Hbsurfdad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Miethke
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Has anybody used a folding motorcycle ramp (in 2 pieces) as a sand ladder? Any potential risks? I see this as a desert only application where the ramp just keeps the vehicle from sinking, and rescue from sand traps. Same basic shape and size as the fancy real ladders.

4x4 sprinter not built out if that has an impact.

Thanks for any feedback.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Aluminum? Rungs or tread plate? My only first thought is the possibility of a tire puncture from the metal.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The junky flat bent steel sheet ones will work.

The nice arched 12' long aluminum spider ramps, will fold up.

Basically any decent motorcycle ramp would be destroyed. While the worthless cheap ones nobody uses, might be ok. But heavy, very heavy.

Reactions: Hbsurfdad

Hbsurfdad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Miethke
The ramps i have are ladder type that split will be about 40 inches long.

They are already along for the ride, just wondered if they could serve two purposes.

Thanks for the feedback.

trackside_heavy_duty_wide_aluminum_folding_ramp8_750x750.jpg

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Funny you asked. Years ago, while out riding, I came upon a 2wd (open diff) truck with a dirt bike in the back, stuck in the sand. I suggested he used his folding ramp. We dug a bit & place the ramp under the rear tire & he gently drove out! The ramp still folded afterward but owner reported "not as smoothly". So I wouldn't use it as my go to gear, but in an emergency, it may work well.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The ramps you pictured will work. You will just want to make sure that they aren't bridging much of a gap. Most MC ramps are rated for about 1K lbs which will do OK simply spreading out the load of one tire.

Reactions: Hbsurfdad

Enthusiast I

Seaside Heights, NJ, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Wildman
I always carry sand ladders when on the beach, I’ve never used them once. It’s a requirement to have to be “legal” to rescue yourself , in addition to a shovel. Yank-um straps and winches work way better than digging