Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Howdy Gang.

I finally took the plunge and joined the forum after hanging out and reading/learning for a bit. Specifically joined because I just started an automotive adventure with a 2000 Land Cruiser so that my wife and I could have, well, adventures.

A little background: I’ve been intermittently working on a variety of cars, snowmobiles, small engines, and boats, first with my dad and then on my own through the years. I grew up in Michigan and my first major project was a beat up Jeep Wrangler that my dad and I rebuilt and modded at lot in our garage. We’d go wander around trails in Northern Michigan and I fell in love with working on all things mechanical and also going out and exploring uncharted territory. My now wife and I would take that Jeep around the woods when we first started dating and discovered many magical and serene places. We’ve since become avid in many different outdoor activities, but national park trips and backcountry hiking have become a major staple of ours. We've used some pretty off-road incapable sedans as base camp before, including this trip to Bryce Canyon, Utah:

IMG_20180611_162100.jpeg

I’ve had too many cars to count over the years, primarily Audis and a couple other Germans. I get the itch for something new every year or two. I’ve always been drawn to cars that offer practicality while still being rare or unique. One of my personal favorites in this category was an Audi Allroad that went on some pretty deep off-road excursions during our time together. Google “Offroad Allroad” sometime and you’ll find a really different build thread; not mine, but I wanted it to be for many years. Since that Allroad, we’ve always had a wagon in the fleet, currently represented by a Volvo V90 Cross Country, which has been the “adventure-mobile” up until this purchase.

IMG_1494.JPG

So how does one go from that history to a 3-ton Lexus SUV? Well, we took a trip to Maui late last year and rented a lifted Tacoma with a rooftop tent to do some mini-overlanding around the entire island. We took it to some pretty amazing unmapped locations that we couldn’t have dreamed of with a generic rental car. It made me realize how badly I wanted a real off-road vehicle that I could build back on the mainland. I thought about various options and was originally pretty interested in a Tacoma to have the practicality of a pickup and the reliability of a Toyota. But it doesn’t meet my “unique” criteria; I mean there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. So I kept digging and of course fell deep into the rabbit-hole of the Toyota Land Cruiser. Perfect combination of capable, Toyota reliable, long-haul comfort/luxury, and most of all, fairly rare.

Exploring Maui:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4e01.jpg

Shockingly, when I mentioned scratching the time-for-a-new-car itch to my wife, she said yes without even too much of a sales pitch. That’s because the premise was to find a Land Cruiser to slowly build for overlanding to augment our hiking/camping habit. I wasn’t looking for anything special or in amazing condition, but something that had good bones and hopefully at least decent maintenance history. Okay, so what I found isn't technically and Land Cruiser, it's a 2000 Lexus LX470...same thing but with 4 kind of ugly headlights. Turns out they're more plentiful and therefore often cheaper. They also have detailed Lexus service records on every vehicle searchable online by the VIN which was super helpful. The car we ultimately ended up with was listed by a small used-car dealer in Cleveland:

2000_lexus_lx_470-pic-4135587032001135817-1024x768.jpeg

Except that it isn’t really from Cleveland, and so the story gets a little more interesting. I found it online from as one of the cheapest ones for sale, especially considering the mileage. Not much info in the listing, the pictures were pretty crappy. But after talking to the guy, he said he picked it up in South Carolina from the original owner who was a family member’s neighbor. He came across the car while he was down visiting his family and planned to bring it back to Cleveland to sell. Except with the pandemic, he got stuck down there and couldn’t really get it advertised well. We texted and he sent me lots of pictures and it was so much cleaner than I would have anticipated for the year, mileage, and price. I confirmed using the Lexus dealer records that it was a FL then SC car its whole life and was dealer maintained up until 3 years and 9k miles ago. Carfax also suggested what he was telling me added up. I put a deposit down and he eventually got it back to Ohio where I bought it off him. One thing to stick to when searching online for a vehicle: don’t assume anything about a car without digging a bit deeper, as there are some real deals to be had out there. What I thought would be a mediocre Ohio rust-belt car, turned out to be a one-owner impeccably-maintained gem from the South just because I asked for more info.

With that, meet “The Rock” the newest member of the family fleet. She’s got 181k miles. Completely OEM minus some janky satellite radio wiring coming down the passenger A-pillar. That last dealer visit was for the “180,000 mile service” which is such a hilarious concept for most any vehicle, but not a Toyota like this. Timing belt and water pump done at that service, fluids and all other maintenance done regularly. Thank God for the new dealer timing belt and pump, as I’ve had two of them go in my Audis and bent valves both times. One of those incidents spelled the end for that Allroad I’m so sentimental about.

The Rock arrives home:
IMG_0836 copy.jpg

Initial plans are to baseline the car and drive it as is for a bit. It’s got brand new Michelin Defender LTX tires, which although boring are worth a good bit of coin, so I can’t justify getting rid of them yet. Almost makes me mad, given that I really want to put a good set of 33s on it (I’ve read plenty of threads, still deciding on KO2s vs something else). After that, I’ll starting building a “go bag,” which will really be a med kit, toolkit, some spare parts, and some simple recovery gear for some mild adventures. I'm both somewhat mechanically inclined and also work in healthcare with a special interest in Wilderness Medicine, so these human and vehicle first aid kits will be almost as important as anything else.

Once I get the itch to do more, I’ll probably start with a rooftop tent or in-car sleeping setup +/- a new roof rack. HID upgrade will be a must; I consider that a safety upgrade in addition to just being cool. I have some younger family members in town that I hope to get interested in turning wrenches with some of these projects as well. It might stay mild, it might get wild. Who knows. No real plans to do major rock crawling or go international beyond maybe Canada at this point, but I would like to get places 98% of other cars can’t. Mostly just looking forward to the adventure of building and the adventures my wife and I can go on with it. Appreciate everything I’ve learned on this forum and plan to continue to update this thread to keep telling its story. I'll also be posting on the Land Cruiser 100-series portion of the IH8MUD forum, you can find me there as @LndXrsr. That will contain a lot of what's in this thread but also with some more technical posts about maintenance/upgrades. Exploration photos and trip details in both forums for sure. Looking forward to being part of a new community. If you’re in the SW Ohio/N Kentucky area, shoot me a message so we can meet up and talk “local” places to explore and get lost.

More to come...

Last edited:

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Escaped the pandemic for a couple days last weekend and went down to the Daniel Boone National Forest/Red River Gorge area in KY. We did about 75%of the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, which is a 100 mile mix of winding paved, gravel, and 4x4 trails. This stock rig on all-season highway tires was amazing. There were only a handful of sections we didn't think it could manage, so we bypassed a couple small sections of the route. We climbed and descended some impressive slopes with great clearance (the hydraulic adjustable suspension is awesome) and, even more surprising, excellent traction.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50da.jpg

IMG_7562 copy 2.jpg

IMG_7555 copy.jpg

On day two, we ran into one issue...mud. We got a bit off course, and now I know first hand why this site is named what it is.

Embarrassed by how poorly prepared we were. I wanted to get a tow strap or kinetic strap and some recovery boards before heading out on the first adventure, but they didn't have time to ship and I got impatient to go somewhere. After an hour of digging, makeshift traction sticks/rocks, and bringing in sand to get some bite, we were getting nowhere. Thankfully somebody came by with some high-tensile climbing rope to pull us out. Lesson learned...

IMG_7600 copy 2.jpg

IMG_7601 copy.jpg

Reactions: Ty R

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Quick little safety mod I did the other day. Got this small FirstAlert fire extinguisher mounted. Fits perfectly on the second row plastic step. Tucked out of the way with seats up or down but still easy to pop out either way. I know it's not a simple grab from up in front seats, but I'm happy with the result.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50be.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50c1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50b4.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Fog lights needed some polishing, so I used my old 3M drill restoration kit and they came out great.

I upgraded the high beams to 9011s, which everyone swore up and down the internet are lightyears (no pun intended) ahead of the OEM 9005s and fit with a simple trimming of one locking tab. To me, they're a smidge better, but not significantly. I guess for $20 total, it wasn't a bad upgrade. Have some HID upgrades coming from The Retrofit Source including 4500k 35w low beams with the TSX-R clear lenses for better cutoff resolution in the OEM projector bowls. Might upgrade to the Mini H1 Bi-Xenon, LED high beams with built in resistor for DRLs, and go to 3500k HID fogs at some point as well.

Blood pressure always goes up a little when you hit a lens with 500 grit sandpaper:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5110.jpg

Came out great though after multiple passes (500 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit wet sanding pad, rubbing compound, hard wax). Before and after:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5112.jpg

9011 on L vs 9006 on R. More impressive in the photo than in real life to me:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_511a.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Traction boards came in today too. Went with the MAXSA Escaper Buddies which seem to have a bit of a following but are significantly less money than MaxTrax. Likes: solid build, cheaper, fit great across the back of the trunk area (which is where they'll live until I settle on a roof rack). Dislikes: don't really stack on each other at all, traction nubs are a little shallow and smooth.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5116.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5117.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5118.jpg

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Howdy Gang.

I finally took the plunge and joined the forum after hanging out and reading/learning for a bit. Specifically joined because I just started an automotive adventure with a 2000 Land Cruiser so that my wife and I could have, well, adventures.

A little background: I’ve been intermittently working on a variety of cars, snowmobiles, small engines, and boats, first with my dad and then on my own through the years. I grew up in Michigan and my first major project was a beat up Jeep Wrangler that my dad and I rebuilt and modded at lot in our garage. We’d go wander around trails in Northern Michigan and I fell in love with working on all things mechanical and also going out and exploring uncharted territory. My now wife and I would take that Jeep around the woods when we first started dating and discovered many magical and serene places. We’ve since become avid in many different outdoor activities, but national park trips and backcountry hiking have become a major staple of ours. We've used some pretty off-road incapable sedans as base camp before, including this trip to Bryce Canyon, Utah:

IMG_20180611_162100.jpeg

I’ve had too many cars to count over the years, primarily Audis and a couple other Germans. I get the itch for something new every year or two. I’ve always been drawn to cars that offer practicality while still being rare or unique. One of my personal favorites in this category was an Audi Allroad that went on some pretty deep off-road excursions during our time together. Google “Offroad Allroad” sometime and you’ll find a really different build thread; not mine, but I wanted it to be for many years. Since that Allroad, we’ve always had a wagon in the fleet, currently represented by a Volvo V90 Cross Country, which has been the “adventure-mobile” up until this purchase.

IMG_1494.JPG

So how does one go from that history to a 3-ton Lexus SUV? Well, we took a trip to Maui late last year and rented a lifted Tacoma with a rooftop tent to do some mini-overlanding around the entire island. We took it to some pretty amazing unmapped locations that we couldn’t have dreamed of with a generic rental car. It made me realize how badly I wanted a real off-road vehicle that I could build back on the mainland. I thought about various options and was originally pretty interested in a Tacoma to have the practicality of a pickup and the reliability of a Toyota. But it doesn’t meet my “unique” criteria; I mean there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. So I kept digging and of course fell deep into the rabbit-hole of the Toyota Land Cruiser. Perfect combination of capable, Toyota reliable, long-haul comfort/luxury, and most of all, fairly rare.

Exploring Maui:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4e01.jpg

Shockingly, when I mentioned scratching the time-for-a-new-car itch to my wife, she said yes without even too much of a sales pitch. That’s because the premise was to find l Land Cruiser to slowly build for overlanding to augment our hiking/camping habit. I wasn’t looking for anything special or in amazing condition, but something that had good bones and hopefully at least decent maintenance history. Okay, so what I found isn't technically and Land Cruiser, it's a 2000 Lexus LX470...same thing but with 4 kind of ugly headlights. Turns out they're more plentiful and therefore often cheaper. They also have detailed Lexus service records on every vehicle searchable online by the VIN which was super helpful. The car we ultimately ended up with was listed by a small used-car dealer in Cleveland:

2000_lexus_lx_470-pic-4135587032001135817-1024x768.jpeg

Except that it isn’t really from Cleveland, and so the story gets a little more interesting. I found it online from as one of the cheapest ones for sale, especially considering the mileage. Not much info in the listing, the pictures were pretty crappy. But after talking to the guy, he said he picked it up in South Carolina from the original owner who was a family member’s neighbor. He came across the car while he was down visiting his family and planned to bring it back to Cleveland to sell. Except with the pandemic, he got stuck down there and couldn’t really get it advertised well. We texted and he sent me lots of pictures and it was so much cleaner than I would have anticipated for the year, mileage, and price. I confirmed using the Lexus dealer records that it was a FL then SC car its whole life and was dealer maintained up until 3 years and 9k miles ago. Carfax also suggested what he was telling me added up. I put a deposit down and he eventually got it back to Ohio where I bought it off him. One thing to stick to when searching online for a vehicle: don’t assume anything about a car without digging a bit deeper, as there are some real deals to be had out there. What I thought would be a mediocre Ohio rust-belt car, turned out to be a one-owner impeccably-maintained gem from the South just because I asked for more info.

With that, meet “The Beast” the newest member of the family fleet. I know, seems to be a really common rig name around here. Named in our case because we’ve definitely never had a vehicle anywhere near this size and stature. She’s got 181k miles. Completely OEM minus some janky satellite radio wiring coming down the passenger A-pillar. That last dealer visit was for the “180,000 mile service” which is such a hilarious concept for most any vehicle, but not a Toyota like this. Timing belt and water pump done at that service, fluids and all other maintenance done regularly. Thank God for the new dealer timing belt and pump, as I’ve had two of them go in my Audis and bent valves both times. One of those incidents spelled the end for that Allroad I’m so sentimental about.

The Beast arrives home:
IMG_0836 copy.jpg

Initial plans are to baseline the car and drive it as is for a bit. It’s got brand new Michelin Defender LTX tires, which although boring are worth a good bit of coin, so I can’t justify getting rid of them yet. Almost makes me mad, given that I really want to put a good set of 33s on it (I’ve read plenty of threads, still deciding on KO2s vs something else). After that, I’ll starting building a “go bag,” which will really be a med kit, toolkit, some spare parts, and some simple recovery gear for some mild adventures. I'm both somewhat mechanically inclined and also work in healthcare with a special interest in Wilderness Medicine, so these human and vehicle first aid kits will be almost as important as anything else.

Once I get the itch to do more, I’ll probably start with a rooftop tent or in-car sleeping setup +/- a new roof rack. HID upgrade will be a must; I consider that a safety upgrade in addition to just being cool. I have some younger family members in town that I hope to get interested in turning wrenches with some of these projects as well. It might stay mild, it might get wild. Who knows. No real plans to do major rock crawling or go international beyond maybe Canada at this point, but I would like to get places 98% of other cars can’t. Mostly just looking forward to the adventure of building and the adventures my wife and I can go on with it. Appreciate everything I’ve learned on this forum and plan to continue to update this thread to keep telling Beast’s story. I'll also be posting on the Land Cruiser 100-series portion of the IH8MUD forum, you can find me there as @LndXrsr. That will contain a lot of what's in this thread but also with some more technical posts about maintenance/upgrades. Exploration photos and trip details in both forums for sure. Looking forward to being part of a new community. If you’re in the SW Ohio/N Kentucky area, shoot me a message so we can meet up and talk “local” places to explore and get lost.

More to come...
Awesome vehicle and interesting read. Keep posting, I’ll watch the thread for future updates.

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Changed my spark plugs yesterday. Not interesting, I know. Until I screwed it up a bit. While I was torquing the plugs back in, I accidentally put my socket extension into one of holes without the plug socket on. The socket had gotten a bit stuck on the last one I had been tightening and I didn't realize it didn't follow along. The socket extension came down kind of hard on the spark plug top in cylinder #6. Didn't think much of it, tightened things all up and started the car. Had a terrible bunch of misfires and the OBD pointed to #6. I knew right away I screwed something up in there. Turns out my plug took some damage with that misstep and looked like this:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5155.jpg

Fortunately, it doesn't seem like any significant amount of the ceramic insulator made it into the cylinder. There were a couple small chunks resting on the lip down inside that I had to creatively vacuum out. Put an old plug in for now and running great. We'll see how she runs when I have 8 good ones instead of 7...

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Truck is running great on 8 new Denso TT plugs. Much quieter and smoother. Got a coolant flush done as well.

Picked up some tow points from Trail-Tailor and man are they SOLID. They fit 60, 80, and 100-series Cruisers front and rear. Had some old red brake caliper enamel paint that I did a mediocre job putting on and did the factory tow hooks as well. Easy to see where to put a shackle front or rear now. Front and rear each have a hook and a Trail-Tailor tow point. I kept the hooks primarily because in the front, the hook reaches below the factory bumper and won't automatically destroy it if used. Also kept the factory tie down points on the sides with the hooks (but didn't paint them) just in case the car ever needs to be secured on a flatbed.

G99qMGX5SFuQQ%9mDqZOSQ_thumb_5166.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_515a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5159.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Just took a fantastic trip...4,007 miles of perfect comfort, exploration, and reliability from OH to CO and back. We did some backcountry camping in Black Canyon and Rocky Mountain National Parks, but also explored a bit in the LX. We hit the Continental Divide in couple places, camped on BLM land in multiple places, hit Alpine Loop/Animas between Silverton and Lake City and ultimately circled most of the state. Amazing what this thing can do on basic highway tires and completely stock. The truck exceeded all expectations and won my wife over. Even bigger win...convinced her that we need some more upgrades, starting with a set of drawers to make our travels more organized!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5190.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_518d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_51d7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5239.jpg

Last edited:

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Very few things I hated more about the truck than the OEM green dash lighting. Reminds me of crappy 90s GM trucks. Went red for my buttons as I miss my Audis (it's also shown to produce less eye strain at night), and I also "de-greened" the OEM radio. I doesn't match the red, but way better than the factory color. I'll be dropping an aftermarket radio in at somepoint anyway. Dropped in red courtesy door lights in as well to not attract the bugs so bad when we go camping.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5328.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5320.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_531a.jpg

Reactions: RAMXPLR

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

One thing not specific to builds, but that doesn't get much talk on this forum is medical stuff. I'm biased due to my background in healthcare, but a first aid kit (+ training to use it!) is I think the most important thing everyone should have on their travels.

I sourced this excellent backpack from Outer Limit Supply, which I originally found through this forums. I've filled it based on my own skills and medical equipment I've gathered over the years. I really like that the main pocket butterflies open, it's covered in MOLLE, and that it's easy to grab from any angle. Plus it's a backpack, so if you've got to carry it a ways to get to someone, it's much easier.

Inside that, I've got a redundant smaller pack from Adventure Medical Kits that I use for my backcountry hiking and other remote non-vehicle travel. Also stocked from empty to my liking, but both the backpack and smaller kit can be had pre-stocked (big discount on the pack if you're an Overland Bound member and it's HSA deductible).

Happy to talk more about what's in my kit for those interested, and there's lots of great info in the Boot Camp portion of this forum.

Go out and get something, and maybe you'll save a life someday! Or at least be able to tape up someone's blisters...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5333.jpg

gQPNur%iTsamYSweoLfBnQ_thumb_5331.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5332.jpg

Reactions: trivers

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Built a homemade equivalent of the way overpriced RoadShower the other day. Used 4" ABS pipe and the requisite valves. I tried to keep the joints as minimal as possible to avoid leaks, but some spots still had to be siliconed to stop dripping under pressure. Technically ABS pipe isn't rated for any pressure at all, but having seen many examples online and using another truck's shower for a week once, it can easily handle 30+ PSI and results in great pressure for a brief shower or cleaning dishes.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_525b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_525f.jpg

My version holds about 4 gallons and fills from the cleanout cap on top. The angle of the T at the end allows for filling the entirety of the tube without overflowing and without having to have a really tall 90* joint that would increase height even more, while at the same time making the spigot end as low as possible for complete draining.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_525c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5260.jpg

I used U-bolts to secure to the rack, don't have any pics up close of that currently. Wind noise is minimal, can occasionally hear water sloshing front to back at slow speeds. My neighbor decided to have some fun with his window chalk, but nobody's taken us up on the offer yet...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5344.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

So the factory switches for the quarter window or vent window or whatever you want to call them never made sense to me. You should push "outward" on the switches to open and "inward" to close, same motion as the windows themselves. I was going to settle for simply flipping the right switch upside down, but it ended up being a good bit more elaborate than that.

After pulling the switch, I realized Toyota annoyingly (smartly?) put special grooves in the dash and switch body to prevent putting them in the wrong way/on the wrong side. I didn't want to file down my dash panel, so I decided I'd flip the faceplate part itself while leaving the body in its original orientation. You can pop the faceplate off, and also pop the writing part off to keep that upright.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_533a.jpg

Problem is that flipping the faceplate doesn't change what the switch itself does. It just makes the open/close labels wrong. So I got my multimeter out and figured out which pins do the actual motoring. After numerous failed attempts to pull the pins and swap 3 and 5, I simply cut them and put spades terminals on. Really upset I couldn't get the pins out, but I tried every manner of pin and screwdriver and couldn't get the damn things to release. I did put a nice puncture wound in the pad of my thumb...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_533e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5341.jpg

Viola! Switches make sense now!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5342.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Popped in some Depo clear corners, which feel like they have a decent build quality and overall good fitment. Gotta use those chrome bulbs...no egg-yolks here.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5350.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5356.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_534f.jpg

Upgraded to LED reverse lights too. Big difference and an easy job for anyone not wanting to throw some big-time backup lights on.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5347.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5345.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Been hitting up some of the IH8Mud vendors lately. Got CruiserGarage's ScanGuage mount and AC drain extension installed along with the Land Cruiser Products mud flap eliminators painted and mounted. Used a Rustoleum bedliner rattle can which was a pain to spray (didn't want to leave the can no matter how much I shook) but looks good and seems solid in the end.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_535f.jpg

62+ztQAxQgOKgGF3xOYj4w_thumb_535a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_535e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5363.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5365.jpg

Reactions: trivers

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

It took some research, but the factory crossbars do in fact have a T-slot for mounting accessories, in my case some RockyMounts bike racks. What isn't so obvious is that you have to dissemble pretty much the entire rack to take the cross bars off to be able to slide anything into that T-slot.

So my roof looked like this for a bit during the multi-hour process of adding what should have been two simple bike mounts. Very Land Shark...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_536a.jpg

Ultimately I got the T-slots accessible, drilled and trimmed the rubber insert to allow for the mounting plates to snug up flush, and remounted everything. Then I proceeded to load her up, probably well beyond capacity, with two bikes, a kayak, and my roof shower.

FkH7yqs%Tr+KiEw1QQLZCQ_thumb_5368.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_536d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_536c.jpg

Took a short trip down to KY for a couple days of camping. The roof setup did great, but I still want to upgrade. We got soaked the first night while setting up, so now after a couple days the truck smells like a locker room...working on that issue. Also, my new Depo clear corners got a little toasted by my chrome bulbs, both of which burnt out already. Not sure if it was the moisture, or just crappy bulb quality. Different brand on order to find out...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5377.jpg

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

I threw a few coats of Plastidip on my badges and grille last night. The color is "Brass Monkey" and while it's more brown than I thought, I think I like it. The truck is Riverrock Green, which is of course way more gray than green. My wife, who has far better taste than I do, says it looks good. Can't decide how to leave the grille...full plastidip, or uncover the chrome surround, Lexus emblem, or both. Opinions please!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5379.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_537a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_537d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_537c.jpg

Reactions: Nick Malette