Most ridiculous piece of gear

• HTML tutorial

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

IMG_0057.JPG We all have been there, perusing the internet, wandering through the store, or even looking at catalogs, and you end up getting overly excited for a piece of gear. You spring for it and there you are, stuck with something you likely won't use.

What is that one goofy item you bought that you were convinced you'd use but is now just collecting dust?

Mine is definitely the Kungfoon for all that Chinese takeout in the backwoods!

Attachments

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

View attachment 36511 We all have been there, perusing the internet, wandering through the store, or even looking at catalogs, and you end up getting overly excited for a piece of gear. You spring for it and there you are, stuck with something you likely won't use.

What is that one goofy item you bought that you were convinced you'd use but is now just collecting dust?

Omg...that is funny...i didn't know that thing even was on the planet until I saw yours. Ok...no regifting that thing...looks like a spork with its own rabbit ear antennas.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Years ago I just had to have one of these, it really never worked.
View attachment 36591
Gary I had one of those on my list of things to buy at one point as well. I bought this instead...

If I remember correctly it is supposedly an antique Belgian(?) military lighter. The area with the wick comes out so if you are in need of a candle you could use it as such. Other than right after purchase, it has remained unused. Although I doubt it's authenticity and functionality it is kind of cool. I have learned over the years that whiskey and eBay are not good bedfellows.

lighter.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Gary Stevens

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
View attachment 36511 We all have been there, perusing the internet, wandering through the store, or even looking at catalogs, and you end up getting overly excited for a piece of gear. You spring for it and there you are, stuck with something you likely won't use.

That is an great eating utensil.

Yumafolks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma Az
Member #

We picked up the Colman 12 cup coffee pot that sits on the burner of the stove. Makes great coffee but dang it takes up so much room we only take it on trips with the toy hauler just so we can say we didn't waste money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

We picked up the Colman 12 cup coffee pot that sits on the burner of the stove. Makes great coffee but dang it takes up so much room we only take it on trips with the toy hauler just so we can say we didn't waste money on it.

Donate it. So somebody like me can also purchase this device, use it, over bundle it to protect the fragile glass carafe, realize that it takes up more space than the bedding, and then shelf it.

After it builds up a bit more of "petina" in the garage, it will also be donated again. Thus continuing the cycle of buying awesome, but hopelessly impractical gizmos.

Also a decently cheap double walled stainless steel French press is more durable, takes up less space, and makes an awesome and fuss free cup of coffee. And because it has the double wall, stays warm on cold mornings. : thumbs up:

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I bought this gadget for making coffee in a Nalgene then gave up and started drinking instant.

Going the instant coffee route, they make instant coffee bags. They brew like tea, so comes out decent, vs dehydrated. Probably one of the simplest and convenient ways for a decent brew without any contraptions. The Folgers brand is easier to find in grocery stores, but I've seen other coffee roasters of them online.

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app

Wilkes704

Rank III

Advocate II

My favorite coffeemaker is just a little Aeropress. It's quick, takes up little space, and makes the best damn cup of coffee. I always take mine when I go back packing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Picked up one of these for making s'mores. Turned out to be one of those things that's a great idea on paper, but not so much in the real world. Promptly threw it in the trash when I got home.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I had to have titanium silverware and pots and pans. Granted this was back in my backpacking days but I saved a few ounces on that but I wouldn't blink twice at the 15lbs of camera equipment I would drag up the mountain.