Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Here we go again, helping the Mojave National Preserve with our Trail Guardian Program. NPS has come up with two projects that we can get done in one weekend. our base camp will once again be Thomas Place/Ranch.

Two projects for this event;
  • Thursday-Sunday continue to work on dispersed camping locations, with the emphasis of adding a short GPX track to show the entry to the site. This project will be done over the course of four days. The exact number of rigs for this project is still up in the air but I would count on 30-40.
  • Saturday, help NPS rehab an old ranch structure within the York Fire burn scar. This could include removal of non historic material, Bob Brann will be lead on this project working with the the NPS Natural Scientist. We will need about 20 members on this project.
I am hopping by getting the dates out early those that want to attend can put it on their schedule, and it will help with attrition before the event.

The Rally Points will come out the first week of September.

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
Here we go again, helping the Mojave National Preserve with our Trail Guardian Program. NPS has come up with two projects that we can get done in one weekend. our base camp will once again be Thomas Place/Ranch.

Two projects for this event;
  • Thursday-Sunday continue to work on dispersed camping locations, with the emphasis of adding a short GPX track to show the entry to the site. This project will be done over the course of four days. The exact number of rigs for this project is still up in the air but I would count on 30-40.
  • Saturday, help NPS rehab an old ranch structure within the York Fire burn scar. This could include removal of non historic material, Bob Brann will be lead on this project working with the the NPS Natural Scientist. We will need about 20 members on this project.
I am hopping by getting the dates out early those that want to attend can put it on their schedule, and it will help with attrition before the event.

The Rally Points will come out the first week of September.
Kent, ready to go and help lead. Thanks for keeping the comms going

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have a major problem with this Rally Point for the GPX files. I just got a call from Ondrej who advised that NPS in Washington has issued a rule that all surveys must go through a 6-9 month vetting/approval prior to being done. This new rule will affect all projects in every National Park in the US regardless of what the survey is for, including the planting of Joshua Trees.

We are scrambling to get at least two projects to replace this one, but they are not set yet. Two things that are being proposed are;
  • To drive the Mojave Road and document all the tracks that weave off the main trail and identify all turnouts so that they can either make them bigger or add more to eliminate the weaving tracks. This would still be a multi-day event with at least three teams. I would envision each team hopscotching their way along a section of the road. Probably three groups of five or six rigs.
  • To walk some of the hiking trails and identify areas that need signage or fixing. This would be done with waypoints and handled with Ondrej on a one to one basis. There have been reports of new trails being used that should not be.

We definitely need people to help Bob out on the ranch cleanup. This is an important one to NPS and both the natural scientist and archaeologist will be present during the cleanup.

This Rally Point has been canceled, here are the links to the two new ones. If you’re willing, please RSVP to Bob's Rally Point for the cleanup.

US West - Mojave Road GPS/GIS mapping, October 24-27
Drive the Mojave Road and document all the tracks that weave off the main trail and identify all turnouts so that they can either make them bigger or add more to eliminate the weaving tracks. This would still be a multi-day event with at least three teams. I would envision each team...
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
US West - Mojave Trail Guardian, Hike Specific trails to map trail markers and illegal routs.
Hiking popular hiking trails and gps mapping current trail markers. Also GPS mapping where we should place new trail makers. View Rally Point
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
US West - Mojave Trail Guardian, Kousch Cabin Post Fire Cleanup. October 25-27
Work with the park Natural Scientist to remove burned material from a historic site within the York Fire footprint. View Rally Point
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com