DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@LivForNov do you know any information about the motorized camping sites?

I recieved some maps and info from the Forest service, but I didn't get one showing the campsites.

Their website says they have the motorized campsites. Rothrock and Bald Eagle both sent me maps with the campsites, but Moshannan did not.

Curious if you had any first hand knowledge before I shot them another email.

Thank you.

Reactions: Dusther210

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
@LivForNov do you know any information about the motorized camping sites?

I recieved some maps and info from the Forest service, but I didn't get one showing the campsites.

Their website says they have the motorized campsites. Rothrock and Bald Eagle both sent me maps with the campsites, but Moshannan did not.

Curious if you had any first hand knowledge before I shot them another email.

Thank you.
As far as I know the only primitive camping allowed is backpacking. The motorized camping is limited to Black Moshannon, SB Elliot, and Parker Dam State Parks.

LivForNov

Rank I

Enthusiast I

PA
There are many campsites designated for motorized camping in the Moshannon State Forest. You have SB Elliot and Parker Dam, but there are also close to a dozen along Medix Run, others on Shaggers Inn and I am sure there are others I am not aware of. Also, you do not have to camp in a designated spot. You can select your own location as long as you follow the regs ( http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_007035.pdf ). Whatever direction you take, you still have to contact the park office -> 814.765.0821 and go over your plans to get a permit. They are great and will point you in the right direction.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the reply. I figured such, but just found it odd the other Forests replied with the camping regulations and the spots. I did notice the Shaggers inn on one of the maps they sent. Wasn't sure what it was.

I have camped at Parker Dam before.

Man, I really wish I had known about the primitive camping in the forests when I was younger.

I sure do hope to get alot of time to enjoy it now with my son, my best memories are from the outdoors and I am doing my best to give him many to choose from.

Thanks again.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@LivForNov I went back through the info they sent me.

I passed over the Quehanna trail map they sent...but now I see why it is important.

I found the motorized camping sites you spoke of.
20200206_152916.jpg

So this will be an area I check out. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the info.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got a chance to check out the info.

Medix Run was all that was covered although they sent another map with a few more spots.

Was hoping to get up here this weekend. Black Moshannan State Park was having their winter blast. But, all the snow is gone and the temps are to be in the single digits this weekend.

Maybe another weekend.
20200211_143946.jpg20200211_143935.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Since we are not allowed to camp right now (our firsr trip of regular camping season was this weekend) I decided to spend some time hiking this weekend.

Over the 3 day weekend I got in about 15 miles.

But my favorite excursion was finally taking advantage of the newest section of Moshannon State Forrest. It was even more welcome as it does not allow camping (watershed area).

Was a great time with nature and no people.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So. I sold a furnace and oil tanks to a family from Pennfield. I thought I would do a good deed and delivered them. That got me north of Clearfield and on the way back, I drove into Parker Dam State Park and headed into the Forest.

I got a few roads under my tires. Got to See some of the campsites.

There was alot of wildlife.

As compared to Bald Eagle, which showed very little wildlife and I felt I was the only person in the forest, here there were too many people, but an equal amount of wildlife to see.

This is a very popular fishing area. Lots of family cabins also.

Can not wait to get some more dirt on the tires here .