Minnesota Greetings

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Disclaimer: I like writing.

Short Story:
I currently reside in Anoka, MN.
Rigs - 2006 Subaru Forester 4EAT (stock) | 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Custom
I enjoy photography, motorcycles, backpacking, and driving.

Long Story:
Thomas here. I crew up in central Minnesota in small town backcountry. Wanderlust has always been ingrained in me, but unfortunately i have never had many opportunities to travel aside from a couple family road trips throughout my life and a trip to Guatemala to give my grandpa a hand in his charity organization he founded down there.
It has been a dream of mine to drop everything and start train hopping, but being stuck under student debt has held that back from happening. Eventually I got involved with motorcycles and bought my first which was an 79 XS1100 that i stripped completely and rebuilt it in a way that i loved, and then my new dream became traveling the country on my motorcycle. That dream faded when i discovered that my bike was too unreliable. I sold that one along with my car, and bought an 06 Forester with the intentions of using it to road trip (at that time i did not know overlanding was a term or lifestyle). I also bought another motorcycle with intentions of using it to travel, but now that I'm getting married this year and my girlfriend likes to travel too, motorcycling around the country seems less doable right now. I've been researching more on what to do with my stock Forester to make it worthy of Overlanding which happens to be how i found Jake Wettern's YT channel, which then led me to this group because of one of his recent videos.

Anyways, that's a significantly summarized version of my backstory. I don't have many photos of my Forester yet, but if you google a black 06 forester, well then there you go. But here are the bikes I have made.
Thomas

Reactions: Tinker and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Short Story:

Long Story:
Thomas here. I crew up in central Minnesota in small town backcountry. Wanderlust has always been ingrained in me, but unfortunately i have never had many opportunities to travel aside from a couple family road trips throughout my life and a trip to Guatemala to give my grandpa a hand in his charity organization he founded down there.
It has been a dream of mine to drop everything and start train hopping, but being stuck under student debt has held that back from happening. Eventually I got involved with motorcycles and bought my first which was an 79 XS1100 that i stripped completely and rebuilt it in a way that i loved, and then my new dream became traveling the country on my motorcycle. That dream faded when i discovered that my bike was too unreliable. I sold that one along with my car, and bought an 06 Forester with the intentions of using it to road trip (at that time i did not know overlanding was a term or lifestyle). I also bought another motorcycle with intentions of using it to travel, but now that I'm getting married this year and my girlfriend likes to travel too, motorcycling around the country seems less doable right now. I've been researching more on what to do with my stock Forester to make it worthy of Overlanding which happens to be how i found Jake Wettern's YT channel, which then led me to this group because of one of his recent videos.

Anyways, that's a significantly summarized version of my backstory. I don't have many photos of my Forester yet, but if you google a black 06 forester, well then there you go. But here are the bikes I have made.
Thomas

Hello Thomas and welcome to the OB crew. ...great looking bikes and look forward to seeing your adventures

Reactions: Thomas Perowitz

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Short Story:

Long Story:

Thomas

Hi Thomas and welcome to OB! Nice looking rigs! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Welcome! Nice bikes, that bike on a bike photo is great :smiley:

The Forester's a solid choice to start building off from. There are a couple of cool builds here on the forums that should be a good resource, not to mention all the parts Subaru's share across their different models... so much to choose from!

And if you want to drool over tons of wagons transformed into mean looking offroaders then check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlewagon/top/?sort=top&t=year

Traveler I

Welcome! Nice bikes, that bike on a bike photo is great :smiley:

The Forester's a solid choice to start building off from. There are a couple of cool builds here on the forums that should be a good resource, not to mention all the parts Subaru's share across their different models... so much to choose from!

And if you want to drool over tons of wagons transformed into mean looking offroaders then check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlewagon/top/?sort=top&t=year
Thank you! I have a love for bikes of all kinds. I love foresters too. I noticed they are kind of the minority when it comes to overlanding, as people prefer toyotas and jeeps, but i have discovered a really nice niche of people with lovely foresters. My short term plans for my forester is to get a 2" lift for it and some A/T tires for it. I don't know how long the car is going to last though because its at 160k and the previous owner didn't take care of it all to well and it has a lemon auto tranny that likes to shift hard as a rock in temps below 40 F. Either way, my next car will be a 2013+ forester because i have developed a passion for subaru.
Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Tinker

Traveler I

Hello Thomas and welcome to the OB crew. ...great looking bikes and look forward to seeing your adventures
Thank you! I have a couple trips already planned for this year. One being a two week trip out to moab/L.A./Grand Canyon/Phoenix, and others to some really pretty state parks. I'll be bringing my camera gear to get some awesome photos. :)

Reactions: Chadlyb

JustJake

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello Thomas! I am new to OB and my current rig is a 2006 Subie Outback. I live just west of the cities. We just moved back to MN from out west. I have to get reacquainted to all that MN has to offer in the outdoor adventures.