have everything but the brakes and maybe the hubs before the end of the year. Brakes have been pushed back to February by Hope.

150 is a pretty good stroke on a HT! Nice looking rig!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My wife and I rented a couple RadRovers when we were in Colorado this past June. Though we're both well over average rider weights, they did fine, getting us into Pagosa, around town and up the hill, and back to the house with a surprising amount of charge left. I'm not in a spot where I'd bother purchasing an ebike right now, preferring my lighter/simpler bikes, but if in a spot where it'd be a good car replacement I'd sure consider it. I'm ashamed that I didn't get any better photos.
Awesome. I never got mine after. But I am hoping to get it next year

Reactions: HighVoltOverland